Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

I havent excited exactly which route I an gonna go with. Well I bought some flashing from ace today and this stuff is alot tougher to polish than the little piece of flashing that I had laying around in the garage. I am gonna run by lowes and homedepot tomorrow and see what they have, I have been researching this and people are also buying solar tube/skylight extensions and using its material to make the reflector, they are 95% reflective. Which is probably shinier than I can get the flashing.

Serra, I may still get with you on the reflectors.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

You'll find the same at lowes I bought some that I was going to polish but could never get it to work I think they put some type of coating on the metal that won't let the polishing compound get to the actual metal to polish it to a mirrored shine I was thinking that I would prob have to get some from an actual sheet metal shop and have them bend it on their press then polish it.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:05 PM
Shark Hunter

You may have to sand the coating off first if it has one.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

the flashing I bought from ace has a copper/gold coating on the back side, which can be buffed off and make it look super shiny, but its a real pain in the butt even with a electric buffer and metal buffing compound. I may just buy a solartube and cut it down.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Isn't mylar used in growing illegal plant stuff? I kinda remember some news with mylar and MH for plants. Maybe a hydroponics place.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:44 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by wwwatcher1
Isn't mylar used in growing illegal plant stuff? I kinda remember some news with mylar and MH for plants. Maybe a hydroponics place.
It's used in hydroponics and greenhouses everywhere. What you grow in them is your decision
Old 01/10/2008, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I couldnt find mylar in Norman, Hobby Lobby claimed they had some but they really didnt. I bouth a solar tube extension from homedepot for $25 and cut it up to use it. It took some work, but I now have one reflector done and the are bad a%$. I have one light right over the center brace and it used to have a large shadow under it, now the shadow onlt extends about 5 inches into the tank and light reaches underneath it. its definately awesome to see the difference.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:02 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Cool! I'm glad it worked out....

Old 01/10/2008, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

lol, I will post some pictures of the reflector, its already over the tank so I can get some shots of it in the hood and pics of the light coverage and the templates I made. It will be this evening before I can get it done though
Old 01/10/2008, 12:30 PM
My Life for Aiur!

No problem. I think this is pretty cool how it turned out.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Tank showing coverage of the reflector. a 10k Ushio is in the middle and 20k XM's on the outside.

Pic of the outside of hte reflector, I used aulminum tape to cover up the sharp edges so I wouldnt cut myself

Picture from underneath the reflector

Old 01/11/2008, 11:10 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Wow! That looks quite impressive! Thanks for taking the time to post some pictures.