Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Black-Spotted Foxface rare ot common?

I have read that the black-spotted foxface is rare as stated from such web-sites as Marinecenter. Why are they "rarer" than the regular yellow and black combination? Do they come from different areas? I would assume their husbandry are about the same. What are people's expirences with these fish In Fowlr? Anyone ever get stung? Thanks for any experiences or info. Regards, Tim Pics below.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21956160@N07/2164583292/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21956160@N07/2164582566/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2195616...n/photostream/
Old 01/03/2008, 07:35 PM
Devil in the fur

that doesn't look any diff than the reg foxface lo. In my experience they are terrible in aggressive tanks as they are always scared.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:43 PM
Dismembered

Not at all rare. See them all the time. Good community fish though. Wouldn't mix them with anything that's aggressive.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

On a plus note they're hardy as heck, and almost guaranteed to be a bold feeder

as a side digression ... is this only for the one-spot/no spot foxface ?

How "skittish" is the magnificent foxface ? Or the other rabbitfishes ?
Old 01/04/2008, 10:01 AM
Team RC Member

I don't find foxfaces and rabbitfish all that skittish. I have a blue spotted rabbitfish that hangs out with a niger trigger. Whenever the trigger gets out of line, the rabbitfish raises its spines. It never runs or hides. I have had the same experience with magnificent foxface. I would not expect any of the yellow foxfaces to be different. They are calm, nice fish. Sometimes they take a while to settle in. But I find them to be assertive, and able to stand up for themselves, at least with the aggressives I keep (eels, triggers, grouper, green wolf eel, puffer).
Old 01/04/2008, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I have a 5" Magnificent Foxface, a 5" Harlequin Tusk, and a 24" Snowflake Eel... Will be adding an Emperor Angel, Picasso Trigger, and Yellow Tang (reverse order)... Thus far, the Foxface rules the tank and the Tusk is left picking up scraps from the Foxface...

I don't think they are all that skittish.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

hmm i see what you 2 mean.

My old foxfaces (yellow 1 spots) were aggressively bold during feeding time, and would erect spines and hold their ground when being approached by other fish .. but they were definitely first to dart back when the owner would approach and startle everyone else in the process.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

not rare at all, ime the no-spot foxface is alot harder to find. I saw one ages ago but my tank wasn't ready, now I can't find one. I just prefer it without the spot.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Don't think they're very rare.

My foxface (no spot) is scared of everything. My powder brown tang loves to torment the foxface. Some times he'll get so wound up when I'm cleaning the glass he'll smack into the glass and rocks pretty hard. I have to leave the room for a while until he calms down out of fear that he'll hurt himself or sting me. Haven't been stung "yet."

He is quite bold when it comes to feeding time though.

Very hardy fish. Mine survived 2 months at a new petco and was my first fish. Doesn't get much hardier than that.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 01/09/2008, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

I had a foxface til he stung and killed my passer angel. He was skiddish but wanted to follow the passer all over the tank til the angel turned around then he would "flare" out.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:02 PM
Devil in the fur

IMO, it seems that the yellow foxface is more skiddish than the other kinds of foxfaces. I went through 2 yellow face face lo's and they just couldn't handle triggers, then I got a honeycomb foxface and he is fine with them. The honeycomb even follows my humu all around the tank like they are schooling.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

I agree not rare.