Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/31/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

MAXED out or no?

I was tihnking a hector's goby, neon goby, a little blenny, maybe 2 more gobies (clown goby size). Is this possible for a 12 gallon? (using RO/DI water)
What are some suggestions that you would think are nice for 12 gallon not including any clownfish?

10 pounds of live rock
(maybe mushrooms and polyps not sure yet)
Old 08/31/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

a firefish is always nice
Old 08/31/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

those are cool, has anybody heard or know of the yellow stripe cling fish, those look pretty sweet
Old 08/31/2007, 01:31 AM
Registered Member

IMO that is too many fish. JMO

I'd go with two small gobies total, or one medium sized fish that didn't move around a lot.

JMO
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 08/31/2007, 01:57 AM
Hydrophilic

I dont think that combination is too bad, maybe a little overdone. I would have 2 concerns about it though:

1- I would be worried about any blenny harassing gobies in that small of a space. Even the little ones can be pretty territorial.

2- Strongly suggest you skip the hectori. They will sometimes accept aquarium food, but they are primarily sandsifters, and it is really unlikely that your tank will be able to provide enough food for one long term. I would normally suggest one as the primary bottom dweller in a well established tank over 30 gallons. They eat more than you might think.

If you were to eliminate the blenny and hectori, I think a firefish would be a good addition. Could also consider something like a Banggai cardinal- fairly small, and not an active swimmer. Maybe a shrimp/goby pair too (yellow rose goby, yashe hase, aurora goby, etc. Not one of the larger twinspot/watchman types).

FWIW- clingfish generally have a miserable life expectancy in captivity. I wouldnt suggest it in anything but the largest of tanks, ideally with a group of host urchins.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 08/31/2007, 08:38 AM
Moved On

i agree about the clingfish being totally inappropriate for your tanks. I have mine hosting several urchins which they use for food and shelter. If you only have one urchin they will kill it pretty fast thats why you need a couple. So they have time to regenerate between feedings. And its a terrible idea to have urchins in a small tank cause you will constantly get pricked, they knock everything over, and they will not have enough surface area to raze and will starve.

I on the other hand have a hector goby in a 25 nano but the poor little guy was starving for the first few months and would not take any prepared food. Sometimes he would but would quickly spit it out. Then I let the nutrients build up in the tank to let the algae flourish and that did the trick. Now I have a very very fat Hectors Goby. But the tanks looks not very nice at all with all the cyno, hair, and other algae, but at least it keeps him fat and happy. They shift sand nonstop.
Old 08/31/2007, 08:42 AM
Keeper of Tangs

firefish are sweet! i have a pair of them and they are really sweet!
Old 08/31/2007, 08:46 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by pledosophy
IMO that is too many fish. JMO

I'd go with two small gobies total, or one medium sized fish that didn't move around a lot.

JMO
I completely disagree.
Old 08/31/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

oh I didn't know the blennies were mean fish, my LFS always has like 5 hectori's gobies, if I even consider it I'll wait a few months before adding it, I do not have a protein skimmer so it should built up enough nutrients for it. I'll make sure it eats before buying it too. So like 3 maybe 4 small gobies max?
Old 08/31/2007, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
I completely disagree.
Care to share why you disagree? Personally, I agree with the others. 5 fish is too many for 12 gallons. Especially if you threw a blenny in there. I'd say 3 fish tops in something that size. And they should be small or mostly stationary. A firefish would be a nice choice. I've even seen clownfish in something that small, as they tend to stay fairly close to their homes (coral/anemone).
Old 08/31/2007, 01:13 PM
Hydrophilic

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
I completely disagree.
OK, would you care to add something constructive, or just trying to irritate people per usual?

Quote:
Originally posted by Maika'i
So like 3 maybe 4 small gobies max?
Yeah, I think that is pretty reasonable for that style of tank.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 08/31/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

what are some peaceful small blennies?
Old 08/31/2007, 03:10 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Hormigaquatica
OK, would you care to add something constructive, or just trying to irritate people per usual?

Yeah, I think that is pretty reasonable for that style of tank.
Pledosophy was saying that 3 or 4 gobies is way too much for that tank, and I disagree. The OP is asking for oppions. I gave mine. What have you provided here, other than ripping on me?

I think its fine. I think most tanks are understocked.

We're talking about fish that have a body mass of a couple of grams here, not 5 tangs.

" was tihnking a hector's goby, neon goby, a little blenny, maybe 2 more gobies (clown goby size)."

All those fish have less body mass total than a single occellaris clown.
Old 08/31/2007, 03:25 PM
The Iron Knight

if it was my tank i might do 1 or 2 gobies and maybe a cardinal OR a firefish

OR

a goby - with a pistol and ocellaris - along with a good clean up crew

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." - Debi