Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

disbjohn- i just recieved my tech 120 about 3 weeks ago and it had the starfire front. i sent it back because the side peice of glass had 4 clamshells on the inside edge.( i will try and post some pics in the am) i will be recieving my new one in a couple of days and will let you know, but from what oceanic has told me and the distributer who is sending me the new tank it will be with a starfire front. and if not well they will be having another one sent back.
Old 08/29/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

I went from a real high to a real low yesterday. I was telling one of our local dealers that I wanted to get a 120 with starfire glass on three sides and he said to look at the Oceanic Tech Series since that is what they had. I found this thread and started reading from the beginning and got more excited as I read. I even called him back to get a price. Unfortunately, now that I'm at the end of the thread, I'm bummed. I'm sure this is still a great tank, but I realy want one with starfire glass. I would still go for it if I knew I'd get one like Larry's.
Old 08/29/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

I called Oceanic a couple weeks ago and they confirmed the Tech tanks do have the Starfire front. And when I picked mine up, you can definitely tell it is Starfire. Hope this helps.
Old 08/29/2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

so why is there so much confusion?
Old 08/29/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

This confusion around these tanks is ridiculous. The dealers are not even being given the right information, if any at all.

I looked into getting a bigger tank, the Ultimate series, nada, no body know's zip. My tech 120 is starphire in the front only, contrary to what every dealer i spoke with said.

Nopt their fault, Oceanic makes a good tank, but my 4 yr old could build a better website and keep it updated.

weaksauce.
Old 08/29/2007, 09:33 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by nattydread
This confusion around these tanks is ridiculous. The dealers are not even being given the right information, if any at all.

I looked into getting a bigger tank, the Ultimate series, nada, no body know's zip. My tech 120 is starphire in the front only, contrary to what every dealer i spoke with said.

Nopt their fault, Oceanic makes a good tank, but my 4 yr old could build a better website and keep it updated.

weaksauce.

weaksouse but still pimpin souse

the thing is its still a sick tank and a huge improvement over the RR designs that overflow is very nice...

they are really starting over the guys who ran oceanic dipped out and oceanic merged with AGA and they changed factorys and stuff got messed up

i still want my 45 cube just as much.
Old 08/29/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

My 120 Tech has starphire on 3 sides because it was built prior to 10/06. I also took the black plastic bracing off and took it to a glass shop to have them ground, bevel and polish the edges on top to make it rimless. I do not have any pics right now because it is out in the garage covered up not being used.
Old 08/29/2007, 04:13 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

You aren't nervous about the lack of bracing?
Old 08/29/2007, 04:18 PM
ostensibly normal

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperfocal
You aren't nervous about the lack of bracing?
These tanks are eurobraced, although it is plastic.
Old 08/29/2007, 04:48 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Ahhh, he just removed a black plastic shroud from over the glass eurobracing?
Old 08/29/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

My 45 has only plastic around the top. No glass eurobracing that I can see.
Old 08/29/2007, 06:57 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Ok, now I'm confused.

Theop, did you read RoBolton's post where he mentioned he removed the black plastic from the top?
Old 08/29/2007, 08:23 PM
ostensibly normal

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperfocal
Ok, now I'm confused.

Theop, did you read RoBolton's post where he mentioned he removed the black plastic from the top?
Somehow I missed the critical point that he removed this plastic rim (the eurobracing). So yea, I'd worry about the tank integrity unless it was replaced with either a center brace or glass eurobracing.
Old 08/29/2007, 11:20 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Okay, cool -- thought I was losing my marbles there for a minute :-D
Old 08/30/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

I'd be worried too. Unless he had them replace it with something else. Love to see it. Man, I wish I would have ordered them when they were 3 sided starphire if that's true. Oceanic seems like they dont know what they are talking about. I've talked to them 3 different times. =( Each time something different. We need a Vice President to come in here to set things straight.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 08/30/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

I know it would cost more, but can you order one and specify that you want starfire on all three sides?
Old 08/30/2007, 10:22 AM
Lenny & Squiggy

