Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2004, 07:26 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

bump,
I think I'll tentatively plan for the 20th then, that will give me enough time to get everything. I might just use the CC from my tank and replace it with sand (if I can ever figure out if my goby would be happy with sand). I have enough of a CC/sand mix in my tank that I could just mix it with the portland and not have to buy anything else for the rock.
my tank is a 72 gallon bowfront. There's a couple pics in my gallery and as you'll be able to see I need about twice as much rock as what's in there. One bag of Portland ought to do it.
If you want to bring some stuff over we can work on yours at the same time.
Old 10/27/2004, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

How long does it have to cure for? I figured once you got it that it would be ready to go. Surely it will be fine by this weekend.

Cindy
Old 10/27/2004, 11:06 AM
Registered Member.

Hi japheath
I think your right you need more rock. I will havta wait on my rock becouse i might not need any. I have rock in a 110g & a 125g that are going in the 240g so i will need to see how that goes first. I am looking forward to helping you out on yours.
Bump

Cindy i dont know, it might not haveta cure. I hope it doesnt so i can get started.
Bump
Old 10/27/2004, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Japheth
just wondering . . .
anyone have any crushed coral and/or crushed oyster shell they would want to sell?
How much oyster do you want? I get it for about 6.00 a bag. I think they are 50 lb bags. I'll check and let you know.
Old 10/27/2004, 11:18 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

the tank is a 72 gallon and I think I have about 50-65 lbs. in there. I think I would like to double that though. The Portland comes in 90# bags and I'm going to add my cc/sand mix which I think is another 60-80 lbs. So that will give me a good amount and also some to store for hopefully someday another tank (or the sump when I get it hooked up).
I'm going to be switching out my substrate, I have the CC/sand mix and am just going to switch to sand. I'm also considering adding a starboard to the bottom for a little added protection.

(anyone have any sand they want to sell me?)
Old 10/27/2004, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Cindy,

When I talked to David I basically asked if he would host a meeting every now and then. As far as how much area we want to cover, I would say about an hours drive from Tyler. That puts us within easy driving distance for everyone. I guess Iour thinking should be that anyone who wants to participate should be allowed, as long as they are willing to drive. Maybe we could alternate meetings in between Tyler and Longview to make it a little easier on everyone. I need to sit down and put all the info together for RC so we can get the forum going. I'll make it my goal to get that done before the end of this week.

Kameron
Old 10/27/2004, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Japheth,

The oyster bags are 50 lbs.

Kameron
Old 10/27/2004, 11:45 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

sounds like I would only need one bag. So let's see, that would be:

93# portland
50# sand
50# crushed coral
50# oyster shell

(I just double checked all the weights)
Does this sound good? I know that the more ingredients you use that aren't concrete the more porous the rock is.
Old 10/27/2004, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

On DFWMAS they may have some extra South Down sand from their group buy if you want something that small a grain.

Cindy
Old 10/27/2004, 11:55 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

the only think I'm not sure about with the southdown is that I have a sleeper banded goby and I'm not sure if it would be happy with sand and haven't been able to get anyone to answer my thread asking about it.
Old 10/27/2004, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

I just use pure oyster in mine. I would totally forgo the sand. I mix my rock at 5 parts oyster to 1 part portland. just drop it into your mold a handful at a time and don't pack it in any way. I then cover it in dry oyster and let it set for at least 24 hours.
Old 10/27/2004, 12:48 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

the hard part with that is that the sand is already mixed into the CC in my tank. After thinking about it some I don't think I'll end up using the entire bag of portand.

do you have any pics of the rock you made?
Old 10/27/2004, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Sounds good to me!
Hope you are feeling better.

Cindy
Quote:
Originally posted by AquariaOCD
Cindy,

When I talked to David I basically asked if he would host a meeting every now and then. As far as how much area we want to cover, I would say about an hours drive from Tyler. That puts us within easy driving distance for everyone. I guess Iour thinking should be that anyone who wants to participate should be allowed, as long as they are willing to drive. Maybe we could alternate meetings in between Tyler and Longview to make it a little easier on everyone. I need to sit down and put all the info together for RC so we can get the forum going. I'll make it my goal to get that done before the end of this week.

