Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2004, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

Question "I'm thinking about you" present ideas...

Heres a situation, I'd like some input on:

Theres a girl I was close to last semester, we had the summer apart and didn't talk much, I saw her late in this semester and everything rushed back to me. We talk infrequently because of finals and I want a way to tell her I want to see her more. I don't know 100% how she feels either way. What can I get her for christmas that'll let her know I'm thinking of her, but at the same time not going overboard? I know her favorite meal and I know her favorite snack food.

What more do you need to assess the situation from me?
Old 12/06/2004, 05:19 AM
Jer

I'm in the same boat! I need to find a gift that says "thinking of you, but not in a freakish, desperate kinda way"
Old 12/06/2004, 07:05 AM
no pig 2 big

So I guess thongs are out of the question... Much better to approach now and find out how they feel then to blow money on somebody who will never really care...
Old 12/06/2004, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Thats not an opinion for me :|

We both live in different apartment complexes and both have finals all week then we go home, chances of actually seeing each other are like slim to none, but I get the idea behind what you're saying.
Old 12/06/2004, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

if you know her address, why don't you have a complete meal from one of her favorite resturants delivered one night after her finals? No cooking, good food, and i think it's pretty thoughtful without being creepy.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 12/06/2004, 12:29 PM
Monkey

Give her a "Finals Emergency Pack".

Put her favorite snack, some "no-doz", a couple pens, pencils, erasers, package of coffee, cheapo calculator, etc inside a little glass box. Tie a small hammer to it and write "in case of finals, break glass" on the front...
Old 12/06/2004, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Jamesurq - That idea is awesome, granted I have no clue where to find a glass box in this dinky town.

emilye2 - I'd love to do that except, this town only has 4 resturants, none are italian which is her favorite type.
Old 12/06/2004, 12:51 PM
Monkey

Ok - so italian food is it huh?

Find someone in NYC on the board to fedex you some real Italian food...

Hell I'm in NYC tomorrow - I can Fedex you a meatball sub that will knock your friggin socks off..
Old 12/06/2004, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

NYC eh?

I'll take one if you're willing to pay shipping <3.
Old 12/06/2004, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Sean-does your dinky town have a dollar store? if so, you may be able to do James' idea. They have oodles of glass candle holders that would work.
Another option would be to make something simple yourself (spaghetti and garlic bread) package it up in some gladwear and drop that and a bottle of wine or other beverage off at her appt. If she's there tell her you had some leftovers and figured she might want a break from cooking for a night. If she's not just leave her a note saying good luck on finals and here's some brain food!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 12/06/2004, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

emilye2 - Thats it!

Hear me out and let me know what you think:

I myself have to study tonight, but when I'm done, I'm going to cook her Lasagne, garlic bread and get nice inexpensive bottle of wine. Also a bag of her favorite chips for study snack food. Just something simple but something that says alot.

Hows that sound?
Old 12/06/2004, 04:32 PM
Monkey

lasagne isn't "something simple" it's definitely a committment type food. Go with a jar of Fettucine Alfredo sauce, pan fry some skinless chicken breast and VERY aldente some fettucine. Mix and let it get cold. When she re-heats it in the microwave the pasta will finish cooking....

It says I like you enough to bring you leftovers and I'm a good cook, without saying : I spent 2 hours perseverating about you on the internet then spent 3 hours cooking lasagne especially for you....

Might come accross a little strong.
Old 12/06/2004, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

lasagne isn't something that has to take three hours to cook. (oh alright, maybe the really really really good stuff does! ) What's more, it's very thoughtful and can be easily blown off as just a gesture of a good friend if you get the wrong vibes.

