Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/23/2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Over about a two week period, it all of a sudden started lookng bad. From the backbone up it started looking thin and started loosing its color.
Just in case somebody missed it, that is a description of a malnourished fish. Can be caused by intestinal or other internal parasites or lack of proper food. If any other fish in your tank start showing these same signs, the treatment is safe & easy & has a high success rate - PM me if you wind up needing info

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 09/15/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

I am going to resurect this thread for a second.

I am getting mine Directly from the collector and its arriving this sunday.

What food should I immediatly try to get it eating?

And should I or shouldnt I QT the fish?

thanks!

-Matt
Old 09/15/2006, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't put a Potter's through the same type of quarantine as other fish. If you can isolate the Potter's in its own tank with lots of LR and algae, pods, etc. by all means do, but if that's not possible and the fish looks healthy, I'd place it directly into your display. These fish need a mature tank with lots of rock so they can graze -- IMO putting a Potter's into a bare QT is just asking for trouble.

Best of luck, they're stunning fish.
Old 09/15/2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

i have a very healthy looking potters (his name is harry, get it...) and have had him successfully for about 2-3 months. got him at my LFS looking a bit slim. his holding tank was bare and had no algae or LR to graze, as well he was mixed with a few other dwarfs of like size and was mingling with others in the tank but just didnt look happy. i had been wanting this particular fish for a while and jumped at the oppertunity to purchase when i had the chance. i did not see him grazing as there was nothing to graze on in his holding tank, nor did i see him take prepared foods in the store (i know, i know). i figured he was probably a little stressed from transport, but i happened to see him on the first day he was introduced to the stores display and took him home as soon as i could. i have a 40g reef with about 65 lbs LR and added him directly to my display when i got home. acclimated him for almost an hour and fed my other fish prior to introducing him the the rest of the community, in hopes of reducing hunger competition related stress from the rest of my more dominant fish (4 stripe damsel of like size, scooter blenny, orange spot goby, and a false perc). as expected he found a nice rock to hide in for like a day or two, but almost as soon as i introduced him he was grazing off the rock. now he is one of the most active members in my community and actually responds to my presence, swimming up to the glass when i am observing. i dont know if i just lucked out and got a good specimin or he was just extremely famished but he is in there and eating like a pig everyday now. only prob i have is occationally he WILL pick at my sps's, not really trying to eat them just eaing around them to get the algae off and around there bases. but none the less, it irritates the corals and i dont get very good polyp extension. but corals are growing and are colorful so i am not going to worry about it too much. beautiful fish with interesting color pattern. i was drawn to him because his pattern is so similar to the chevron tang that i used to have (R.I.P.). dont know if this helps anyone but i just wanted to share my experience with this usually tempermental and difficult fish. try to add a pic. not the greatest pic, but he always moves so its kinda tough. here ya go...i'll try to get a better pic later
Old 09/21/2006, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Well My potter is in the tank now. He is hiding mostly. venturing out from behind the rockwork only long enough to zoom across the open area and back behind the rockwork again.

I have plenty of Algea for him to munch on should he get the urge. I haven't seen him do it yet, but I am away most of the day. I am feeding the tank formula 1 and 2 frozen daily to try and entice him. Nothing yet. So far its been 3 feedings without any luck. We will see what will happen from here.

-Matt
Old 09/21/2006, 09:45 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel*Fish
Wow that's pretty cool - and no I've never seen this even with other species of Centropyge - but Potter's angels are very much detrivores, that's for sure.

There's another thread going on this and one point that was made is that a sterile tank is not a suitable environment. I was thinking that probably many people who feel comfortable trying a Potter's often feel more confident because they have such a successful "clean" tank - when it may be that those tanks with a few nitrates and a little algae would be more suitable candidates for a Potter's - just a thought

Maybe a dying coral would even be a good item to include in a Potter's quarantine ???

And if possible a flagfin j/k
It is neat and I have also observed it in other centropyge species, namely C. flavissimus. Working at a pet store, you would be surprised how many fish (usually juveniles) 'clean' other fish. I am not sure if it is a captive induced behavior or something that we just haven't observed in the wild.
Old 09/21/2006, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

I've seen my venustus performing as cleaners also.
Old 09/21/2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAngels
I've seen my venustus performing as cleaners also.
You're probably just mistaking this for attempts to make-out with the other fish lol j/k

Seriously - do they clean fish the same size as themselves? I'm trying to figure out why i haven't seen this...angels are my biggest fish (largest is a Singapore). Maybe it's the species of angel ...hmmm...maybe i'm too busy posting on RC and should watch the aquarium occasionally

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 09/21/2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

POTTER

POTTER? ?
man this is an easy fish to keep as long as you buy it from a reliable source. most of potters in the market suffer from poor collection method.

this is a hardy fish, much hardier than flame angelllll
Old 09/22/2006, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

angel*fish: Cleaning much bigger angels.