Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

softies not opening

I have a hammer coral and a goniopora that aren't opening. This has been going on for about two weeks. The only real change to the tank is that I added some Koralia powerheads. Could the increased flow/new flow patterns be the cause?

My parameters are fairly stable at:
Ammonia and Nitrite at 0
Ph 8.4
Ca 300
Kh 7.4
Phosphate 0
Nitrate was up a little at 10. My tank has never tested 0 it is usually at 5

I use Salifert kits. the only dosing I do is B-Ionic. I use RO/DI water that I test with a TDS meter. Reading is 002

I also have a grounding probe so I really don't think it is stray voltage.

Both of the corals are about 2 yrs old. The hammer coral has grown from 4 heads to 12. The goniopora hasn't done as well but until just recently always had big old "tentacles" sticking out.

Any suggestions?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Cal. should be around 380 to 425 . and the corals you have are LPS not softies.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

You know, I really should have known that they were LPS. Having said that though I don't think the slightly low CA is the issue. It usually is a bit higher but I ran out of B Ionic recently.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

you do know that the goni's don't last that long in our tanks.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:20 PM
Team RC Member

cal s/b 400-450
alk [dkh] s./b 8.3-9.3
if they won't stay up when dosed, test mg: should be 3x desired level of calcium.

Do whatever you can to get that nitrate to 0. If you have any sponges, bioballs, filters, get them out [by stages, asap, however].

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

None of the corals you mentioned are softies... do you have softies that are not opening?

goniopora doesn't have a high success rate there is also some evidence it contains some nasty toxins, it has not been proven that the toxins are released or are more to deter grazers, but if it is dying off some, for example, it could be releasing all sorts of crap.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/cw.htm

ca is low and alk could be raised some - neither of these are likely to have a significant effect on soft corals. Also, I agree with sk8r mg is important...

What type of lighting flow? IME soft corals don't like tons of flow or tons of light...

How old is the tank – could be related to the age
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/10/aafeature/view
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/5/aafeature2

BTW, the grounding probe is more likely to cause stray voltage. It essentially guarantees that voltage is flowing. If you don't have one, there is a voltage potential, but no current flow, unless you provide a ground. The myth about stray voltage stems from the fact that if you test saltwater, you will get a voltage reading, this is because there is a voltage potential due to the ionic nature of water - there is not actually any current flowing if you remove the GP.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

I mislabeled my corals. They are not softies. I should have known that.

My concern is the hammer coral. I think the goniopora may be beyond saving. I've had it for 2 yrs though.

Currently, I am running 6 110watt VHO bulbs. I have 8 but took 2 off line in the summer and never bothered to reconnect them. My flow in the tank is around 1000 gph from the Koralias and another 500 from generic powerheads. My return pump is also rated at 1400 gph before lifting the water from the sump to the tank.

Should I remove the grounding probe?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Where are the HCs located - mine love lots of light. I don't have much flow pointed at them, they are just waving a little.

If the goniopora is decaying, I would suspect it may be releasing toxins. Is it possible to move it to QT? I would also run carbon and increase skimming if possible (wet skim).

The GP is benificial for your health, but not neccessarily for your corals. Thats a tough call. I don;t run one, but do have all my circuits on GFCIs and the tanks are sitting on a wood floow, with a rubber mat under a carpet, so there is not much potential for it to ground through me

here is some more info.

http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM...ingProbes.html

http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM...alDetails.html
Old 01/10/2008, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

thanks m2434. You've given me a lot to read.

I have a phosban reactor that runs carbon. the carbon is about 2 weeks old. I also have one running phosban also about 2 weeks old.

the hc has been in the same spot the entire time I've had it. My bulbs are getting old. I think it is time to replace them.

I'm going to read the articles you attached,do a water change, replace the bulbs and see what happens.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Why not try unplugging one or both of the new Koralias and see what happens? My guess is too much flow.
Good luck!!
Tracy