Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2004, 12:26 AM
foolish wonder

Flame Hawks and shrimp?

I am going to get a blood red shrimp soon. I would love to get a flame hawk but he would probably eat the shrimp, right? What shrimp will they not eat, even though these are cleaner shrimp they take advantage of the cleaning?
Old 01/02/2004, 12:28 AM
Moved On

We have 2 camelbacks, a cleaner, coral banded and a peppermint with our flame hawk. We did loose one camelback, but can't directly link the flame hawk to it's demise. They've been together for 3 months now.
Old 01/02/2004, 10:18 AM
foolish wonder

k, has anyone else had a problem with flame hawks and cleaner shrimps?
Old 01/12/2004, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

subscibing
Old 01/12/2004, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

or should i say subscribing
Old 01/12/2004, 05:03 PM
Clam Trainer

IME all shrimp with a flame hawk will eventually disappear. I love flame hawks and shrimp but they just don't mix.
Old 01/12/2004, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Peppermint = Food, at least with my Flame Hawk. Coral, I have had one with him for over a year. HTH
Old 01/12/2004, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Nah, this is not the case with all situations. I've have a Cleaner and a spotted hark for at least 2-3 months now with no problems at all. Just make sure the Shrimp is introduced before the Flame Hawk, and the Flame Hawk is smaller than th Shrimp. Also, I don't know if there are any extreme differences, but check out my site for my Spotted Hawk info, they are nearly exactly the same as a Flame but have a cool color pattern! Also, my spotted has never touched my cleaner, and the cleaner ironically cleans the hawk on occasion- so as you see, no problems over here.
Old 01/12/2004, 05:19 PM
Marine Aquarist

I have read on Wet Web Media that it almost never works to put hawkfish and shrimp together, but this thread might be proving that wrong.
Old 01/12/2004, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

I have had my Flame Hawk for about a year and a half now. I added two fire shrimp about a year after the flame hawk and no problems. He completely ignores them. Keeping him well fed might be the trick. I think it's hit or miss.
Old 01/12/2004, 05:26 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by Sting
Nah, this is not the case with all situations. I've have a Cleaner and a spotted hark for at least 2-3 months now with no problems at all.
Hehehe. Yeah, I used to say that. My flame hawk and cleaner shrimp co-existed for 18 months together before my hawk discovered that hawks eat shrimp. Watched my hawk grab a shrimp and divebomb it into the substrate to remove a chunk of flesh. After that, no more shrimp until the hawk died (5 years).

One thing I only correlated later - my cleaner chrimp weren't out roaming all over the tank like some people claimed...mine (even though I had several) just stayed in the rocks a lot...seemed the shrimp were smarter than the hobbyist....

FWIW,
Kevin