Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think off topic post are detrimental to a thread, thus killing it prematurely?
Yes 17 39.53%
NO 26 60.47%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04/22/2007, 06:57 AM
Team RC Member

A Poll - Off Topic Post

I'm going to post several polls this week, I would greatly appreciate your valuable input as the New Zoanthid Forum emerges. Also, do you feel the moderators should delete said off topic post to keep the threads fluid an on track?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mucho Reef

Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 04/22/2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04/22/2007, 08:37 AM
Team RC Member

Feel free to explain why you do or don't agree?

Thanks.
Old 04/22/2007, 09:47 AM
Unregistered Member

It depends on what the thread is about and what the off topic post was.
I remember reading a thread that someone was showing off their new corals and out of no where someone says, " My water is green and I don't know how to fix it". That pretty much ruined it.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 04/22/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

I agree with edwing. Rather than a moderator just closing a thread , I think it should be up to the thread originator to say if they want it left on their thread. Basically if a thread originator does not PM the mods to delete it from his thread , they allow it .
Just my .02 Scott
Old 04/22/2007, 11:30 AM
Team RC Member

Thanks for the response.

A mod wouldn't close the thread for being off topic. The reason for the poll is because many are bothered by the threads straying way off the topic. Sometimes for a complete page. For example, if the discussion is about preventing Cyano, and the thread is going strong with 12 replies, then you have 8 replies in a row commenting on a fish or coral in the background of the picture regarding the cyano. Many are bothered by that. I have heard from reefers who say that once the topic goes a stray, they stop reading. So if that happens, then what should be done? The thread originator gets upset, members are bothered, so what should be done? Should the mods delete the off topic replies, as is the case on some other sites? What's the remedy?

Mucho
Old 04/24/2007, 01:11 AM
I can spell you cant READ

Feel free to explain why you do or don't agree with..
Old 04/27/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

I said yes but it really does depend on how off topic it becomes and for how long. If it is just a momentary diversion or the other topic is also of interest to me then I am not at all bothered by it but if it is a topic I am not personally interested in and it goes on for a couple pages, then I will lose interest.
Old 04/27/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

I'm always interested in learning. When I choose a particular thread to read, I'm already interested in the topic and will read it through to the end, if there is info in there about another topic, I take that for what it's worth and continue reading. If it stays off topic for a page or two, then it is also something usually interesting that a number of people have chosen to respond to.
As long as it's about reefing ...it's all good!
Old 04/27/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
As long as it's about reefing ...it's all good!
ya i agree. And i see a lot of people just running up their post count (i'm one to talk lol...but no really) where they just say something like "hey, whats up "insert name" " and thats it....they make no comments about the topic and dont say anything else the rest of the thread to contribute to it.
Old 04/27/2007, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

I said no because some off topic chat is good for the community. Now I am not talking about getting out of hand, but a few post here and there helps people to get to know one another and feel out the board.

JMHO.
Old 04/29/2007, 10:52 AM
Keeping It Real

I think if a thread stays active long enough, its bound to go off topic... Its up to the originator or whoever else to keep it on the track that they want it to go...

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 04/29/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

i think that if it goes off topic then let the mods know and just have them copy&paste it into another thread. that way there are more subects to research if a reefer has a question. for example a thread is going good then a post it about water being green, start a new thread with the subect green water.
Old 05/03/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

I think as a humble poster, If I post a Q about something in my tank and people want to ask about what is in my tank that has nothing about question in mind, I wouldn't want to hear it. PM me for that.........
Old 05/03/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

I think as a humble poster, If I post a Q about something in my tank and people want to ask about what is in my tank that has nothing about question in mind, I wouldn't want to hear it. PM me for that.........
Old 05/05/2007, 11:33 AM
Team RC Member

Just wanted to thank everyone who voted and posted in this poll/thread.

Mooch