Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > West Tennessee Marine & Reef Aquarium Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

xenia

I have a bunch of xenia that i need to get out of my tank. If anybody is wanting some i will bring them to the christmas party. They won't be on any rubble, i will cut them a couple of hours before i leave.I will never put that in my tanks again.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:09 PM
Boiler UP!

Nice advertisement. lol
Old 12/02/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

LMAO
Old 12/02/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

some say if you take out to much at a time, you may crash your tank, is that because of the smell they leave when you break them off, ive been getting one out every two to three days apart,
Old 12/02/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

I bet you wish you could go back to those days when you just couldn't get this stuff to grow in your tanks remember?
maybe that was some kind of omen
Old 12/02/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

My 20L has about 40 to 50 stalks, that started from 3 stalks about 5 months ago.Like teena said to much cutting will crash the system.I don't need that going on with my anemones in there. Hey dave you didn't have go there L.O.L
Old 12/02/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teena
some say if you take out to much at a time, you may crash your tank, is that because of the smell they leave when you break them off, ive been getting one out every two to three days apart,
the smell? lol .... no its because what remains dies off
in your case Tina ... your heavy bio-load and lack of proper filtration has made it where your xenia are growing out of control and if you take a lot of em out at once .... all the nutrients left behind will fuel a big algae spike
Old 12/02/2007, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

Hey Jason, I have been trying to PM you and your box is full.
Old 12/02/2007, 11:28 PM
Premium Member

I enjoy my Xenia, but it certainly can get out of hand!! I religiously frag mine and put it in my frag tank. I always try to peel it away from whatever it is on, whether it be liverock, glass, powerhead, etc. and then use a toothbrush, in case I left any flesh. This way it will not grow back.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:14 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cabin3tGuy
the smell? lol .... no its because what remains dies off
in your case Tina ... your heavy bio-load and lack of proper filtration has made it where your xenia are growing out of control and if you take a lot of em out at once .... all the nutrients left behind will fuel a big algae spike
I think what she meant was the slime or chemicals released by corals when they're stressed. If you took a bunch of xenia out all at once, I'll bet they would release a lot of stink into the water.

I'm careful not to take too many frags off of my sarcophyton even when it's trying to drop babies because the chemical released when I cut causes everything else to close up.

Xenia is known for being so hard to eradicate. When you cut it, does it really die out or does it grow back from whatever tissue is left behind?

Cathy
Old 12/03/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crpeck
I think what she meant was the slime or chemicals released by corals when they're stressed. If you took a bunch of xenia out all at once, I'll bet they would release a lot of stink into the water.

I'm careful not to take too many frags off of my sarcophyton even when it's trying to drop babies because the chemical released when I cut causes everything else to close up.

Xenia is known for being so hard to eradicate. When you cut it, does it really die out or does it grow back from whatever tissue is left behind?

Cathy
I understand that Cathy but she was quoting something I had already told her and I was just clarifying why I said that in case she misunderstood me or I was too vague ....
and also giving her a hard time about her terminology "the stink"
Old 12/03/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefdiver77
Hey Jason, I have been trying to PM you and your box is full.
Its all clear now Vicki ...sry bout that
Old 12/03/2007, 09:58 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cabin3tGuy
I understand that Cathy but she was quoting something I had already told her and I was just clarifying why I said that in case she misunderstood me or I was too vague ....
and also giving her a hard time about her terminology "the stink"
Hmmmmmm.... I used the term "stink" and she used the term "smell". Are you giving me a hard time, too then? Gotcha.

Seriously, I'm confused. I've always been tempted by xenia because I love the way it looks but have stayed away because of the stories of it being hard to control.

Does it die off just by pulling it out or does what's left regrow? If what's left regrows, then the issue to not remove too much at once would be the chemical warfare ... aka "stink", right? Or is it a little of both and some rots and some grows?

Either way, is it so bad that a good water change and run of carbon won't handle it? "Crash" seems pretty strong.

It must have a fairly powerful chemical punch to overtake other stuff the way it does. Or does it overtake another way?

If you have a big enough tank, can you give the xenia a little isolated island or will it still find a way to spread?
Old 12/03/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Xenia will grow on anything that it can attatch to. Mine is growing on the back glass in the tank. What I do to frag it is put a piece of rubble next to it so that it's touching the base. It will attatch to te rubble and you just cut it.

There is another thread about removing Xenia and about the only way to do it is to take and scrape the rock so that you don't hurt the Xenia. You will make a nice little white spot on the rock though. But, it won't hurt anything in your tank and it won't grow back.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

TRUST ME IF YOU CUT IT OFF, ANOTHER WILL GROW RITE BACK IN ITS PLACE!!!! I have cut 10 or 12 stalks per day in my 55g.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

If it stayed on my back glass that would be better than taking over my corals.When i set the 125 up it will definatly not have any xenia in it.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:44 PM
Boiler UP!

I don't know if I agree with the "scrape it off method". The last time I did that, I had little xenia's popping up all around the tank.

The only way I completely killed it was when I placed epoxy over it and smothered it. I'd make a large flat epoxy piece and smash it over top the xenia. A week later, it would pop up around the edges and in the cracks so I would epoxy the next crop. After a few weeks of that, I finally had removed all of it from my tank.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

I have notice little one popping up and haven't cut any of them.I have thought about injected one stem with hot water around the base, then pull it off.Wish i had a crab or somthing that would eat it.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

When I carefully peel mine off and then use a toothbrush to make sure there is no flesh left, mine does not grow back. If even a tiny piece of flesh is left, it comes right back.