Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/14/2005, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Well Needless to Say...the Pictures Kinda Pounded all that in alittle for me... I now Have 2 New GFCI Outlets behind my tank!
Old 02/01/2005, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

I'm curious as to how I would measure the "stray" voltage in my tank. Let me preface this by letting you know how my curiosity started. During some normal tank maintenance I felt a slight tingle when I touched the water in my sump. I pulled out the multimeter, set the dial to A/C 10 (there are three settings, 1000, 100, & 10), attached the black probe in the ground section of a three prong extension cord and then inserted the red probe into the sump. By isolating each item on my tank I got the follow readings:

Sump Pump: 3 V
Fuge Light: 10 V
IC 660 tank lighting: 7V
Rio3100 Skimmer pump: 40V

I plan on getting a new skimmer pump. This should eliminate the 40 V reading that I got. I also cleaned off all the equipment and now have a reading of .75 V with the tank lighting, sump pump and closed loop circ pump.

My question is: Am I taking the readings correctly? If you have “stored�/�Stray� voltage in the tank and I attach the probes as mentioned above, this will allow me to measure the current leaving the tank, entering my multimeter, leaving my multimeter, and flowing to the ground in the extension cord. Am I measuring this correctly?

You can view my thread at: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...517612#newpost

I hope the link works.
Old 02/01/2005, 10:47 AM
my reef

wow i feel like i just read a horror story, anyway, be careful what you put the ground too. I used the ground on my outlet, well one day while i was adding my hand to the water, i go lit up. thought it was a bad power head, nope found it was the probe adding the current, but they are a great idea.
brown plate
pink with white tip table
pink monti branch
Old 02/01/2005, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twokayaks

Sump Pump: 3 V
Fuge Light: 10 V
IC 660 tank lighting: 7V
Rio3100 Skimmer pump: 40V
Why does this not surprise me
Old 02/01/2005, 12:49 PM
my reef

yea love them rio, i almost met my death with one.
brown plate
pink with white tip table
pink monti branch
Old 02/01/2005, 08:30 PM
SPS Slave

You know, this board is stuffed full of posts of contradictory information. For just about every topic, you can search and find that there are people who are diametrically opposed. That's why I always take everything with a large grain of salt, and I keep on reading. The human condition is such that we want to ask a question, and take the first answer as gospel so we can immediately make a decision and move on with it.

But in this case, I must say that I have heard so strikingly many stories of Rio pumps failing and failing in very harmful ways, that I will NEVER, EVER even consider buying or using one.

We now resume our normal programming already in progress.

Old 02/02/2005, 01:32 AM
Don't make me use this

Quote:
Originally posted by ranceego
yea love them rio, i almost met my death with one.
what a coincidence, me too!!!! A few years ago I was doing maintenance on my tank & knocked a rio800 on a skimmer, and suddenly found myself on the floor, dazed, and missing about 10 seconds of time, and a HUGE pain in my arm. Needless to say, the Rio had fried.

Incidentally, it's also amazing how keen a mother's intuition and psychic ability about the health of her children is. Not thirty seconds had passed when my mother called saying she just had a very bad feeling about me and wanted to make sure I was o.k. Pretty creepy. I don't use Rios anymore, or CA after my most recent incident. In regards to marine aquarium equipment, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You can quote me on that if you like.

Nate

Nate
Old 02/02/2005, 11:12 AM
River Rat

CA? (sorry drawing a blank) I have been having some concern about the seio-I hear they are made by same people as rio!
Old 02/02/2005, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Catalina pumps.
The new rio's are actually pretty good. The hyperflow series and seios. The others are pieces of crap.
gotta go to work later.
Old 02/04/2005, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Help out a dummy

OK, first things first- I'm female, and a lot of this discussion is kind of going over my head.

Secondly, I'm not in Richmond....I think I found this thread while searching for 'chiller'

What exactly causes the problem? If a heater fails.... what makes it dangerous? Is it only if water travels down the power cord?
Old 02/04/2005, 04:03 PM
Flea Slide

Re: Help out a dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by kewliz
OK, first things first- I'm female, and a lot of this discussion is kind of going over my head.

Secondly, I'm not in Richmond....I think I found this thread while searching for 'chiller'

What exactly causes the problem? If a heater fails.... what makes it dangerous? Is it only if water travels down the power cord?
Water traveling down the cord is only one of many posibilities.

Heaters, Magnetic Drive Pumps and powerheads have internal wiring inmersed under the water. These wires are insulated from making a short circuit with the water by the use of rubber or plastic seals, wire insulation, epoxi resins, glass and such. The prolem is that over time or with an over load, the rubber or plastics can melt, the glass can break and the epoxi can crack creating that short circuit and as such electrifying the water.

In very simple form:
1. With a GFCI if you touch the water it will trip and save you.
2. With a GFCI and a grounding probe the GFCI will trip as soon as the short circuit is established regardless if you touch the water or not so giving you a sooner and better indication that something is wrong. Using both GFCI and Probe is safer for you but if you happen to be at work or traveling when this happens the system will shut down and your aquarium may be without power for a while. So option 1 is safer for the fish abut option 2 is safer for you.
Old 02/04/2005, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Gotcha! ok
Old 02/04/2005, 06:42 PM
River Rat

well put, in a short way, jdieck!
Old 02/04/2005, 06:54 PM
Flea Slide

Old 10/13/2006, 07:29 AM
River Rat

guess this should be bumped to top every once in a while

Last edited by Charlie Davidson; 10/13/2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10/13/2006, 08:37 AM
Super Duper Member

yeah those pics really make you think
Old 10/13/2006, 10:55 AM
titankinetics.com

GFCI

I love having a GFCI outlet by my tank but hated it when after being at work it tripped due to a short I don't know how or where. In a way I was glad because everything had lived through it and my house didn't burn down. After that I added a BUPS to one pump so that it would turn the water for about a few hours.
I guess a love hate relationship.
Old 10/13/2006, 01:33 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Well damn, sounds like I'm going to be going to Lowes this afternoon to pick up a few of these GFCI outlets.

I took a bad shock from a ceiling fan one time and don't care to have that happen again.

It sounds like a good strategy would be to get the GFCI and ground probe, and just remove the ground probe when you go on vacation . . . what do you think?
Old 10/13/2006, 03:16 PM
Flea Slide

Just got to remember to test the GFCIs once a month.
Old 10/13/2006, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Well that was a good Find Charlie....... Something I posted on back in 01/12/2005 .. Hope It helps a few people out.
Old 10/14/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Now this would be a great topic for a meeting at someone's house who actually has this already done.

Frags
California Tort
Brown digi
Orange Cap on Frag Mag