Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/22/2006, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

RO/DI Help

I've been doing some research for about a week now and am more confused then when i started. I'm going to be purchasing a RO/DI unit in the near future and would like to know what kind i should buy, best brand, and where to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04/22/2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Ask yourself if you'll be doing an auto top off kind of setup. If so a unit with shut off valve would be good. Got mine at aquafx.com
Old 04/23/2006, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Thanks so far for your help. I will check out both places.
Old 04/23/2006, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 04/23/2006, 06:42 PM
Got Salt?

This battle will rage forever..

I love my AWI Typhoon III
www.airwaterice.com

Good luck out there..

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 04/23/2006, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

I got a purelyh2o system and i will never regret it. works great and costomer service is awesome
Old 04/23/2006, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I am having trouble deciding between the Optima Chloramine Advanced and the Typhoon 3. They bothe seem to have everything i would need. Are there any deciding factors i should take into consideration? At the present moment I'm not sure where I would be installing it. I would have to try to do some plumbing work where I mix my water at if I want to install it there.
Unfortunately my tank is one floor up.
Old 04/23/2006, 10:47 PM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

a Rubbermaid for mixing, top off could be in RM or sump then pumped back up.
Old 04/23/2006, 10:50 PM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

duhhh..i almost forgot RO/DI putting kids to bed. i use a Kent $ and quality product. i seem to get less wastewater than some people i know w/other, more $ brand names.
Old 04/23/2006, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

I just got a regular Typhoon (not, a Typhoon III) - it's a great unit and it even came with a float switch. Less than $190 shipped if I remember
In most places in the country, voting is looked upon as a right and a duty, but in Chicago it's a sport. In Chicago not only your vote counts, but all kinds of other votes--kids, dead folks, and so on.
-Dick Gregory
Old 04/23/2006, 11:44 PM
Got Salt?

If you mention Reefcentral AWI will give you a float shut off if I remember right. (when you order a TYP III)

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 04/24/2006, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

www.purelyh2o.com is the only company I will deal with from here on out. Do a search on them on reefcentral & you will see that the customer service with this company is second to none. Bryan (who you will speak with when you call) no tonly answers PMs from RC customers, emails, but he also requests 9 times out of 10 that you call to discuss your questions with him directly. Let me restate that for you... ***The owner of the company ASKS you to CALL HIM for ANY questions*** No beating around the bush there, direct contact on the point of sale, & on technical issues, its not a direct line for sales & a que for support like some other companies. Just last night I was admiring my system from purelyh2o.com, & was struck by how well built the thing is.

Bottom line is that when you buy your RO/DI kit, you are looking at similarities in quality, you are either buying bargain basement/white box products, or you are buying way overpriced, name brand systems. I think that Bryan is changing the playing field somewhat, by offering affordability, and amazing quality. The clencher with his product is the same reason I will always shop at Premium Aquatics, & Reeferrocks.... Customer service that is without a peer. Reeferrocks does base rock better than anyone, PA does equipment better than anyone, & purelyh2o.com does RO better than anyone. I can't pimp them enough... I dont think you will be sorry.
Old 04/24/2006, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

There are several quality units available. AWI, Buckeye and others. My personal favorite is www.purelyh2o.com for several reasons. Bryan (the owner) offers a 10% RC discount (look in the sponsor section for the code) and has an 800 number. He enjoys talking to and helping anyone, regardless of where they got their unit. His Optima series offers everything you need in a high quality unit.
Give him a call or check out the web site. You won't be sorry.
Oh, BTW, the free flaot valve from AWI is nice, but with the 10% discount Bryan offers you can nearly buy two valves (not that you really need two) from him!
Old 04/24/2006, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll be going with the Optima Chloramine Advanced from purelyH2O. Now I just have to wait till payday and figure out where I want to mount this thing.
Old 04/26/2006, 08:05 PM
Mississippi Reefer

Good choice. I have a purelyh2o as well and very happy I went with them.

good luck,
Old 04/26/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

I'll be ordering the unit Friday, now I just need to re do some plumbing.
Old 04/26/2006, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Captnmorgan02

You should call me before you place your order because there are some plumbing options you might not be aware of that would be more convenient for your install

Talk to you soon!
Old 04/26/2006, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

good pick on a Optima Chloramine Advanced...I also be getting the same thing next month..dont know what day yet..but soon i be getting the same thing.. =D
Old 04/27/2006, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Grats! Bryan is the man!