Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/27/2007, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

True Confessions of a Reef Aquarist

There are things in this hobby that I know better than to do but I do them anyways. On the flipside there are things that I know I should do but I don't...

My plumbing and electrical "work" is a mess and is in major need or organization.

I haven't bothered to set up an auto topoff on my current system.

The biggest one, which caused a mess yesterday, is that I hadn't broken down and cleaned my return pump in a year. Which brings me to my next one, I had let me sump level get high enough that it overflowed when my return pump shut off.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I'll let others chime in. So, what are yours?
Old 09/27/2007, 05:07 AM
This statement is false.

Yup - I can vouch for the electrical work... Although all the major plugs have been fitted to the wall, there is a whole bunch of cables lying on the floor.

I did not fit cable ties to my return pump so couple days ago the pipe came off and there was no circulation (apart from the tunze's ofcourse), thus no heating/chilling. Fortunately my sump is closed so no water spilled.

I neglect to do water tests as often as I am supposed to do them.
Old 09/27/2007, 05:25 AM
Premium Member

Other than testing my salinity (every month or so) to keep up with salt creep and keeping an eye on my temperature every other day or so, I just about never test any of my tank parameters. I haven't teste ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, or alk since March.

I do 20% water changes every 7-10 days, clean my skimmer and filter socks 2x per week, and run rowaphos, chemi-pure, and carbon 24/7/365 and as long as everything looks heathy (which it always does), I don't do anything else.

I do have an auto topoff up and running and this one piece of equipment saves me a lot of hassle. I really recommend you get that up and running.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

I have power strips on the bottom of my stand. Soaked one with saltwater and electrocuted myself trying to unplug the pumps so they wouldn't fry. You would think 110 would give me a hint, but the powerstrips are in the same spot.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:59 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

I have a high fish load, which I know will affect my SPS. Then I get bummed when my SPS don't have the best colors

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/27/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

I have a birds nest of wires in my cabinet, despite having 2 DJ power centers sitting in the wings waiting to be put into service. I still have bioballs in my wet/dry despite knowing that they will likely cause me problems in the long run (none yet though). I have not mesh-modded my ASM despite the overwhelming evidence that it will significantly improve performance....
Old 09/27/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I need to move my power strips out of my stand too. Right now they are sitting in the stand next to the sump, which seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't know why people think a tank needs 6 weeks+ to cycle. I get 0 ammonia and nitrite and start stocking. Call me crazy, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I also need to get some zip ties so that the fans blowing on my sump will stop falling into the sump.
Old 09/27/2007, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

I let my wife feed my fish when I'm away... massive water change whenever I return to counter the over feeding
Old 09/27/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Yellowdesmo -careful about letting wife overfeed the tank, you come back next time and the tank could be wiped out and everythign dead.......then comes the big argument!
Old 09/27/2007, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

I don't usually test anything for months

my water changes are often 30% or more, every couple of months

I usually top off 5 gallons of water at a time <-- I really gotta stop that one

I only feed flake food and Nori.

Does everyone feel better? hahah
Old 09/27/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

I have another metal halide light I bought 4 months ago that I havent hooked up yet bacuse I had to buy those little wire twist things (which I did buy yesterday tho).
I had a 3/4 built canopy on my kitchen floor for about 5 months that I just finished and added to my tank about a week ago.
I have an unfinished stand that is just 2X4 without any doors or covers on it.
I have valves behind the tank that make it almost impossible to adjust.
I have a 3/4 build new sump with a brand new Reeflo pump just sitting infront of my tank that I just need to buy a few plumbing supplies to hook up.
hahaha, what other stuff have I got lazy with.....
Old 09/27/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Oh yea, I lent my buddy my test kits when he set up his new tank so other then Calcium and Alkalinity I haven't tested the other stuff in a long time.
Old 09/27/2007, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by msn711
I also need to get some zip ties so that the fans blowing on my sump will stop falling into the sump.
Funniest thing I've heard all week. I can just picture it. Thanks for the pick-me-up.
Old 09/27/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

yeah, that's the best line of the entire thread

\ MSN711 wins
Old 09/27/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
yeah, that's the best line of the entire thread

\ MSN711 wins
No seriously, they're really just propped up on the corners of the sump. So everytime I reach under the stand, I knock one into the water. Maybe I can get out of the office early enough to hit the hardware store.
Old 09/27/2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

I hear ya, I have a All-Glass compact Florescent over my refuge/sump, just sitting over water about 6 inches below.. I've bumped it into the water, while on, 3 times now. fortunately I have GFI's... I just let it dry out and for some reason it turns back on after drying!! holy moly.
Old 09/27/2007, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Seth got me laughing really hard with this one.

