Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 09/28/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

frogspawn dropping tenticles

hey guys i have a 8-10 inch colony of frogspawn and in the last week i have seen two 1/8th inch pieces of polyp being carried around in the current of my tank. i have had this coral for over a year and it doesnt look to be declining in health color is good heads are fully opening but why is it doing this . thanks for any help
Old 09/28/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

maybe something is picking at it when your not around?
Old 09/28/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

LPS can drop baby colonies, so don't rule that out, it just isn't super common in most tanks.
Old 09/29/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

picking i dont think so but dont get me wrong im not dismissing it i have never seen anything pick. the baby colony thing i have experienced my kenya tree drops all the time but it is a total softie the frogspawn has a stony base so i dont think it reproduces that way. thanks for the help keep it coming
Old 09/29/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

But they do bud just like softies, it's usually stress related in aquariums though.
Old 09/29/2007, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

I think I've heard of frogspawn releasing sweepers. Maybe it's an act of aggression.
Old 09/29/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

very interesting
Old 09/29/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Oh man this is happening to mine like crazy its damn annoying!!! Sometimes they land on my other corals and sting them. Quite frankly Im thinking of getting rid of mine. I got him when it was the one head the size of a quarter and now its two giant heads sweeping back and forth requiring huge amounts of space. Ahh stupid me I should have known it would get huge. It is nice but its a big stinging machine
Old 10/02/2007, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

This is speculation on my part but I noticed this with mine as well. I don't think it's a stress factor or dropping clones, I think that as heads divide they necessarily have to shed tentacles that are near the demarcation line between the forming heads to grow properly. There's just not enough tissue there (those tentacles are hollow) to have much chance in forming a new colony. If your frogspawn seems healthy, check to see if it has any splitting heads and if there are any "withered" tentacles nearby. It may actually mean that your frogspawn is growing, not stressed.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Mine does the same thing. When I put it in my tank around 5 months ago, it immediatly started growing tiny little buds. It dropped 2 buds and they connnected to my rock. Those have since grown and split into 10 quarter sized frags. The bases are starting to harden so I'm going to frag them and sell/give them away.

Old 10/21/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to tell you this but.. that picture doesn't look like frogspawn. It looks like majano pest anemones.
Old 10/21/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Zen 685...that does not look like any frogspawn I have ever seen. I don't know what it is but doen not resemble frogspawn at all.

reefer...my frogspawn just split from one to 3 heads and has lost some tenticals in the process...I agree with LockeOak check to see if the heads are splitting.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I seen my frogspawn drop a tiny piece of tentacle today
Old 10/23/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Zen685 i have to agree with wicked_NaCl_h2o it looks like majano.
Old 10/23/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Weired, I was going to post a thread asking the same question, and look at which topic was first on the list. My friend suggested that it could be a bristle worm. In that case, has anyone ever heard of freshwater dipping an LPS, such as a frogspawn?
Old 10/27/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Wow your right! I just looked up a picture of majano anemones and they look pretty much like what I thought was frogspawn. They popped up right underneath my frogspawn and had the same coloring so I assumed it was just spreading. On the bright side, I have a nice little majano field. Now I have to decide wheather to keep them or kill them. I liked them until I read they were a pest. I may have to kill them and buy another coral to console my loss.
Old 10/27/2007, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

I have had my Torch Coral lose a tenticle tip when it capturesd a piece of food that was large enough for the current to carry it away. I guess the torch just did not want to let go. This has happened 2x. Can your FS be getting a hold of something (i.e. fish, snail) that is able to pull a tenticle off? Any chance this is trauma from a powerhead or intake?