Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2004, 07:46 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

do we still need to decide on a name? of the ones mentioned so far my vote would be for "East Texas Reefers" or "ArkLaTex Reefers" and like bump said, we might get more response from the other two states if we use ArkLaTex reefers.
Old 10/20/2004, 09:56 PM
Registered Member.

charsters hi did you make it by the fish store. any news on the schools letting your better 1/2 post the flyers. Hows that green water going.
Old 10/21/2004, 11:54 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

I may be jumping the gun a little here but I'll ask anyway. I'm going to be making some live rock sometime on one of the next few weekends and wanted to see if anyone else was interested in working on this also.
Old 10/21/2004, 12:27 PM
Moved On

How about texarla, easier to pronounc and includes all three states, Just my thoughts.
Old 10/23/2004, 12:27 AM
Registered Member.

Hi Japheth
I might can help - it will depend on when it is. We have to pick up my new tank either on the 27th or the 29th. its a big one 240gallons. Hope we can get it in next weekend. Let me know when you are going to do it. Cindy might want to try this as well.
Bump
Old 10/23/2004, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bump321
Hi Japheth
I might can help - it will depend on when it is. We have to pick up my new tank either on the 27th or the 29th. its a big one 240gallons. Hope we can get it in next weekend. Let me know when you are going to do it. Cindy might want to try this as well.
Bump
I have more LR than I can handle at this time. I think my husband may set up a little tank at the office and that will eliminate some of it for me. Its beautiful rock but for the way I have it arranged right now its just too much. My sand has come in so I'll be moving my tank in a few weeks. I may be able to stack it differently so that I can easily use it all.

However, I would like to learn how to make the rock. I think that would be fun. I think Kameron has been making some of his own if I remember correctly. I just need to figure out when I'm going to be able to get my tank moved.

Cindy
Old 10/23/2004, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Hi all,
Yeah Kam and I are makin rock. (Im his Bro) Its pretty Easy and kinda fun.
I cool to see all of you guys in the area. I hope we can get to gether soon. Later
Old 10/23/2004, 10:37 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

jathan_innerarity
Do you know where Kameron is? haven't heard anything from him on here in a while? He gone for a little while?
Old 10/24/2004, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

I am making LR too. My friend and I are setting up to mass culture it without having to put it in the ocean.
Old 10/24/2004, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Kams been out for the count for a few days. His backs gone out and he cant sit in his chair to surf RC. Ill let him know you guys are a lookin for him. If its important PM me I see him daily.
-jay
Old 10/25/2004, 09:25 AM
Registered Member.

Hi Jay
Thanks for the news on Kameron. Thats why i didnt get a reply on my pm to him some time ago. Hope his back is geting better. My back acts up on me so i know how he feels. Tell him we all wish him well & hope to hear from him but not to get into his cpu chair to soon.
Bump
Old 10/25/2004, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

No Prob Bump
Old 10/25/2004, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

OK guys, I finally moved my moniter onto the floor so I could see what is going on. No emails yet. Our local LFS doesn't seem to want to play. They haven't put out our fliers. Cindy, maybe you could try talking to them. I ruptured a disk in my back, So I may be hit or miss on getting in contact with me. My dogs and I traded places. Now they get the couch and I'm regulated to the floor. As far as making rock, like my brother said - we've been making base rock with oyster shell and portland cement. Works great. Just have to wait for it to cure.
Old 10/25/2004, 11:11 PM
Registered Member.

Welcome back Aquaria
None at all ? How many of us are there ?
How much of each on the shell & cement, do you use any thing else & how much water ? How long does it take to cure ?
Bump
Old 10/26/2004, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

Hi Kameron, I can also sypathize with the back.
However, you better get well soon!! Remember--your suppose to help me break down and move my tank! JUST KIDDING!!! ! But seriously we want you better!

I went to the LFs the other day to pick up the sand they ordered for me. Neither Dave or Robin were there. I talked to one of the young ladies there and she commented that you had been by with the flyers but he had not put them out or made any decision yet that she was aware of. She's been trying to talk him into it saying that it would be to their advantage. I'll try to get by again and talk to him. She mentioned that he had commented that we wanted him to sponsor us. What all is involved with being a sponsor? The more info I can have the better before I go in and visit with him.

