Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/10/2006, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Let's try it again.

Porcelin crab

Old 02/10/2006, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Now that I redid it all the pic fixed themselves.
Old 02/10/2006, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Pat and Dennis, EXCELLENT PICS!!

The longnose Hawkfish is the last one I want for my tank.

Something keeps ripping the claws off my Porcelain Crabs. I have about 6 left out of about 18 and they're all missing their claws. Only thing I can think of is one of the few remaining gorilla's which are all pretty small or the serpent stars. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 02/10/2006, 07:33 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Mine still have all their claws. Do you have any aggressive fish/crabs/eels/etc in the tank? Porcelains are known to "drop" claws when frightened and it takes a LOT of food for them to regrow them.

Brian
Old 02/10/2006, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Nothing but a Kole Tang who used to use the spot where the crabs hung out as a bathroom and a White Cheek tang that showed absolutely no interest in them.

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Mine still have all their claws. Do you have any aggressive fish/crabs/eels/etc in the tank? Porcelains are known to "drop" claws when frightened and it takes a LOT of food for them to regrow them.

Brian
Old 02/10/2006, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Something is wrong with my computer. It was acting sluggish, so I rebooted and now it won't boot up. It's giving me a message saying error with OS.
So, I am on my lappy.....but I had to start fresh with my OE and have no email addys or anything. No bookmarks/Favorites, etc.
I feel lost.
Old 02/10/2006, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

We're all here for you Pat!!
Old 02/10/2006, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
We're all here for you Pat!!
Thanks. Well at least I could remember the RC site. Some of the other places I go I can't remember the website! (My memory is very bad).
I will see what's with the computer tomorrow. I wanted to finish watching the Ranger game before I worried about it. Now it's too late to start messing around with it.
I'm just wondering if the hard drive died or something. I rebooted and pressed F10 to do a system restore, but it doesn't even read the OS. But then if the drive died, I'm still up the creek with all the stuff I had on it. LOL

Everyone take some more pictures to cheer me up.
And tomorrow we're having the blizzard, so I am not going to any store to buy a new HD.
Old 02/11/2006, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
And tomorrow we're having the blizzard, so I am not going to any store to buy a new HD.
I just checked the weather for my kids up in CT. They are under a blizzard watch also. I sure don't miss that weather!!! We are expecting showers this afternoon and cool weather today. Much colder tomorrow and into the beginning of the week. It will be the coldest temps so far this season, only getting up in the low 50's!! Brrrrrrrr!!!

All of you up in that blizzard watch area, stay safe and stay warm!!
Old 02/11/2006, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
I just checked the weather for my kids up in CT. They are under a blizzard watch also. I sure don't miss that weather!!! We are expecting showers this afternoon and cool weather today. Much colder tomorrow and into the beginning of the week. It will be the coldest temps so far this season, only getting up in the low 50's!! Brrrrrrrr!!!

All of you up in that blizzard watch area, stay safe and stay warm!!
Thanks. We won't get the snow until tonight, so we're fine for today at least. It will probably make up for the 50's and 60's we've had much of the winter so far.

Just think....if we had taken up my sister's offer, we'd be down in Tampa right now. I wouldn't be happy with 50's weather if I were there. That's what we've been having much of this winter up here.

I figured out what was wrong with my pc, so I am back up and running again. I'm glad. The lappy is good for a backup, but not for all day long.
Old 02/11/2006, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Re: Finally!!

Quote:
Finally got around to taking some pics and the Tang on steroids calmed down enough for the new fish to come out.

Male Lyretail

Female Lyretails

6 line Wrasse

New Sea Star

Not the clearest pics but they were moving like crazy!
Brian...what kind of clam is that under the wrasse?

Also...everything I've read about sea stars (serpents excluded) makes me wonder if the critter can survive a tank. Do you feed yours something specifically?
Old 02/11/2006, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Re: Finally!!

Quote:
Finally got around to taking some pics and the Tang on steroids calmed down enough for the new fish to come out.

6 line Wrasse

New Sea Star

Not the clearest pics but they were moving like crazy!
Brian...what kind of clam is that under the wrasse?

