Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

seahorses!

set up a new system for seahorses. the dispaly is a standard 29g with a 20g sump. the sump has a chamber for the filter sock and a diy needlewheel skimmer and also a chamber which serves as a refugium. attached to the system is a 10hp chiller which keeps the tempurature between 72 and 74 degrees...it also controls a heater in the sump. a panworld external pump delivers water to all components of the system, including a phosban reactor for carbon. i will be adding a second phosban reactor for the phosban media soon. an aqua-medic 250w metal halide and dual t5 fixture hangs above the system. a magnetic hqi ballast drives a pheonix de bulb and the blue t5 bulbs.

seahorses arrived today from seahorsesource.com and i couldn't be happier. i ordered the southern variety of the hippocampus erectus species because they are easy to keep and their fry accept frozen mysis from birth. i intend to try raising some fry! the young horses are temporarily in a 10g that is attached to the system because they are true captive bred specimens that have never seen sand or liverock. being in a familiar type of environment will ease their transition from shipping.

Old 10/30/2007, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

cool i love seahorses. my wife wanted me to set up a seahorse tank. i told her i know nothing about seahorses. i was afraid i would not be able to keep them alive.
Old 10/30/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

I know it's taken you a long time to get your system ready for these guys and I wish you the best of luck! I'll be following their progress as they get accustomed to their new home Ben. Very cool!
Old 10/30/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

panaboy - that is exactly how this tank came about. my wife has been asking me for years to build her a seahorse tank. i finally buckled and did the research. www.seahorse.org has a wealth of information. of course, i had to look at it as another reef tank. it could have been much simpler if it was "just a seahorse tank".

(don't tell her! )
Old 10/30/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Ben,

The new set-up looks great!!!

I really like the two LR towers. What is the background...is it a picture or a faux rock wall?

How long before you will introduce the seahorses into the new display...is there a recommended acclimatization period?

Keep us updated please.
Old 10/31/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the compliments...

the liverock is actually dead "marco rock" that was bleached, rinsed, and cycled with pure ammonia. there is no actual "live rock" in the tank because i wanted to provide as sterile of an environment as possible for the ponies. the sand was dry "pink" aragonite sand. all corals that have gone in, and that will go in, are frags that have been/will be dipped to hopefully help ensure no pathogens or pests enter the system.

the back wall is indeed a "faux" rock wall. it is black spray pond foam, much like "great stuff" insulating foam. i'm very happy with the way it turned out, except that it has come loose from the glass. it is locked in place by the overflow, upper trim, and rock, but there is about a 1/4" gap between the glass and foam on the left side towards the bottom. if i were to do it again i would allow the foam to cure, then pry it loose and silicone it to the glass.

the breeder recommended i keep the seahorses in the bare bottom 10g for at least 3 days to a week. i am to ensure they are eating (check) and pooping (still not sure how to tell this...) before putting them in the display.