Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Is this a H. Magnifica?

Hello, i bought this anemone i think is a H. Magnifica. I cant start it to eat. Any advise?

Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: doc sin título.doc (19.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by dav99; 12/25/2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member.

Looks like a BTA to me
Old 12/25/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Not sure, sort of looks like one. More pic might help identify. As far as eating, how long has it been in your tank and what are your tank conditions?
Old 12/25/2007, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

I don't think so, unless the tentacles are shriveled. Can you carefully touch it with with something plastic or metal? It should be very sticky, so don't pull away as you'll damage the tentacle. It should release in a few minutes if you gently pull.

What have you tried to feed it?
Old 12/25/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

I tried to give squid, and some preparation i made with some fish, shrimp and squid. But nothing, The food attach to its tentacles but after 2 minutes it release.

I have it in my sistem for 10 days now. I have 3 bta that are doing very good.

here is another pic.

Old 12/25/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Here on the right you can see a BTA and in the left is the H. Magnifica

Old 12/25/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Salinity 1026
temp 76
nitrates are high arround 40-50
i have 2 400w hqi, but as you see the anemone isnt at the top, should i try to move it at the top of the tank?

I have 2 vortech pumps near the anemone, im waiting for the new drivers to use random flow
Old 12/25/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

I think that is a bleached H. mag. Definitely not good to have nitrates that high. Also I would shoot for 78-80F. Don't try to move it. It will take it a while to acclimate to your lighting. Let it do that at its own pace. Moving it would stress it more than it already is. What are you doing to decrease your nitrates?
Old 12/25/2007, 02:29 PM
clownfish fan

Those ocellaris are going to be killed for that nem.

those big clowns are going to want it.
Old 12/25/2007, 02:38 PM
Moved On

I was just going to say what GSMguy said LOL. Doesnt look like a magnifica to be honest. Looks like a BTA thats hurt.
Old 12/25/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

So far oceallaris are ok. they defend the nem and the big clowns fear it. Temp is too low?

I just try to make water changes for decrease no3. But total system is almost 400 gallons, is not easy and it is very expensive to do bigger water changes.
Old 12/25/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, might be a BTA. It's hard to tell in those pics. Either way, it needs very good water conditons to help it out. Hopefully it is a BTA, as they are more forgiving of poor water conditions.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

New photos, it seems a bta for all right?

What can i do to make it eat? all other bta are great and eating everytime i give food (once a week)

Old 12/25/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Actually, in those last pics, it looks more like H. magnifica. Water changes combined with either a remote deep sand bed, heavy skimming and possibly cutting back on food (if you happen to tend to feed too much) will all bring the nitrates down. What type of substrate do you have on the bottom of the display tank?

And yes, 76F is too low long term, shoot for a minimum of 78F, I would prefer 79 or 80F myself.

Don't worry about getting it to eat just yet. It is acclimating. Let it get situated for a few days and then try a piece of squid or silverside. Right now, the most important thing is to get the water conditions up to par.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

yeah, it does look like a magnifica, but very bleached. it's going to need some time, and you might need to trap out the clowns if it looks like their lovin' is getting irritating.

Have you tried freeze dried plankton? I soak it in tank water for a few hours and then feed.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:42 PM
RC Mod

In my opinion, that is 100% H. magnifica and unfortunately in a seriously bad state. Not sure what you can do when they hit that stage, I have not had one come back from a mouth open that much, column completely flacid, and tentacles appearing necrotic two weeks into captivity.

fwiw: It looks like a candidate for an anti biotic treatment in a hospital tank.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:44 PM
problem algae grower

Quote:
Originally posted by traveller7
In my opinion, that is 100% H. magnifica and unfortunately in a seriously bad state. Not sure what you can do when they hit that stage, I have not had one come back from a mouth open that much, column completely flacid, and tentacles appearing necrotic two weeks into captivity.

fwiw: It looks like a candidate for an anti biotic treatment in a hospital tank.
I support these comments, yellow mouth also a goo indicator.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:40 AM
Moved On

Yea I agree also... looks alot more like a magnifica in those new pix. Your nitrate levels are destroying it right now. I hope things turn out well for you. Such a nice anemone and poor you didnt even know its probably the most hardest anemone to care for. Occelaris love them though and they are pretty much a luxury home.
Old 12/26/2007, 08:25 AM
clownfish fan

The big clowns are not interested now, that means nothing for the future....

I see you have three species of clownfish in there.
Old 12/26/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

So the nemo is going to die? What can i do? Its not for my no3, nemo was like this when i got it.... i didnt knew it was really bad.....
Old 12/26/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Time will tell if it is going to die or not. The most important thing you can do for this anemone is to get the water conditions as close to perfect as you can. You bought the anemone already comprimised and now it is in conditions that are less than ideal (or at least were at the time you posted "nitrates 40-50" and temp "76"). H. magnifica generally do not rebound as easily as a BTA, but they can rebound. Feeding is not an option right now as the anemone is not healthy enough for it, but maybe it will come back.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:09 PM
Moved On

Oh make sure you keep the clowns away from it for now until it recovers please. The clowns can really make things worse if they keep rubbing against it and harrassing it. Btw, you shouldnt have so many different species of clowns in there. Not trying to insult you so take this as criticism please... DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU PURCHASE.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

oops double post
Old 12/26/2007, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

That is 100% a magnifica in all of the pictures, but unfortunately, I agree that it is in an unrecoverable condition. The way it looks indicates to me that the internal tissue is already goo and there isn't much to be done. Most magnificas I see in stores are already at this point before purchase, and it is unlikely that even perfact water conditions can save them.

And just to throw in my opinion oposing a few stated here
- 76 on the low side, but is not off from the range they experience in the wild.
-With some anemones it is true that clowns usually do the anemone harm, but with magnificas I see the opposite.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

76 is not out of the range experienced in the wild, but below the average they experience in the wild. I think this anemone has enough problems without being kept at sub-average water temps.