Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

maroon and yellow stripes maroon

Hi ,

Do think a regular maroon clownfish could go with a yellow stripes maroon clownfish ?

My maroon ( regular) is alone, and i will buy a new friend ...

( sorry my english is not perfect ....)

thank you
nancy
Old 09/24/2007, 11:19 PM
Moved On

it depends on how old your current maroon is, they can be quiet difficult to get to accept a new 'friend' and even harder to get them to 'pair up'.
Old 09/24/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

My current maroon is about 2 inchs ( sorry , i dont know how old it is )

If i understand , whatever the stripes ( white or yellow) , these maroon can be matched ?

thank's
nancy
Old 09/25/2007, 12:15 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by aramiss
If i understand , whatever the stripes ( white or yellow) , these maroon can be matched ?
Not exactly, yes a maroon will sometimes tank to a gold stripe but there are times that a they won't even allow their own kind to be added.
Old 09/25/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Ok ! thank you very much for your help, i think he will stay alone ( is he happy alone ?? )

and just another little question:

can white stripe and gold stripe reproduced ?
if yes , what the color will be ?

thank' s
nancy
Old 09/25/2007, 12:30 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by aramiss
( is he happy alone ?? )
if the clown is of an age to have reached maturity it's a she not a he and IME they must be happy alone, because they tend to cause way too much hassle when trying to get them to pair off with someone new.

I've never had a mis paired spawn but i do believe some others have and i don't recall the color outcome, IIRC there were allot of misbars.
Old 09/25/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Thank's for your time and your informations !

nancy
Old 09/25/2007, 12:58 AM
Moved On

You're Welcome.
Old 09/25/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

This is just my 2 cents based on what I've read in the past. In the wild clownfish have fierce competition for sea anemones b/c they are a limited resource that is necessary to survive. If a clownfish is evicted from its home by another clown then it is going to die. Because of this they are extremely territorial if another sea anemone is added to the tank with the new clown this may decrease the tension in the tank and allow them coexist peacefully. Anyway thats my plan for when I eventually add one to my tank.
Old 09/25/2007, 02:47 PM
Moved On

IME having two nems and a Maroon Clownfish that likes both will result in even more tension between them because she'll take both as 'MINE' even when on opposite sides of the tank. I'm fortunate that for some reason my Maroon has decided to share her carpet nem with my Clarkii pair now after she took it over from them a month or so back.