I was looking into buying a Tech series tank drilled for a CL but I was never able to get *any* kind of info at all from Oceanic. My LFS was able to track down pricing info, along the way learning that Oceanic was cutting certain sizes from their overall product line (the 5 foot, 110 gal was cut for example... which is too bad since I was considering that tank too)

I get the impression that Central Pet is trying to streamline their whole operation. If that is the case, I really doubt they're interested in custom orders. There are custom tank manufacturers out there, some are RC sponsors...
Old 08/30/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
My 120 Tech has starphire on 3 sides because it was built prior to 10/06. I also took the black plastic bracing off and took it to a glass shop to have them ground, bevel and polish the edges on top to make it rimless. I do not have any pics right now because it is out in the garage covered up not being used.

Pics please, it could work, the glass is 1/2". I doubt that plastic eurobrace does much at all. But I havent gone over it with magnifying glass either.
Old 08/30/2007, 03:10 PM
ostensibly normal

Quote:
Originally posted by nattydread
Pics please, it could work, the glass is 1/2". I doubt that plastic eurobrace does much at all. But I havent gone over it with magnifying glass either.
That might be true... but would you want to be the one to find out?
Old 08/30/2007, 04:48 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

I'm not sure if the glass thickness has much to do with it -- glass tanks aren't made with cemented butt joints like acrylic tanks, rather are held together by the silicon sealant and associated plastic bits.

Look at it this way: You own Oceanic. You are making this cool high-end aquarium. If you *could* remove some plastic bracing and a) cut costs, thus increasing profit and b) make the tank look even cooler, why wouldn't you? Because your manufacturing engineer assures you that the bracing is there for structural reasons, and that your warranty claims will go through the roof if you remove it.

At least, that's how I'd look at it...
Old 08/31/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted By RoBolton;

"My 120 Tech has starphire on 3 sides because it was built prior to 10/06."

Ummmmm, sorry, but if your tank was built prior to October '06, your tank was made using "ultra-clear" glass. You have NO starphire panes.

Joe
Old 08/31/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

OK, I just ordered a Tech 120. It will probably be a couple of weeks before it comes in. Can you guys that already have them measure and tell me the exact dimensions, length and width? And if you know how wide the load bearing edge is? I may start working on the stand before it gets here, but only if I can be sure of the dimensions.
Old 08/31/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ummmmm, sorry, but if your tank was built prior to October '06, your tank was made using "ultra-clear" glass. You have NO starphire panes.

Joe [/B]
My 120 Oceanic TT has "starphire or ultra-clear or low-e or what ever" on 3 sides but thanks any way for the assumption. What do you think "ultra-clear" is?

www.ppgstarphire.com
Old 09/01/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

RoBolton;

Here is the e-mail I received from Rob at Central Aquatics, when I inquired about the staphire glass on the Tech tanks. No assumption on my part!!!!! (notice...Ultra-Clear is Cheaper than Starphire).

"I checked the “Bill Of Materials” in the computer system and the only pane of glass listed as starfire is the front panel. I know that when the tanks were being made in Texas they were using “ultra clear” glass which is cheaper than star fire. When the production was moved up to Franklin Wisconsin they started using starfire glass.
I just talked to one of the engineers and he said that they were going back and forth on whether they should do the sides and front in starfire, or just the front. They chose just the front due to cost of the finish tank to the distributor. The tanks started being built here in October of 2006."

Regards,

Rob Moneyhan
Central Aquatics
Product Lines Tech Support
Phone# 1-800-255-4527 or 1-414-423-8544 ext. 1215
Fax# 1-800-398-0396 or 1-414-421-4195
rmoneyhan@central.com

I hope this helps you understand.

Joe
Old 09/10/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Hi everyone.

I'v read most of this thread and I had one question hopefully someone here can help me. I got this great deal off craigslist and what he did was use an AGA 120 but got hte Oceanic Tech stand. My question is, besides using some sort of pendent is there any canopies avaliable to match the stand? My lfs here in Kansas City have not had any luck finding something, is it them or am I just being too creative?

Thanks

Eddie