Quote:
Originally posted by SethSPST
I have power strips on the bottom of my stand. Soaked one with saltwater and electrocuted myself trying to unplug the pumps so they wouldn't fry. You would think 110 would give me a hint, but the powerstrips are in the same spot.
Old 09/27/2007, 03:13 PM
Girl Geek

We need to redo plumbing on our 75 to get it to stop gurgling - in the meantime, we replaced the small fans with 2 industrial 6" fans that drown out all the gurgling. Well, the tank is cool and there is no gurgling noise now. However, the fans somewhat sound like a jet engine and can be heard throughout the house.
Old 09/27/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Hear ya loud and clear on the water testing...I just don't do it enough either

I do 20% water chages each and every week, top off every night, don't have a heavy bio load, don't over feed...and everything thrives...as it should.

Finally hooked up a GFI this pastweekend, best thing I did yet
Old 09/27/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

I had to run an extension cord to a cooling fan on my sump. The end of the cord was suspended over my sump. It fell in. I didn't notice. I reached in to move something and got the shock of my life. Literally. How it was still running like that without tripping any breakers or frying anything is beyond my understanding. Luckily no one was harmed during the event. Needless to say, I have secured the extension cord to a screw with a zip tie.
I used to change 15 gallons every week faithfully. I haven't done one in 2 months now, and have no excuse other than laziness. I am just starting to see some algae on the glass lately, so I know this is not good. This weekend, I am going to force myself to do a water change.
Old 09/27/2007, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

I still have not installed the GFI outlet. It sits on the table next to the tank, reminding me everyday....I had someone on this forum offer help before, its been so long now, I forget who it was....

I also haven't gotten my RO/DI filters yet...I continue to spend a small fortune on crappy water from my LFS...that will stop though, the last water change=huge algae bloom. I will now spend a small fortune on Distilled water from my Walgreens store until my filter arrives. I will then set up an auto top off.

I over feed which doesn't help with the algae blooms either.

Oh, one last thing...my tank is not level. It is slightly lower on the right side. Nothing a shim or two wouldn't take care of but I haven't done that either!

Water changes (10%) weekly, (20%) every 4th week. Testing every two to three days, filter socks on 2 days off 2 days and otherwise do most things correctly.

Kris

"Yeah, and that's why you don't go swimming after you get bit by a shark"
Old 09/27/2007, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Follow up...just found the PM from "SPARKSS" about my GFI outlet. This will be done ASAP!

Kris

"Yeah, and that's why you don't go swimming after you get bit by a shark"
Old 09/27/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

No matter what, I always seem to overfeed my fish, thinking that they must surely still be hungry...
Hooper: That makes a lot of sense.
Old 09/27/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sirjohn
No matter what, I always seem to overfeed my fish, thinking that they must surely still be hungry...
Fish are like teenagers, they ARE always hungry.
Old 09/27/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Lets see.............. Oh thats right........... even after I flood my house 50 times with the RO.... I bump the RO's output by 2 and still dont use float valves in water containers im filling Now when it rains it pours

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax7774
I had to run an extension cord to a cooling fan on my sump. The end of the cord was suspended over my sump. It fell in. I didn't notice. I reached in to move something and got the shock of my life. Literally. How it was still running like that without tripping any breakers or frying anything is beyond my understanding. Luckily no one was harmed during the event.

It did that because you don't have a gfci and probe, when you put your hand in the water you were the link between ground and the water. The probe would have taken the shock for you but.... would have left the tank without power. Glad your ok, now get your electrical stuff up to par like kwaters is doing =]. On a side note, have your houses ground checked, somethings fishy (pun intended)
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics