Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/05/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Tank water ice cubes?

I have a smaller tank (30 gallon). I usually don't have water temp issues. But this last week we had a heat wave and my tank did get up to 85/86. I don't need a chiller, because this rarely happens. My tank always sits year round at 79-82 degrees.

So I filled a couple glasses with tank water and froze them in the freezer. So then I have them ready anytime I need them. Then on the days when I get home and my tank is too hot. I just throw a tank water ice cube in the tank in the back area(filter area) where it can't touch fish or coral. And it does the trick. It brought my tank temp down 2 degrees. And it didn't cost me a thing.

Is there any reason why I should not do this? are there any negative reprucussions I am not aware of? What do you all think?

Thanx.
Old 06/05/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Great idea. I would just be careful that the temp. of the tank does not change too rapidly.

I may freeze some tank water as well in case of power outages this summer.
Old 06/05/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

I used ro/di ice to top off when I was having heat issues. I put a handful of ice in the overflow in the morning, and everything stayed cool and topped off!
Old 06/05/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

I don't think that's a very good idea. I can't tell you exactly why I think so, but it sounds risky. Most of us freeze tupperwares full of water, use ice packs, etc. and don't mess directly with the mix of the water at all.
Old 06/05/2007, 01:19 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Ive used ice cubes directly in the tank when I had my 20g. I never noticed anything bad happen from it. Although now since I upgraded tanks, I just throw frozen water bottles in my sump. Works great.
Old 06/05/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

I used ro/di ice to top off when I was having heat issues. I put a handful of ice in the overflow in the morning, and everything stayed cool and topped off!
Old 06/05/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

will this cause ammonia to spike in anyway because the tank water that froze in a way died?
Old 06/05/2007, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

I can't see this being an issue. The small amount of water that may have had some minimal bacterial culture in it that died shouldn't cause any spike in ammonia. It's released slowly as it melts, so your tank should be able to handle it. Just make sure the temp doesn't swing too quickly, or it could shock your livestock.
Old 06/05/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

based on my experience, it does not work. the only way it would work is in large quantities of ice.........and thats a lot of effort
Old 06/05/2007, 04:04 PM
Nano Reefer

Are you running any fans already? A good sized clip-on fan from wal-mart blowing over the top of your tank/sump should definitely do the trick.
Old 06/05/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

I run a clip-on fan that kicks on when the MH lighting turns on. It works great. Frozen top-off water works too, but not as well.
Old 06/05/2007, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

I use those two liter bottles that soda comes in. Clean them well, remove any labels, adhesives etc., fill them up with water (leave enough room for expansion) and freeze em. Put them in your sump and you're good to go!
Old 06/05/2007, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dpearly88
I run a clip-on fan that kicks on when the MH lighting turns on. It works great. Frozen top-off water works too, but not as well.
I started doing this too and it works great! I use the frozen water if the temp still gets high. Good luck!
Old 06/05/2007, 05:15 PM
Phyto tank master

Quote:
Originally posted by dodgersfan25
based on my experience, it does not work. the only way it would work is in large quantities of ice.........and thats a lot of effort
Yep, unless you put 4+ 2L bottle, you won't have much cooling.

Evaporation will work better

1 pep. shrimp, 10 nas, 1 astrea , 1 cerrith snails

Some softys

PH 8.1, Alk 11, NH3/4, NO2, NO3 0, Temp 77-79F, SG 1.025
Old 06/05/2007, 05:17 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Why mess around? Use a water bottle, and fill it with water, freeze and use. Don't mess with the frozen salt water because it will screw with your salinity. And the problem with this method is what happens when you are NOT home and the temperature spikes up? The ice doesn't automatically drop into the tank by themselves, and I don't plan to be next to the tank all the time, I got places to go and people to see. I don't want to be a slave to the tank. Besides there is too much $$$ in the tank to take that risk.
Old 06/05/2007, 05:47 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

I would just invest in a fan to keep it cool.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 06/05/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

I bought a small used air conditioner for my fish room, it seems to do the job.
Old 06/05/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

well, it works for me. I don't mind a huge temperature swing once in a while. My tank can handle it. So I am not a slave. Most the time though. The ice cubes will do the trick when I get home from work. And again. I almost never have heat waves here, so heat is usually not an issue.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

BY A CLIP ON FAN FROM WALMART, AND CLIP IT TO THE SUMP!!!!! It works. My temp never climbs above 80 now since i purchased this clip on fan. it used to hover around 83-84 without it. Trust me, it was one of the best investments (8) bucks I have made in this hobby.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

I used to have a heat problem with my 90g in my old place. To drop my temp a few degrees I would take food safe ziplock bags and fill them up with lots of ice cubes, then let it float in the tank until it melts. They melt pretty quick and it will drop the temp in the tank without any worry.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:41 PM
Moved On

I used to freeze RO/DI water and dump the cubes in the tank and my wrass loved swiming near the cubes never seemed to do bad for me.
But once I get my sump up and running I'll just freeze 2liter bottles and place it near the return area
Old 06/06/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

ocean.mirage...as long as it works for you and your tank, do it

but yea, a fan works really well, just like the others have said
Old 06/06/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

I used to use 2 Liters filled with frozen tank water. Had to switch them out every 2 to 3 hours to keep the tank temp where I wanted it in my 18g.

Since then I have found the joys of a $10 clip on fan. I do go through more top off water, but the fan is able to drop the water temp 6-8 degrees on my 65g and keeps it more constant then using frozen bottles.

Another cool (hahaaha sorry for the cheesy pun) thing to do isrun your lights at night. If you run a sump skimmer with an airline intake, some people liek to run a hose off of that and through a cooler to help out as well.

Some of that shoudl work for ya. In my last apartment my room temp hit the 100's but hte tank never went above 78F. I aimed for 74F.

HTH
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY