Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/21/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
wow, nice corals.
Umm did I miss something?
Old 06/22/2007, 10:01 AM

yup. it got pulled.

As far as Sequence goes, I have a spare too. I don't want to be screwing around trying to fix a problem or while I am cleaning a pump. I just want to swap out and get on with it. Having said that, the probability of a failure ever happening is very remote. They are extremely well built and parts are easy to come by anyway. In fact, MDM customer support is very good IMO.

The pump body itself is practically bullet-proof. Mine has been running 24/7 for 15 months straight with no issue whatsoever.
Old 06/25/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Everything Looks Sweet Scott!!!! I also like the idea of getting that post rememoved and put a metal supporting beam instead. Hopefully your builders will allow you to do that. I like the two sided viewing area as well, Kinda like my display tank at the store.
Old 06/27/2007, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Colby! I value your opinion greatly, pipe up whenever you can.

So what kind of controller should I contemplate going with?

On a seperate note, the plan was to have 3 tanks running in the new house. I am beginning to think that will be too much maintenance so It may only be the FO tank and the large reef tank..... our 85 gal might get the boot.

I don't know. I just want Wendy and I to enjoy the tanks, not be their slaves.

Cheers!
Old 06/30/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Any success with the negotiations?
Old 06/30/2007, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Nope, Wendy has been too busy with work. Plus when she did call, the lady we deal with was out of the office.

Im really impatient...... I want to start buying stuff haahaa!

So did anyone have anything to say about deltec vs euroreef?

My LFS told me he could get me a bubble king for the price of the deltec model I wanted haahaa! I just might have to go with the red top.
Old 07/02/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

We just built a large ranch-style home, and could span over 20' with beams...not steel, manufactured wood beams. This is an easy switch for any builder, you just have to demand it. You'll thank yourself when it's done. That post will be nearly 6" square once you wrap it with drywall.......I would not minimize this detail! It made all the difference in our home when it came to finishing the basement.
Old 07/06/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Be sure to keep us posted on the current tank pics!
Old 07/06/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Will do, waiting for the house to be built!
Old 09/04/2007, 02:37 AM
Premium Member

Ok so the house is moving along nicely! We have the second story and a roof! The tank is going to have to be assembled on site. My friend Colby and I are going to tackle this one. The dimesnsions of the tank are 6'x4'x26". There will be a rear overflow divided into two sections to preserve the back panel glass strength. The stand will be 2" square stock steel which will be bolted to the concrete floor. I contemplated an acrylic tank but the only way would be to have the builders travel to my home and construct the tank on site.... sounds too expensive to me.

No we weren't able to get the telepost moved but we will figue something out after that fact and rectify it on our own.

Equipment is as follows:
sequence barracuda
2 luminarc III's with 400 SE 20K XM's
4 48" T5 on an IC 660
ER RC180 for now
tunze ATO
vortechs for flow (see if colby can get them)
considering a tunze wavebox (I love Colby's)
Profilux II controller with all the goodies
remote reefugium/frag tank
unsure of which calcium reactor

I'd like to have the majority of my equipment remote mounted on the wall above my sump with a catch tray underneath them so if there is a catastrophe when I am gone the water will flow back into the sump. I will have a remote panel for the fish and reptile room, probably 100amp service. We will have counter space and a utility sink plumbed in.

On a side note: Tank is doing great at home right now (our little 85). Wendy is looking after it while I am gone working. We hate being concerned about the tank while we are both away so we have decided to hook the profilux up to the net once we get it on the new system and I will also have two webcams set up so I can check on the tank/backroom while I am at work.

There will be a relatively low fish load in the system to keep it lower maintenance. I've recently become infatuated with some of the fairy wrasses and I've always wanted a pair of helfichi's firefish. Smaller, unique little critters is the goal.

The rock work will be modelled after a fellow RC members tank (If I could remember your name I'd give you full credit) that has the most gorgeous arches and pillars in their tank. I will use a thicker acrylic to construct the teeth for the overflow and put mounting tabs in it as well to allow for frag placment and rock mounting points.

I'd love to get some type of reliable frag trading system set up with some of you down in the states but I just don't know if it can be done. Legality, people willing to ship stuff that far, etc will all scare people away. If anyone is interested in trying to figure something out (legally preferably) then PM me or just talk on here, I don't mind!

Here are the pics one more time to jog everyones memory:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Scott
Old 09/04/2007, 09:57 AM

Looking very nice. Bummer about the pole. And IMO you have no reason to put a wavebox in your tank when you will be using Vortechs. They will make superb waves for you on their own.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Ok update! The house is getting insulated and the electrical/HVAC are roughed in. Wendy and I had a sit down with the builders and got them to adjust the basement plumbing to suit the fishroom. The tank will be built on location and I will be buying the glass all pre-cut, drilled, notched and beveled. As for equipment, Colby has been swaying me to use 3 MH's instead of only two (I was going for the island look with two). Also he has motioned me away from vortechs due to some construction problems. Anyone have any problems with theirs? I really wanted some with the wireless wavemaker and the battery back ups.

Im thinking the back room size will be increased some more for equip and just ease of movement.

Say anything that you think may help!

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited by Scythanith; 10/11/2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:22 PM

Scott, there is so much info out about the Vortechs it really shouldn't be any problem for you to figure out if they will work for you. You are welcome to PM me regarding them and we can discuss the pros and cons.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:08 AM
Premium Member

Ok, I guess I should update this since it's only one month away until we get posession!

