Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/27/2006, 07:15 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

Is it Ich?

I have a blonde naso tang that I've had for almost 1 month. He has always had some spots that were more noticeable when the lights were out. But were barely visible during the daylight hours. Well today I came home and he has these weird spots on him that are only on one side. And he doesn't seem to be affected by it. They look like they are abrasions but there are 4-5 of them in a grouping only on his side. no other fish seems to have them. How can I tell if its ich.

Sorry there is no pic, but my camera is broken. Thanks
Old 02/27/2006, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Does the tang rub against the sand or rocks? Do the "spots" resemble dark or white spots, sometimes as small as a grain of salt?

I just lost a tang to this nightmare, and I must say that you should act as soon as you can because a disease like Ich can overpower a tang very quickly.
Old 02/27/2006, 07:27 PM
RC Mod

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Those two articles cover ich pretty well. The first talks a bit about diagnosing. I'd just assume the fish has a disease and start up a hypo-hospital tank.
Old 02/27/2006, 09:14 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

They don't look like the stereotypical ich spots. And they are about 2-3cms big. So they are larger then ich spots. Plus they are not on his tail or fins. Just on his side.

I have a bunch of sps and frogspawn and a large carpet anemone. could those spots be caused by one of those?
Old 02/28/2006, 02:12 AM
RC Mod

The carpet anemone could do some damage. I've seen some nasty photos of such encounters. I wouldn't think the others could do anything.
Old 02/28/2006, 02:20 AM
Premium Member

do you have a blonde Naso tang in a 55 gallon??????? they get HUGE.. how big is it now? It will grow relatively fast and will out grow you tank very quickly... might be stressed
Old 02/28/2006, 04:00 AM
Knows Victoria's Secret

He is still small. But I am going to be getting a larger tank in just about a year. And he was in my co-workers 20 gallon for 3 months before I got him. So I doubt he is stressed after 1 month of being in my tank.
Old 02/28/2006, 09:28 AM
Knows Victoria's Secret

I think it may be HLLE. It kinda looks like the tang in this pic. But Not as severe, and only in the middle of his body.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/atta...id=85735&stc=1
Old 02/28/2006, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

You might want to talk to the guys at "NoSickFish.com", those guys a pretty helpful at diagnosing problems, and I have had great success with their reef safe treatment products.

Good Luck & Happy mardi Gras !!!!!

Creighton
Old 02/28/2006, 12:54 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

Thats a good idea, thanks!