Kameron
Old 10/27/2004, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Japheth, I just went to your thread. At least you have one response now and maybe some others will start chimming in.

How are you able to type My Thread and have it go to that address. I've been playing with it the last few minutes and have not figured it out yet.

Cindy

Quote:
the only think I'm not sure about with the southdown is that I have a sleeper banded goby and I'm not sure if it would be happy with sand and haven't been able to get anyone to answer my thread asking about it.
Old 10/27/2004, 01:47 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

when you post (not the quick reply at the bottom of the thread) click on the button that says "http://"
this will bring up a box, type in that box what you want your thread to say, hit enter, then another box will appear and you put the address in that box.
Old 10/27/2004, 01:52 PM
TRC Leader

In a newsletter from last year, one member from DFWMAS wrote an article on making your own LR.

http://www.dfwmas.com/pdf_files/July%20newsletter.pdf
Old 10/27/2004, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
when you post (not the quick reply at the bottom of the thread) click on the button that says "http://"
this will bring up a box, type in that box what you want your thread to say, hit enter, then another box will appear and you put the address in that box.
Ohhhh! Thanks, I just tested it and it worked!

Cindy
Old 10/27/2004, 02:27 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

great link melev, Thanks

here's the one I've been following
Old 10/28/2004, 08:13 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

AquariaOCD,
I think I might go with 2 bags of the oyster shell, still deciding though. I'll let you know soon as I'm sure.
I'm considering just using the white portland and the oyster shell and leaving the tank alone for now. I'll probably end up separating the CC out of the sand in the tank when I am getting ready to put the new rock in.
I'm not going to need the whole 92.5# bag of portland so my mom said she would buy the extra from me since I'm only going to use about 20-30#

So if the oyster shell is 50# for $6 (X2)
and I'll be paying about $3.50 for the cement
that ends up being $15.50 for 120-130#
Old 10/28/2004, 12:49 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

Ok, I've decided.
I'm going to just do the oyster shell and Portland, I saw some pics of it and it looks really good.
do you know when would be good for me to come pick some up? I could probably come out any weekend before the 20th.

Oh, and I talked to another friend last night and he is interested in the club. I told him I'd keep him updated with what is going on.
Old 10/28/2004, 02:28 PM
Registered Member.

Here is the picture of the 240g. I couldnt get any of the stand becouse its all wraped up in plastic. The tank will haveta cure a few more days, so it wont go up this weekend. After i get the stand and top in the house and uwraped i will take pic.
Bump

Old 10/28/2004, 02:54 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

nice, you'll have fun with that one
Old 10/28/2004, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
AquariaOCD,
I think I might go with 2 bags of the oyster shell, still deciding though. I'll let you know soon as I'm sure.
I'm considering just using the white portland and the oyster shell and leaving the tank alone for now. I'll probably end up separating the CC out of the sand in the tank when I am getting ready to put the new rock in.
I'm not going to need the whole 92.5# bag of portland so my mom said she would buy the extra from me since I'm only going to use about 20-30#

So if the oyster shell is 50# for $6 (X2)
and I'll be paying about $3.50 for the cement
that ends up being $15.50 for 120-130#
Glad you found pics, Japheth. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I'm starting to feel a little better now, though. It's great cheap rock. I'll be glad to pick you up a couple of bags next Wednesday. If you want to try to find it locally, I buy it at the local feed store. Farmers feed it to chickens.

Nice tank, Bump!
Old 10/28/2004, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

O.K. Bump! We are ready to see some pics of your awesome new tank. It doesn't have to be all put together. I can't wait to see it.

Cindy
Old 10/28/2004, 09:46 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

Quote:
Originally posted by AquariaOCD
Glad you found pics, Japheth. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I'm starting to feel a little better now, though. It's great cheap rock. I'll be glad to pick you up a couple of bags next Wednesday. If you want to try to find it locally, I buy it at the local feed store. Farmers feed it to chickens.
Glad to hear you are feeling better!

There's a new feed store about a mile from me, I'll check there in the morning and let you know if I can get it there or not.