I had a great talk with Jonathan and I still am leaning towards the vortechs. We are going to be restricted to having the tank built on site due to size since the house is now built.

I've been buying up quality frags for the last couple months in preperation to stocking this tank!

I've been thinking of just building the sump large enough to put most of the equipment directly in the sump (even if above the water level to try and reduce heat transfer from the pumps). And a smaller remote sump to run probes, etc in. Also, what size electrical panel should I think about getting put in to supply this leech?

Here is what I have so far:

Looking forward to hearing some fresh ideas!

Scott

Last edited by Scythanith; 12/12/2007 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:25 AM
Premium Member

I was wondering if anyone could post some pictures of their dedicated frag tanks. I would like to get some more idea's as to how to make the frag racks within the tank. So Far I am just planning to use egg-crate and small pvc legs. Make a "u" shaped rack and leave the front & middle empty so I can grow out chalice's on a flat surface so fragging is easier.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 12/12/2007, 01:47 PM

bring in double the power you think you wil need.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

looking good!!!!!
Old 12/13/2007, 02:08 AM
Premium Member

Here are some new renderings of the tank:

I was recommended to eliminate the coast to coast overflow on the back due to it weakening the glass. Also I will have 2 1.5" returns and the majority of in tank circ will be provided by 4 vortechs.

Now here is my dilemma: Do I get it built by the tank manufacturer and try and wrangle it into the house? Do I buy the prepared glass and assemble it on site myself (with some friends that have built tanks) or do I pay $$$ and get them to come and assemble it on site.

Ahhh decisions decisions....

I'm stoked.... like the title says haahaa!

Last edited by Scythanith; 12/13/2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
bring in double the power you think you wil need.
Haahaa, we aren't all as crazy as you man! Come on, who builds a 1000 gal tank.... oh wait... you did!

I appreciate all of your advice Jonathan! I am pretty sure the vortechs are going to be in this tank. I think it's going to be 5/8" glass so I should be safe in that aspect. 2 on the right side blowing across the length of the tank and two pushing back to front. Should be able to get some good chaotic flow and maybe a good wave going!

I'll calculate some power useage numbers a little later and run them by everyone. I'm still debating using all T5's...crazy I know!
Old 12/13/2007, 02:17 PM

as far as building the tank goes, if you want a warranty, you need to have them build it. If their warranty is crappy anyway, then probably no need to bother.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

Ok, so I thought I'd add some eye candy to the thread to let everyone know what I will be primarily adding to the tank. I will add more SPS down the road once the tank becomes stable and I will keep the 85 running in the basement out of the way of the main tank and keep all my livestock in it for now until the tanks running bug free.

more to come... just uploading to slow photobucket
Old 12/15/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I like your tank dimensions. Do you have a lighting set up in mind?
Old 12/15/2007, 10:40 PM

that alien eye is sweet.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:28 AM
Premium Member

Lighting is still up in the air. I want to have a good amount of SPS (whorled monti's & a few choice acros etc) and LPS... I don't want a single wretched mushroom in the tank!!!

I am using all T5's right now on some Ice Cap ballasts and I am very impressed. I just know the coverage over the new tank will require two 8x36" T5's to cover everything and that means 16 bulbs to replace. Or I will go 3 250 watt MH with a small amount of T5's for an early dawn/late dusk effect. I have never used MH's before so I am at a loss for what to plan. A friend just bought a sfigoli fixture and 3 ACLS (or whatever they are called) so I am very curious to see how he likes it. He's also running a bubble master 300 if I am not mistaken, says's it's the best skimmer he's ever ran. I like making things myself and I made my lighting that I have now BUT when I added up the bills I could have purchased an aquactinics solar flare (essentially the same fixture only 48" not 36") for the same price if not a small amount cheaper!!

One thing is I plan to have an offset rockwork scheme to make the most of the space, balancing the negative and positive spaces as well as I can; so I know my lighting requirements will be pretty specific and I don't know if a premade fixture will suit my needs.

On another note Wendy and I have been talking and I think we are going to set up a shallow tank with racking for the corals we have now and then fill the sump with the liverock we have now to try and keep livestock easy to work with instead of in our 30"+ deep tank. Nothing fancy, just about a hopsital tank but not that sterile as we need to host a lot of life in the tanks until the main tank is up and running. Now I think I will start my tank with dry rock in order to avoid unwanted pests (algae, coral predators, etc.) so the tank is going to take a while to get seasoned. Any advice as to how to introduce beneficial bacteria from established systems but to avoid introducing the bad stuff? Maybe toss a couple perferated bags of LR rubble into some sumps of friends tanks then introducing them to my tank (seems risky) or just watch it for a couple months while adding ammonia?

Here is where I am really after RC's brain pool... I am looking for peoples personal experience and preferences so I can try and taylor something that will suit my needs. I am almost 100% sure I am not going to use a probio or zeovit system since I am not home enough to maintain it neither is Wendy.

Looking for experience! Thanks once again everyone for looking and speaking up with questions and potential problems, I really appreciate it!
Old 12/16/2007, 02:44 AM
Premium Member

Here are some more, there is another of the 4 colour watermelon for you Jonathan!

Please don't steal my pictures haahaa!