Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2004, 06:07 AM
Moved On

Hi all, the move is coming along, will be in Canton soon. I am wondering where the Oceanic sea salt can be purchased in the area or should I bring a few buckets with me? Thanks for any advice. karen
Old 10/29/2004, 06:34 AM
Garbologist

Quote:
Originally posted by finding nemo
Hi all, the move is coming along, will be in Canton soon. I am wondering where the Oceanic sea salt can be purchased in the area or should I bring a few buckets with me? Thanks for any advice. karen
I get mine when I make a trip to Dallas. There is a PetsMart in Mesquite, which is on this side of town, that would be about an hour from you. Go to their website, print the page showing the IO 160g bucket, and show it to the cashier. They will match the price, which is less than $32.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 10/29/2004, 06:42 AM
Moved On

Hi Smiller, thanks so much, will do that so I wont have to buy it here and haul it. See you all soon.
An, I see you are in Cedar Creek Lake, we looked for property around the lake but no large land available, were looking for a farm. Thats a beautiful area.
We should get a few folks together down that way and purchase several buckets and have just one person go and pick it up when they go. Will save everyone a trip. I will volunteer for a run for it when I get settled in down there. Thanks for the advice. Karen
Old 10/29/2004, 06:43 AM
Moved On

Forgot to ask, I am looking for the oceanic sea salt, its what I am using, not IO, any advice on that appreciated.
Old 10/29/2004, 07:01 AM
Garbologist

Quote:
See you all soon.
It is ya'll, not you all! You are moving to Texas. Get it right!

Whoops.....my bad. There are LFS in Dallas that sell Oceanic buckets, but I don't know what the price is. Probably around $55 is my guess. PetsMart does carry the 90 gallon container. You can see what the on-line price is on that and do the same thing. I go to Dallas at least every couple of months. I can pick up salt any time, but I don't think they stock much at a time.

Canton is a nice area also. I have been there many times. Where is your place?

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 10/29/2004, 07:06 AM
Moved On

Ok ya'll, lol, I will get it right, I was saying can ton, hubby says its canton, heheh, he was born and raised in Tx, all family is there, I am a yankee so have to learn how to talk texan I guess. lol.
I can get oceanic here for 50g bucket for 32.00, may have to get some to bring with me to make sure I have enough till I can find some there.
Not sure of the exact address, have it here somewhere, its out in the country, ( lol) on 40 acres. Home and 60' by 60' shop (hubby will be in heaven). Will get better directions when I find the address and will pm it to you. Karen
Old 10/29/2004, 07:20 AM
Garbologist

Take your hubby's word for it....it is Canton. Say it like Kanten.....but just barely pronounce the T. Practice before you get here so we won't think that your no crazy dad gumYankee!

Nice looking place you bought. No need to send me an address....that won't tell me anything. If someone in Texas asks you were you are located, you respond "A piece down FM(Farm to Market Road)____ (Fill in the blank) just north/south/east/west of town a bit." See how it works?

Old 10/29/2004, 07:28 AM
Moved On

hahahah, will do, you can see pics of the place on my web page I think, lol. I have picked up most of the words from living with him for over 30 years now, but have to get it right when I get there so ya"ll wont know I was once a yankee, lol
karen
Old 10/29/2004, 07:34 AM
Garbologist

Quote:
hahahah, will do, you can see pics of the place on my web page I think, lol. I have picked up most of the words from living with him for over 30 years now, but have to get it right when I get there so ya"ll wont know I was once a yankee, lol
karen
I looked at your pics.

BTW.......Once a yankee, always a yankee! But we'uns will be nice to ya anyway!

Old 10/29/2004, 07:36 AM
Moved On

lol, I shouldnt have told you about that, been a texan for over 30 so please forgive where I was born, I regret it, honest, lol. So what side of the lake are you on?
Old 10/29/2004, 07:55 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

Quote:
Originally posted by smiller
BTW.......Once a yankee, always a yankee! But we'uns will be nice to ya anyway!
Just because your cat has kittens in the oven doesn't mak'em biscuits

j/k . . . .
Old 10/29/2004, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Japheth

j/k . . . .
However, cats and kittens do make bisquits!

Cindy
Old 10/29/2004, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hi Karen, how soon is soon? We are ready for you to get here! Us gals will all have to get together sometime for a first Monday in Canton. That will be a fun way for us to get acquainted.! I guess some of the guys can go it they want to. My husband hates Canton so I'm just assuming that most of the other guys do to.

