Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 01:13 PM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Couple Videos of a Very Popular 180 Reef

It was snowing very heavily here in Denver yesterday so I thought I would go kill some time at the LFS. While I was there I checked out the corals, took some pictures and made a video or two.

The older display reef aquarium at Premier Fish and Reef is 180 gallons. It has been set up for a little over a year and it is a stunning example of a mixed community reef.
Flow- for the display area of the reef the water movement is primarily from the eductor equipped return lines. Aimed behind the rocks are 4 maxi jet 1200s
Light- The tank is illuminated by 12, 3ft T5 HO bulbs with a combination of super actinic, actinic white, Aquasun, super blue and 6700K bulbs.
Filtration- an ADHI sump with an asm G3, RDP refugium, calcium reactor and kalkwasser reactor.
The tank has a group of Bartlett's anthias, several rare fairy wrasses including rhomboid, hawaiian flame pr, Bathysphyllus and really nice specimens of more common species.
As for corals the tank has just about anything you could be looking for including cespitularia, cyphastrea, various aussie lords and micros, odd faviids, rose and sunburst anemones, a dozen choice zoanthid varieties, green polyp toadstool and on and on.

Overall the equipment isnt all that high tech and the reef requires little maintenance. It is a stunning example of what a large aquarium can develop into. Can't wait to see what the tank looks like in another year.

This First Video was made about 8 months ago and it has been viewed over 20K times. It is featured on Practical Fishkeeping's video page.

The Second Video was made yesterday.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Man, for a tank thats only been up just a year that is one very nice looking tank. Are some of the coral for sale or are they just for display?
Old 12/15/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

That is a very nice example of a mixed reef. I like the movement of the LPS & Softies. Nice fish choices too. I like...

Thanks for the post.
Rafael
Old 12/15/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

your camera takes great pic, i wished you would of got a shot of the snow on your way in the LFS, all were getting is rain, a dusting of snow here, they shut down the schools,
Old 12/15/2007, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

great looking tank, thanks for sharing
Old 12/15/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

looks awesome.one question though,i have the same exact star polyps next to the rbta and cant seem to get them to grow very fast.any recommendations as to what i can do because i love the color of themthey sit at the bottom of my 180 about the same height as those at the lowest point and i have a 250 watt MH over them,2 400 watt MH on the outsides and 4 6' vhos.now i know i have enough light in my 180 but they just dont want to grow very fast.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

simply stunning
Old 12/16/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Pretty awesome tank for only a year old!!
Old 12/16/2007, 09:30 PM
Moved On

Old 12/18/2007, 02:04 PM
Free Digital Coral Guide

The GSP covered rock which the RBTAs are sitting on was covered with GSP before the RBTAs moved in. So for the most part the GSP doesnt really grow into the anemones. When I can borrow my friend's HD camera I will make another video of this tank a a higher resolution.
Old 12/18/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Nice looking tank