Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/13/2006, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

bkelley02--A few months I gave up on capturing the gorillas because they left the glass alone. Try waiting then put glass in different places each night. My cleaner shrimp and some snails go after the bait also. I think the crabs wait until the other critters are through with the bait.
Fred
Old 02/13/2006, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

back in aug. i bought a finger leather. its grown to the point that it's 1/4" from the surface. theres no way to trim it w/o cutting it in half which i don't want to do. will it spread across the surface if i leave it alone?
Old 02/14/2006, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

pat, thought you would get a kick , my wife has been more involved in the tanks lately, and her favorite coral is the green hammer! she loves the color
Old 02/14/2006, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
back in aug. i bought a finger leather. its grown to the point that it's 1/4" from the surface. theres no way to trim it w/o cutting it in half which i don't want to do. will it spread across the surface if i leave it alone?
How high up on the rocks is it? Do you have or can you get a picture of it?

I took some pictures today and tried some different settings. I got thru one part of the video yesterday showing all the different settings on the camera. I still haven't gotten up to the part where they explain why and when to use the settings, but I tried different ones other than the usual "auto" I always use. I think I got some nice pics of the fish. Some were right after I put food in the tank, so all the little dots all over are the food. These are the angel:
Old 02/14/2006, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
pat, thought you would get a kick , my wife has been more involved in the tanks lately, and her favorite coral is the green hammer! she loves the color
They do have some nice color to them. Now you have to get some more colorful corals in there. Try a frogspawn...they're really nice too. Also nice and easy to keep.
Old 02/14/2006, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Someone recently mentioned their porcelains have been getting killed.
I saw one today in the front of the tank that was DOA. I'm not sure if something killed it or possibly it's a molt? Do they molt?
Old 02/14/2006, 12:29 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Yes Pat, they do molt. I find molts from mine all the time, usually just the claws though.

Brian
Old 02/14/2006, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

pay, i'll shoot you a pic later
Old 02/14/2006, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Pat, your angel has much more yellow on its body than mine.
Old 02/14/2006, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Pat, your angel has much more yellow on its body than mine.
Really? Can you get another picture of it so we can compare?
I didn't do anything to the photos besides re-size and sharpen.
Old 02/14/2006, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

My Mom needed her camera back!

Here is the pic I posted the other day.

Old 02/14/2006, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Yep, I can see mine has more yellow. Maybe they develop more yellow as the get older? What size did you buy? I bought small.

Here are some of Bob's pictures.

I think I can see where you could snip pieces off so it isn't as tall.
Old 02/14/2006, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

I had another casualty today. My White Cheek Tang died. Found all the serpent stars snacking on him behind all the rockwork so there is no chance for me to get him. Something started happening on Friday where some of the Chicken Liver sponge started dieign. Then the Sea Star dies followed by most of my corals refusing to extend their polyps. I thought things had started to turn around last night as the corals started looking better again and all the fish were active and eating well. Not happy as the tang would follow me around the tank waiting for me to throw some food/nori his way.
Old 02/14/2006, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
I had another casualty today. My White Cheek Tang died. Found all the serpent stars snacking on him behind all the rockwork so there is no chance for me to get him. Something started happening on Friday where some of the Chicken Liver sponge started dieign. Then the Sea Star dies followed by most of my corals refusing to extend their polyps. I thought things had started to turn around last night as the corals started looking better again and all the fish were active and eating well. Not happy as the tang would follow me around the tank waiting for me to throw some food/nori his way.
That sucks! Sorry to hear that Brian. Did you get all the sponge out so the water params can get back to normal? What are the readings in the tank, that things started dying and not expanding?
Old 02/14/2006, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Brian- so sorry to hear about the tang. White-cheek tang are one of my favorites, such beautiful fish. Any idea what happened?
Old 02/14/2006, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

i don't want to chop the top off the leather coral, i think it would look horrid. any idea what type of mushroom is in the picture?
Old 02/15/2006, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
i don't want to chop the top off the leather coral, i think it would look horrid. any idea what type of mushroom is in the picture?
You might not have to chop off the top of it. Look on the stems of it and you can see places you can trim off. I don't know anything about mushrooms, but I really like the green color. Do you only have that one or have they split and multiplied for you?

Here are some pictures I took yesterday. Look at the foxface up at the top of the tank. He was going up there and drinking. It was weird. I never saw that before, but he kept doing it while I was taking the pictures.

Here he is eating a piece of krill:
Old 02/15/2006, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

are you talking about the green shroom in the right hand side of the picture
Old 02/15/2006, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
are you talking about the green shroom in the right hand side of the picture
Yes, I think so. What one(s) are you referring to?
Old 02/15/2006, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

We finally got the shipping label from Sunlight Supply, to send the lights back for repair. I told you all that Bob had thrown out the box the lights came in.
Well he had to go to a place that sells shipping supplies and packaging. He went today and it cost $47 something for the packaging of the lights. (The shipping label from Sunlight was pre-paid)
I always tell Bob to save original boxes at least until the warranty runs out. I know I won't have to worry about him throwing out boxes anymore.
Old 02/15/2006, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

the mushroom i'm talking about for an id is the one with all the bumps in the last picture
Old 02/15/2006, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

I didn't even realize it was a mushroom. I thought it was some type of ricordia or bta.
It almost looks to be some kind of hairy mushroom.
Old 02/15/2006, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Here are some of the gramma pictures I took yesterday:
Old 02/15/2006, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Pat- That camera takes fantastic pictures! Great job. How's the CD tutorial going?
Old 02/15/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Noone answered DW--

Quote:
Originally posted by dwculp
Anyone here keep any Acropora? I was thinking of getting some purple acropora ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=745 ) but I was a little afraid as I hear they are difficult.
I don't have any SPS, but if I was was going to try some, I'd go for either the encrusting Montipora or another species of Montipora... they seem to be less demanding than the acropora species, at least from what I read from Borneman's book.

Anyone still have their chilli coral? Mine hasn't expanded in months now I have been feeding liquid life bioplankton occasionally, but since it never opens up, I doubt it is getting any.

I think I am going to lose it.