Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Help! I have poured milk into my tank!

I just got home from a very long drive home from vacation, I was tired and cranky and I saw that my sump was really low and it was shooting bubbles into the display tank.

I only had a gallon of drinking water in the fridge handy at the time, and I decided that would probibly work considering the temp was a little high as well.

Before I knew it I had poured a half a gallon of milk into my sump.

I immediatly shut everything down and took emergency actions. luckily, none of the milk got a chance to run through the system and get into the display before I noticed my mistake. I drained as much water as I could out of the sump and fuge and cleaned all the pumps and equipment as thourghly as I could, rinsed the LR off completely, rinsed the sand in my fuge as best as I could, and replaced all the tainted water with fresh mixed water. (about 13 gallons worth. The tank holds about 50 gallons between the sump/fuge and display) and added a small bag of activated carbon.

So my question is, what do I do now? Do I just wait and see? Check for amonia spikes, etc? What should my next steps be?

Some specs: 37 gallon display, 13 gallon sump/ fuge, 90+ lbs of LR, 2 O. clowns, a Potters Angel, and various softies.

thanks! Hope you got a good laugh from my stupidity!

-Matt
Old 07/16/2007, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

I'd just blame it on this guy

Nah, it sounds like you've done about as much as you can for it. If you were able to suck it out of your sump before it got in your tank I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 07/16/2007, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

...that's one way to supplement calcium!
Old 07/16/2007, 09:09 AM
Team RC Member

Your protein skimmer will help some. LEt it run wet and keep dumping---if it will run, because of the oils/fats. A sump-only 30% water change would help. Carbon and bluewhite filter material would help. A 1 micron filter might help---can't stop the liquid, but as it gets dirty it might start grabbing the solids.

Best rule: only work on your tank when your head is clear, not when you are fatigued or otherwise not atop your game.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/16/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

maybe toss in a tablespoon of ovaltine?
Old 07/16/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Kick the heater on full blast, throw in some sugar, and a couple of tea bags and have some friends over for a party.... English style
Old 07/16/2007, 09:45 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by drstupid
Classic...

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 07/16/2007, 11:04 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by drstupid
rich, chocolate ovaltine?
Old 07/16/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

I got back from vacation yesterday. 11 hour drive from Ohio. Luckily a fellow reefer and good freind took care of my tank for me. At least the milk didn't make it into the tank. Also I really can't see it hurting much cause it sounds like you cleaned everything well.
Old 07/16/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Another good reason to have a sump: D I don’t know how many times I’ve accidentally added too much additive and was able to shut off the return pump before it nuked the tank. Anyway, about a month ago I spilled a cup of coffee (w/ plenty of milk) in a 14gal bio cube. I did a large water change right away and the tank didn’t seem to have been affected in anyway.
Old 07/16/2007, 06:42 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

nothing toxic in milk. only the nutrient spike when that starts getting broken down by the bacteria, so yeah, killing the return pump, and changing all the sump water would do it.

and no, oreos don't epoxy worth a crap either.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

I knew there'd be some bad calcium jokes in this. lol

Yeah, I don't think milk would be that bad for as little as you used and by the time it gets diluted. Not that I'd advocate dumping milk in a tank but it's better than a half gallon of most anything else.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Ive always wondered what watered down milk tastes like, except with salt added.....
This thread reminded me of some stupid guy who heard milk is good for your bones so put a betta (freshwater fish incase you didnt know) in PURE milk, it didnt last long. Then he went on another forum and told everyone of his "experiment" and told everyone not to do it because its not good for bones. Well he got flamed and then banned.... Funny thing was he never realized how stupid that was. Poor fishy
Old 07/16/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

More ovaltine, please!!
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, In the ocean as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily surf. And forgive us our stolen waves, As we forgive those who pull out in front of us. And lead us not into white water, But deliver us from the tube. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:30 PM
yes it's my aquarium

there are much easier ways to process whole milk into skimmed milk...
Old 07/16/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Re: Help! I have poured milk into my tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by RocketSeason
What should my next steps be?

-Matt
Hope that your fish aren't lactose intolerant.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

as you can see from our jokes, your probably fine.....
Old 07/16/2007, 08:21 PM
Boomer gave me this

I'd dunk some oreos in there, eat them and go to sleep. You must really need it.
C
Old 07/16/2007, 08:24 PM
yes it's my aquarium

somebody told me that pasteurized milk inhibits calcification...
Old 07/16/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

I don't use bottled milk, I breast feed my fish.
Old 07/16/2007, 09:03 PM
Team RC Member

IT's probably no comfort at all, but in my 40-odd years in the hobby I've heard of cheerios, fruit loops, cocktail shrimp, various mixed drinks, vodka, toy cars, wallets, car keys, whole cans of fish food, pieces of a tuna sandwich, and tv remotes [twice], but I've never known anyone to top off a tank with half a gallon of milk. Thank goodness for sumps, indeed.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/16/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
lol good oen Gary..."skimmed" milk...clasSic
Old 07/17/2007, 08:02 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
you win!
Old 07/17/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Matt--

Excuse all the jokers on this forum. I do hope that you will tell us all how it came out. I am with the group that doesn't expect much of a problem at all, since you got most of the milk out of the system ASAP. It would be interesting to know though what to expect if any of us ever make a similar mistake. Does your skimmer go crazy for a while? Do you get an algae bloom? Does something unexpected crash or bloom, etc?

I had a boxfish which poisoned my whole tank about six weeks back (major bummer!). I have been too depressed to write about it, but one thing that was very obvious was I immediately got the most horrific algae bloom I have ever had. I found all of the dead fish (7) within less than three hours of the meltdown, so I am pretty sure they didn't decompose much to add nutrients. Maybe the bloom was mostly the effect of the sudden loss of my algae eaters (two tangs and a coral beauty, plus a fair slice of the clean up crew), but I have also wondered if the toxin boxfish emit has high levels of phosphorus or other algae "food".

Anyway, lesson learned. I don't plan to keep any species that can take out the whole tank in the future. It is way to depressing if it actually happens! Milk, by comparison, is a pretty benign substance to put in the tank.

--Ending with Apologies to All in Advance
Old 07/17/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by okdave
I don't use bottled milk, I breast feed my fish.
I think this one is the winner.