Also...everything I've read about sea stars (serpents excluded) makes me wonder if the critter can survive a tank. Do you feed yours something specifically?

Finally - to the upper left of the sea star - is that a monti cap?
Old 02/11/2006, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Phil,

Clam is a Gold Tear Drop Maxima.

That Sea Star is a fromia (sp) species and is supposed to be fairly easy to care for. We'll see as I've only had it since Thursday. Seemed to be doing good but today I'm not so sure. Still active, but seems like it's ejecting part of it's stomach.

Yes, that's a Red Cap frag. Starting to grow quickly now though.
Old 02/11/2006, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

That red cap is awesome looking. I've always liked the monti caps.
I need to get another one.

Just sold my skimmer, so there's nothing left of my tank but pictures and memories.
Old 02/12/2006, 03:31 AM
Premium Member

bkelley02-- I was loosing my porcelain crabs until I finally decided to get rid of my gorilla crabs. I thought they weren't hurting anything till I caught one trying to kill my firefish. I just used the tilted drinking glass trick. I also took out a red mithrex that had overnight developed a taste for pipe organ coral(the red mithrex only had one claw for some reason). No problems since I removed both crabs in the same night.
HTH
Fred
Old 02/12/2006, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Fred. I'm still trying to get the Gorilla's out but there are a few left that are in places I can't seem to get to. They don't fall for the glass thing but It's been a while, so maybe I can give it another try!
Old 02/12/2006, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

So far, everything seems to still be living with no problems from less light. I still didn't get the label to mail the lights in for repair.

Some pictures:
Old 02/12/2006, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

to bkelly

re focus - if your camera allows put it on shutterpriority and set it for 80 or 100 and hopefully there is enough light so thats its calulated f stop will compensate to let enough light in

a tripod will not work because its the fish that are moving not you
Old 02/12/2006, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

nice - you take good shots - if you want more of your target pics to be focused try setting fstop priority and set to a low value - they are focsed its just that your debth of field is letting the outer portions of your target to be out of focus

alternatively if you set it at a real high setting, you background will darken, which is a nice effect.

are you using a flash if so it, is working color-wise

[QUOTE]Originally posted by patsan
[B]So far, everything seems to still be living with no problems from less light. I still didn't get the label to mail the lights in for repair.

Some pictures:
Old 02/12/2006, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

jnb, Thanks for the info. Part of my problem is I'm trying to track and focus on the moving fish through a bowfront. Just one of my many photographic problems.

I had a loss last night, The Marbled Sea Star decided it's inside needed to outsides. I bought it from Liveaquaria and they already credited my account.
Old 02/12/2006, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
nice - you take good shots - if you want more of your target pics to be focused try setting fstop priority and set to a low value - they are focsed its just that your debth of field is letting the outer portions of your target to be out of focus
alternatively if you set it at a real high setting, you background will darken, which is a nice effect.
are you using a flash if so it, is working color-wise
Thanks for the tip!! Now if I had a clue what you were talking about, I'd do it!
Old 02/12/2006, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

I can expound and help if you want - you have a great camera which allows fine tuning your shots

or you may already be happy enough - I don't want to complicate your fun.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!! Now if I had a clue what you were talking about, I'd do it!
Old 02/12/2006, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
I can expound and help if you want - you have a great camera which allows fine tuning your shots
or you may already be happy enough - I don't want to complicate your fun.
I just got a learning CD for the camera....so that should help me understand all this technical stuff. I am doing one lesson at a time, and I haven't gotten up to that part yet.
Old 02/12/2006, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

ok - I'll let you pace yourself

the rate you are going your shots will soon be worth of a coffee table book

patan of ReefCentral - beautiful reef shots - for coffee tables - 69.95 amazon.com

Quote:
I just got a learning CD for the camera....so that should help me understand all this technical stuff. I am doing one lesson at a time, and I haven't gotten up to that part yet.
Old 02/12/2006, 11:08 PM
Robotic Overlord

Anyone here keep any Acropora? I was thinking of getting some purple acropora ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=745 ) but I was a little afraid as I hear they are difficult.