1. How many stores do we have now that want to be involved with us and sponsor us?

2. How many total of us are interested in having an East Tx club?

3. Have we decided yet how much area the East Tx club will cover? Will we limit it to E. Tx or are we looking at the ArkLaTx area?
4. Where will the club be based out of? Tyler, Longview, etc.
5. When we are talking about someone sponsoring us, how much money per month are we talking about?

Kameron, did you say that we could have a forum on RC for our club or once we start our club will we be on our own for setting up something?

Also Karmeron, is there a flyer you could send to me or e-mail me. I haven't seen it yet. I'm hoping that Dave hasn't thrown them away. (or just tell me what you have printed on it)

Sorry this is so long.
Cindy
Old 10/26/2004, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

I gave the flyers to the TAMUCC Student Affairs office quite a while ago. I'll check on it in the AM since I feel like crap and I am not going into work/school today.
Old 10/26/2004, 08:28 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

Cindy, send me an email at japhetholson@letu.edu and I'll reply back with a copy of the flyer for you.

bump, I'm going to try to make the live rock one weekend in november, probably the 13th or 20th, Would you be interested in getting together to work on this? anyone else is welcome also. Which date would work best?

I went into Wet Pets and Critters last night and didn't see the flyers up yet, the owners weren't there so I didn't get to ask them about it yet.
Old 10/26/2004, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

What is it with you guys feeling so poorly? We need you all healthy! Jeepguy I also hope you get to feeling better pretty quick! Feeling bad is no fun at all.

Bump, when you dropped off the flyers did you talk to the owners about sponsorship if so what all did you say to them?

Japheth, apparently you had some good luck with Wet Pets and Critters. How did you approach this with them? I think its great that they are willing to help us out with meetings and provide speakers.

Just trying to get an idea of what I need to tell them before I go in.

Thanks everyone,
Cindy
Old 10/26/2004, 08:34 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

when I went in at wet pets all I did was ask if she had gotten the flyer I left for her and mentioned that we were starting up a reef club and from there she offered that we could try to meet there once a month and she would try to get some manufacturers or speakers in when we meet and possibly even get us free stuff/discounts through the manufacturers.
Old 10/26/2004, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

I did it to myself, but thanks for the sympathy nonetheless. I got sick harvesting shrimp Saturday night in the damp night air.
I DID get about 50 lbs of fresh (still live) shrimp right out of the pond for the trouble, though. That brings my total for fresh frozen shrimp (in my freezer) to about 80 lbs now.
Old 10/26/2004, 09:23 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

just wondering . . .
anyone have any crushed coral and/or crushed oyster shell they would want to sell?
Old 10/26/2004, 09:12 PM
Registered Member.

Hi japheth
Either weekend will work for me. I dont have any cc sorry. Cindy how abought you can you come help japheth make some rock for his tank. Im going to i think it will be fun. If it turns out well i might get you all to come to my place and make some for my new tank. Japheth just let me know a day or two before so i dont forget. What kind of tank do you have & how big.
I am going to pick up my new 240g tank tomarrow i bet i dont get any sleep tonight. I havent even seen the stand or top so i am wired. This thing will be huge ( 8 feet by 2 feet by 25 inch ). Any one up for a swim?
Bump
Old 10/26/2004, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

I can't wait to see your new tank. I know it will be totally awesome! Are you still going to wait until the weekend to set it up? Loyd and I are looking forward to helping you out. Just let us know which day you will be setting it up.

I would also like to help with the rock, I'm just not sure yet about our schedule or if I'll be moving my tank. Just keep me in touch on the date.

Cindy
Old 10/26/2004, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Smile

Grats on the new tank Bump! Take lots of pics!
Old 10/26/2004, 10:45 PM
Registered Member.

Cindy i hope to but i think i have ta wait & let the tank cure becouse it was just built. I dont know for sure but i will find out .

casie hi my family lives in elm grove there close by Taylors.
Thanks on the tank & i will take some pic. as soon as i get home, it will still be on the truck though.
Bump