AS far as Oceanic goes around Tyler( and I use Oceanic), Pet Land almost always carries it. A bucket that makes up 200 gal. is $55. Sometimes they have it on sale. THe Dallas club just had a big buy through one of their stores and we got the 200 gl for $32. I bought 3 of them.

We still don't have Pet Land for a sponsor, but if they could see how they could benefit from us like through a group buy on salt etc, mabe they would. The store in Dallas I think ordered around 150 buckets to get us this price. Although I'm not sure what the minimum amount was required to get it. All I know is that when I went to pick it up it was stacked everywhere inside and outside. Especially outside on pallets that they had been delivered on. That's a lot of salt. I've been having to do so many water changes that I couldn't help but take advantage of it. THe owners of Pet Land , Dave and Robin, are really nice and you will enjoy working with them.

Hurry up and get here so we can all get accquainted!

Cindy
Old 10/29/2004, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

O.K. Bump, I'm still waiting on some pics of the new tank and cabinet. You've got me wanting a larger tank really bad. How thick is the glass on your new tank?

Will be waiting to hear from you. And what was the name or web address of that company again?

Cindy
Old 10/29/2004, 08:44 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

more pics! more pics!

Old 10/29/2004, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Hi Steve, are you Rick's brother-in-law?
Where abouts around Cedar Creek do you live?

Cindy
Old 10/29/2004, 11:38 AM
Moved On

Hi Gals, so happy there are gals there into reefs to, wow, cool, oh sorry, thats a yankee term, yeaaahawww, hehehehe
my moving date is the 8th of nov, but not sure I will be able to make that, may have to be postponed a week but will see.
Great on the salt, regular price here is 42.00 but sometimes there is a sale for 32.00. I think I will pick up a bucket to bring with me just in case I cant find it there fast. I have 3 large tanks that I am bringing with me, the roses, another 55 that is not set up and my 40g, the rest will be torn down. All livestock is coming with me so have to set them all up quick to get the stock into them, so will need the salt fast. Am bringing most of the water from them with me in 5g water bottles to hopefully the cycle wont be to much.
See you soon.
Old 10/29/2004, 11:43 AM
Garbologist

Quote:
Originally posted by beamer
Hi Steve, are you Rick's brother-in-law?
Where abouts around Cedar Creek do you live?

Cindy
I don't advertise it, but yes I am. I remember meeting you at Rick's house.

I live on the WalMart side.

Old 10/29/2004, 11:48 AM
Garbologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Japheth

j/k . . . .

Old 10/29/2004, 12:52 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

AquariaOCD,
I just went to the feed store this morning and they have oyster shell there for the same price so I'll just get it there.
Old 10/29/2004, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smiller
I don't advertise it, but yes I am. I remember meeting you at Rick's house.

I live on the WalMart side.
I thought so, its good to know that we will have several experienced people here with our little group. I still need all of the help I can get. I think I jumped in way over my head! Oh, well, maybe that's the best way to learn.

Cindy
Old 10/29/2004, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hi Gals, so happy there are gals there into reefs to, wow, cool, oh sorry, thats a yankee term, yeaaahawww, hehehehe
my moving date is the 8th of nov, but not sure I will be able to make that, may have to be postponed a week but will see.
Great on the salt, regular price here is 42.00 but sometimes there is a sale for 32.00. I think I will pick up a bucket to bring with me just in case I cant find it there fast. I have 3 large tanks that I am bringing with me, the roses, another 55 that is not set up and my 40g, the rest will be torn down. All livestock is coming with me so have to set them all up quick to get the stock into them, so will need the salt fast. Am bringing most of the water from them with me in 5g water bottles to hopefully the cycle wont be to much.
See you soon.
I know you have your hands full. We have a bunch of meetings coming up, but keep me informed on your moving date and if I can help I will be glad to. I'm just a newbie but I'll do what ever I can to help.

Cindy
Old 10/29/2004, 04:27 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Am bringing most of the water from them with me in 5g water bottles to hopefully the cycle wont be to much.
See you soon.
Since you are used to farming, find a Feed & Grain store and buy some 55g food-grade drums. I bought two of them for $12 each and you could transport 110g of water far more easily.
Old 10/29/2004, 06:03 PM
Moved On

Hi Marc, great idea, I have several allready and will use them. Thanks
Old 10/29/2004, 06:03 PM
Registered Member.

Hi all
The tank will stay in the truck for a few days becouse it hasta cure for 10 days. That will give me time to paint the inside of the tank top & to polyurethane the stand & top. I will take pictures in a few days after i get the stuff to start work with that way the stand wont get oil or dust on it. They wraped it up real good with plastic wrap. I will get pic. before i start on it & then after its done.
Bump