Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2007, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Free to good home - N. Wennerae - No. VA (Ashburn)

Smallish (1.25" or so). Recently molted, so he's got a little color. Hitchhiked in on some Gulf rock and has been in my quarantine tank for the last 2 weeks. He's eating and doing reasonably well.

Free to good home; pick up only. Ashburn is in Northern Virginia (sp. Loudoun County), which is about 30 miles east of Washington, DC.
Old 10/15/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Not gonna keep this one around? LOL. If the nano cube I set up last week was cycled I'd call dibs again. This one have the same colors as "monty"?

If you don't find someone that wants it... I have a buddy that might give it a home in his fuge until my cube cycles. I'll ask him tomorrow morning and let ya know.
Old 10/16/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Man I'd love to have it but I'm all the way down in Georgia.
Old 10/16/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

He was scared to death of the idea. LOL. Good luck finding him a home.
Old 10/19/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Origami Ive got a 2g tank you could have and stick him in there if you like.
Old 10/20/2007, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Jambi, if you want him, you can have him. He's kind of cute and doing very well, I think. He'd enjoy having a real home, though, and sitting in my small quarantine tank, with the sterile environment, is not exactly his nominal habitat. I'd really like to see him in a real setup where he could thrive. If you're willing to do that for him, he's yours. Send me a PM and we can arrange a pick up.

Hey Stephen. How's Monty doing? This one was rather plain when I first found him. But, when he molted, his colors were much better. This guy's a lot smaller, though. Perfect to grow into a nano, I think. If Jambi doesn't come through, then I'd be happy to hold him for you until your nano cycles and you get back this way.

By the way, I still have a click in my display... way in the back. Have never seen him, but am pretty sure he's there. Maybe this new guy's destined to be mine.

Last edited by Origami2547; 10/20/2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

He's well. Built a strong little fort out of rubble under a hollowed out rock near the top middle of the tank. His greens and purples are pretty intense now. Too bad I can't get him to stay still long enough for a pic. Thanks. I appreciate that. If I can work out a small sump/fuge for Monty's tank I may be able to take him sooner if you don't find someone.
Old 10/21/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

will you ship?
Old 10/22/2007, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Supressivefire: Sorry, no, I'm disinclined to ship because I have no experience shipping livestock and I'd prefer not to stress the mantis any more than I have to if I can find local interest in him.

Stephen, great to hear that Monty's doing well and also about his color. I've offered this new one to Jambi but haven't heard back from him in the past couple of days. If that falls through, the next time you're in my area, you may have a passenger along to help you meet the HOV quota!

Jambi, PM me if you're still interested!
Old 10/23/2007, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Stephen,
Jambi can't come through on this. If you'd like Monty, Jr., you can have him the next time you're in the area and ready for him. Please reply if interested.
Old 10/25/2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

bump for Stephen....
Old 10/25/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Hey Origami. I'll take him. I won't be able to make it up to that area until Thursday or Friday of next week however. Can you hold onto him for that long? I'll understand if someone picks him up first.
Old 10/26/2007, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I can hold him but I'll be out for that weekend beginning 4 PM that day. Maybe we could meet an hour or so before that?