Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2004, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Why Is Hi-Flow Good for SPS's?

Maybe I'm just being ignorant..but why is hi flow optimin for sps's? Does it promote feeding, growth or inhabit disease? By high flow, I am speaking of flows over 30x. Should be an interesting discussion..or not.
Blue
Old 09/10/2004, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Flow does so many things for corals, not just SPS, I don't know where to start. "inhabit Disease". do you mean inhibt?

Either way the main reason flow (high or not) is necessary for all coral is that the are sessile organisms are rely on flow to bring food and remove waste.
Old 09/10/2004, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

In short- the smaller polyp corals in high light situations have a high respiration rate and a high metabolic rate. The higher flow brings both food and reduces the stagnant water area around the coral increasing gas exchange. All sessile organisms have a thin layer around them of stagnant water, the higher the flow the thinner this layer is. In summary, in too low of flow the coral suffocates in its own CO2. HTH
Old 09/10/2004, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

It also helps the coral remove its bio waste products. Without decent water flow as saltshop mentioned, the coral will suffocates many times on its own waste.

Michael
Old 09/10/2004, 07:40 PM
troublemaker

Saltshop put it short and sweet. Nice!

That mucus that Acropora shed, the higher respiration + flow of waste/food ... that's the big ones.
Old 09/10/2004, 08:26 PM
Proprietor of Funk …

so with these high flow types, are you all pointing a Ph directly at the coral ? or above to some degree ?

./thanks
Old 09/10/2004, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Random water movement is where its at. Don't blast a coral that could cause tissue to peal off
Erik
Old 09/10/2004, 08:31 PM
Metal Lives

you want to deflect the flow, to much strong blow(right out of a PH) will hurt it if its to harsh, but as long as its a gental high flow and not forceful, its also good to have flow hitting it as diffent times and diffections, wave makes are great.
Old 09/10/2004, 08:36 PM
troublemaker

One of my Acropora grew amazingly right in front of the intake of my closed loop ... maybe 800-1000 gph, but being drawn past it more than blasted.

Chaotic also seems to be good, but IMO flow without velocity is what you're looking for. Not powerheads aimed at corals, just lots of movement.
Old 09/10/2004, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

random flow is key i think... direct flow can just peel the flesh right off the coral... and certian SPS like more flow than others... i have 65 turnover.. and with one coral it started to peel.. and the one right next to it has alwats thrived... so you need to know what the specifis SPS likes aka where it grows on the reef.. on a shelf.. or in more sheltered areas
Old 09/10/2004, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Yep