Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/25/2006, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Lighting: Retro kits vs. Hoods

Can RC members chime in on this topic? I'm going to go with a 6x54W combo of T-5 lighting for my 90G tank. I have a nice cherry canopy on the tank. While I'm not averse to DIY projects, how are these retro kits that so many vendors sell? They are cheaper than the pre-fab hoods like I've found from Tek and Aquatinics, but are they "ghetto?" Am I just going to have bulbs and reflectors running across the inside of my canopy, I assume screwed directly into the canopy's wooden walls? And also I guess I'll be mounting the ballasts in there too?

Guess I'm just getting a little tired of nearly everything in this hobby requiring some pretty serious assembly. Is nothing easy with reefkeeping?? I know, I know. If you want easy, spend more $ and get pre-built hoods.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 04/25/2006, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

The retro kit I got from hellolights worked out great. I was a little unsure about mounting it in my canopy, how to do it, etc. But turned out to be very easy to do and it works so great. Nothing like lifting up the canopy top and having the lights go up and out of the way with it so I have full access to the tank. I mounted the ballasts under the tank in the stand. I used quick connects to connect them to the fixtures so I can easily unplug them and remove the entire canopy, lights and all, without wires getting in the way.
Old 04/25/2006, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Dont mount the ballasts in the hood! Ballasts give off lots of heat and cause a very high risk of Killing you if it gets wet and you touch it. Never mount the ballast in the hood mount it in the stand! Retrofits can look just as good in a hood as a pre-built if done right. I have used alot of thing ive made to save money some looked great some not so great its all about how much time you want to spend making it right. Retrofit will save you money you may want to add a fan to your hood for heat. If your looking to save money go with retrofit if it dosent look so good who cares it will be hidden in your hood. Most of them just screw into the top of the hood. You may even want to look at your local hardware store for ballasts and build your own with a reflector you buy online you can save even more money doing it this way. And its not much more work then the retrofit kits.
Old 04/25/2006, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Palancar, beard, thanks for your thoughts.

Palancar, what are the quick connects you used? What do they look like?

Depending on how hot these T-5s run, I was thinking to either drill a couple holes through the top of my canopy, or install 1-2 fans in there and run them off of my Reefkeeper II controller. I've heard differing definitions of how "cool" the T-5s run. And I hear you on mounting the ballasts in the stand, not the hood. If they create so much heat (am looking at an IceCap 660 and either an IC 430 or a Tek electronic ballast) did you mount a cooling system of some kind in your stand? ie vent holes and/or fans in the stand?
Old 04/25/2006, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

No need for cooling the stand the ballasts should be fine just dont stack them or mount too close togather. As for the hood small cooling fans will work much better then holes drilled in the top not only with heat but also gas exchange in the tank. You may want to check you local hardware store for ballasts though you will save alot over icecap ballasts. Iv seen ho ballasts going for under $15 at home depot all you need to add is a lamp cord and endcaps they are not hard to hook up and work just as well. I have wired up many diy ballasts from home depot from ho flor. and no flor. to MH ballasts. I have saved alot of money doing it and all have worked very well.
Old 04/26/2006, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

bump
Old 04/26/2006, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techreef
Palancar, what are the quick connects you used? What do they look like?
quick disconnects
Old 04/27/2006, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

Nice idea. Thanks for the link.