Old 12/06/2004, 04:52 PM
Monkey

yeah = but that's what he want's. If he comes across too strong, and she's not interested it will be bad. Then again - if it's not too strong she might subconciously think "wow - that was really thoughtful" which could turn into "wow - I really want some of that"

which is the main goal, correct?
Old 12/06/2004, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Right thats the goal I want
Old 12/06/2004, 05:10 PM
Monkey

so you have to start small - or you'll scare her off... She needs to start thinking about you in that way on her own. You can gently nudge her in that direction - but don't push.
Old 12/06/2004, 05:20 PM
Byte mechanic

Send some flowers. YOu don't have to send a dozen roses. Go to FTD.com and choose a "fun" and "Friendly" bunch and send them to her! Put in a message like "I was just thinking about you!" or something silly like "If found, please return to (your name, your address)" or "Hey you! Let's grab some (favorite snack) before the holidays, for old time sake!"

If she means anything to you, then you gotta stick your neck out. If it backfires on you, well...you've lost nothing because for a while she'd turned into background noise for you already!

Listen, girls love shlock. I don't know why. Just the fact that you thought about her is major points. Flowers are great, they always work. It's a matter of the "level" of flowers. A dozen roses will scare her away, a small nice boquet of "harmless" flowers in a friendly vase (nothing over the top) will make her think about you, but not scare her off.

Alternatively, just pick up the phone and give her a call and invite her to dinner. "Hey, you know, I was thinking about you and how we've sort of drifted apart. You wanna go get some (favorite dinner) before you head home for the holidays?". If you were close with her before, it shouldn't sound like anything more than freindliness.

V
Old 12/06/2004, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

IMO flowers do not signify just friendship, it seems way too obvious.Blockbusters has a small xmas basket with a $5 rental card and it's full of movie snacks($19.99).You could add a note that says something like"for when you get a chance to take a break".
Maybe,she'll invite you to watch the movie.Good luck!
Old 12/06/2004, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

I have Lasagne in the oven right now and a loft of Italian bread. No wine but thats cool.

I also have a bag of Cooler Ranch her favorite chips.

So I'm going to go over there, drop it off (I have to go to a study session), she'll be out too though, she doesn't know what I'm doing for her. So when she comes home there will be her favorite meal and some snacks and a little note.

I'm not sure exactly what to say in the note, but I'll think of something.
Old 12/06/2004, 05:53 PM
Byte mechanic

These ideas all seem too romantic. I dunno. I guess my flower idea may be as well (What do I know, I'm 36 and stuff that works with women in my age bracket won't work with the younger folk)

I would suggest leaving SOME of the lasagna, not the whole thing. They you can say "I made this lasagna for dinenr and remembered it was your favorite food, so I brought some over for you" not "I made this whole damn lasagna for you". That will seem less over the top, and more friendly. Only you know her and how she might react. Worse would be that she comes home with a boyfriend and he sees it and eats it all. Giving her an entire lasagna seems stalker like.

But...different people see things differently. One girl might love it, another might think it's creepy. The only thing that we know for sure is that unless you do SOMETHING, she won't think about it.

Reminds me of a Gary Larson "Far Side" cartoon where there is a picture of a boy and a girl sleeping in their respective beds. The boy is thinking "Boy, I wonder if Mary thinks about me? Does she know I exist? What does she think about me? I wonder what she's doing right now?" and the girl is thinking "I think I really like peanut butter"...

V
Old 12/06/2004, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Hmm, thats definitely and idea. I know she is single, but I could see where a whole 13x9 Lasagne may be a little much for a girl and her roommates
Old 12/06/2004, 07:40 PM
Byte mechanic

Maybe add a note "There's more where this came from"

just kidding!

V
Old 12/06/2004, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

After final, during holiday season, is the best time to hook up IME. I think many singles get lonely during this cold holiday season. Just pick a day where you can drink, and make up an excuse (or can be a true reason), why you need to drink which is due to all the stress from the finals. Don't make it a dinner but make it a drinking night out. I don't like to go out on a dinner for 2 reasons. One, costs more money, two, need more alcohol when stomach is full. I find alcohol to be the most affective way to win her heart.
Heart, or what not. They are all the same thing.
Old 12/06/2004, 08:35 PM
Byte mechanic

Dude! Alcohol is a crutch. Once she sees Sean's fascinating reef display, she will simply surrender to his charms!

V
Old 12/06/2004, 09:38 PM
High on Reefing!

so how did it go?