Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Two Wrasses?

Is it even possible to keep more than one Wrasse in a tank that is only 130G? Its 72"x20"x20". I have a Carpenter Flasher Wrasse already but I really want a Dragon Wrasse. Would they even have a chance of getting along? What about just something like a 6 line if not a Dragon? I really like Wrasses...Its too bad they dont really like each other!
Old 12/03/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

From what I've researched, as long as they're different enough it seems okay and aren't known killers like large thalsommas, just like angels/tangs I guess. Harlequin Tusks are technically wrasses and plenty of people keep them with other wrasses.

A dragon should get much bigger then a flasher, so I don't too many issues to worry about.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

I had 2 tusks together for over a year and a half without issue, just got rid of the smaller of the 2 for space. But those 2 with a coris and fairy wrasse and eight line wrasse. So 5 at once I guess in a 135.
Old 12/03/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Dragons are supposed to be one of the more aggressive wrasses. I actually had one display and challenge me when I got too close to it while snorkeling in Hawaii. Very bold fish.

So long as the dragon doesn't see the flasher as a bite sized meal, I don't think there should be any actual aggression because of the huge size difference. It's possible the 10" dragon will see the 3" flasher as food, though, or it might not. It's up to you if you want to chance it. The flasher already has some odds in its favor being added to the tank first, though. If you decide to do it, I'd get a very small dragon and then just let it grow.
Old 12/03/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

sorry to jack your thread, but im looking for a wrasse for a 55. and i cant really decide. i want an aggressive wrasse, i like bananna, lunare, and dragons among many others. any input??

"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go." -Green Street Hooligans
Old 12/03/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

After looking into Dragons, I think I will pass on them. I did not realize how big they get! I think I may just go with a 8 line my LFS has. My flasher wrasse is actually quite aggressive. Even when I got near the tank on "his" side, he flashes and displays at me quite aggressively. Its very funny. He also chases a much, much larger Anthias around the tank from time to time. Never the less, I may go with a smaller type wrasse. What kinds would you guys recommend that stays around 4"? My flasher is already about 4" and I guess will not get much bigger at all.
Old 12/03/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Actually does anyone know if Moon Wrasse are readily available?

I know they get 10" but I love them. Never seen them available I dont think...although I have never looked.

Old 12/04/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

two big agressive wrasses are bad ideas in general
wrasse number one has a problem with wrasse with #2
when wrasse one is not alpha wrasse
and dragons are especially bad about that
they are pure terror when they consider themselves challeneged for alpha fish

plus as small as your flasher wrasses is id see the dragon licking
his chops and making it a tasty meal. really any fish that small is probally gonna be on his list.
how bout getting a fairy wrasse they might getalong
or if not you could deffinetly get away with a canary wrasse
(Halichoeres chrysus) very pretty as well
Old 12/04/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

sorry to say the eight line(pseudocheilinus octotanenia) will destroy your flasher quicker than the six line(pseudocheilinus hexataenia) would and the six line would be quick about it.
Your best bet for more wrasses is to stick with flashers (parcheilinus) who mix relatively well. You might try a chirrhilabrus(fairy wrasse) such as a Solarensis(clown fairy wrasse) or a Halichoeres chrysus(canary wrasse).
Old 12/04/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justinpsmith
Actually does anyone know if Moon Wrasse are readily available?

I know they get 10" but I love them. Never seen them available I dont think...although I have never looked.

Thalassoma lutescens are pretty available right now. I really, really wanted the beautiful Divers Den one available a few weeks ago. Though only on liveaquaria have I noticed them all or more yellow in coloration (females I believe). All the other sites have them completely green like your pic. Tropicalfishoutlet has a few instock I believe.
Old 12/04/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Aquaknight, Thalassoma lutescens is a different fish from Thalassoma lunare, though I've heard they're similar in temperament. Lutescens is mostly yellow, and the lunare is mostly green.
Old 12/04/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Ah, I guess justin's pic is of a lunare, I brain farted and thought moon wrasse = lutescens.

As far as coloration on the lutescens, I guess it depends were you look. Tropicalfishoutlet and marinecenter refer to them as lime-green wrasses...
http://tropicalfishoutlet.com/FishSp...=753&FishType=

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/wrassealsoseehogfish/ You can also see the variation I'm talking about there...
Old 12/04/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

Man I wish more Wrasses got along...They are so beautiful! I would love to have a Wrasse only tank!

Thanks for all the info guys.