Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation Cyro's Acrylite GP (cell cast acrylic)

Greetings all, just a heads-up and favor if you will:

4 x 8' sheets of 1/4"(6mm) Cyro's Acrylite GP brand cell cast acrylic are now being made in China.

The sheet size has changed from 51 x 100" to 48 x 96", in theory - is supposed to be the same quality material as what we have been used to. The only things that I've heard about were that the sheet sizes have changed (noted above) and the new paper is not as good.

This was dropped on us about a week ago without notice, so consider this your only notice of this change and I didn't hear it from Cyro but a fellow fabricator who called me to inquire about it. I called Cyro to ask and they confirmed it. This is only supposed to be the 4 x 8' sheets of 1/4" (6mm). All other thicknesses and sheet sizes of 1/4" (5 x 8', 6 x 8', etc) are still made in the USA AFAIK. I don't know if the new sheets will be marked "Made in China" or not. I don't know if it's just clear or colors as well, but my bet it is just clear as that is the largest commodity.

I would ask any of you guys that are buying this material to check the dimensions of the sheet, if it is 48 x 96", please, please let me know how it works out. If the material is good or not, clarity, how it glues, paper quality, etc. So I would ask you guys for input/reviews if you'd be so kind.

It will affect how new products are made and marketed regarding "domestic material" and NAFTA preferences will change due to this so I have to be picky about if/when I use it.

Again, this is only for 4 x 8' sheets of 1/4"(6mm) Cyro Acrylite GP brand cell cast acrylic.

Thanks a bunch,
James

Mods: the new materials might/can/will affect the DIYer as there *may* be variations in the quality of material they are using so that's why I posted it in this forum, if this is incorrect - pls let me know.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up James.......Sigh....... I'm not sure what else I really want to say about that.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:52 AM
Premium Member

Is the Acrylite manufacturing process compromised by being in the southern hemisphere?
Old 01/06/2008, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

China huh? after what we got in our Dog food. Kid's toys. Won tons
makes me wonder what kind of junk they are going to put in cell cast now.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kuhli
Is the Acrylite manufacturing process compromised by being in the southern hemisphere?
LOL Can't say really, the process itself should not change, but:
We've been using this material for *many* years, hopefully the quality control won't change being in a new plant. Hopefully they will be using the same resins as they always have. Hopefully, but if the masking paper is any indicator, it will change and not for the better I'm afraid.

What absolutely will change is the size of the sheet; from being 35.4 sq ft to 32 sq ft, that is a ~10% reduction in material for the same price. Any NAFTA preferences will change due to not being made in North or Central America.

All cell cast acrylic made outside the USA (with one exception) is IMO trash for our purposes, hopefully this will be another exception.

Many companies will either have to retool to accommodate using 5 x 8' or 6 x 8' sheets or use a more expensive material to keep the "Made in USA" bug as there is now only one company making 4 x 8' sheets of good 1/4" material in this country, in either case the pricing for products could easily go up and with good reason.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

the lead content might be higher. LOL
Old 01/08/2008, 09:31 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Hi James,
Could you explain "Nafta preferences"? Is this just that you prefer to use products made in the USA, or is it a term used in your industry somewhere.
Thanks,
Chris.

PS; All the more reason to GO BIG and leave the 1/4" stuff alone

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 01/08/2008, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Chris,
the preferences have to do with how duties are imposed in NAFTA countries. Something made with all "American" materials will have ...
This site will explain it better than I can and with less typing
http://www.export.gov/logistics/exp_001034.asp
Essentially speaking, anyone importing parts from you would want preference criterion A or B, if your parts are made with "non-American" materials - they have to pay higher duties so you may not get the order. May not be very important to the average hobbyist but anyone exporting products (even skimmers and reactors) should have some familiarity with this.

James
Old 01/08/2008, 11:11 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Thanks a million James! Always more to learn
BTW, How many beers do I owe you now, anyway?

Old 01/09/2008, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

beer, hmm, I"ll be down in the Dublin/San Ramon area at end of Feb if ya wanna grab one or 5

James
Old 01/09/2008, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Is it only the 1/4" I just got a sheet of cell cast 3/8" 4x8
the paper looks a little different
Old 01/09/2008, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truthdesigns
Is it only the 1/4" I just got a sheet of cell cast 3/8" 4x8
the paper looks a little different
From what I've been told, just the 4 x 8' sheets of 1/4" Acrylite GP.

James
Old 01/09/2008, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

James if you are looking for a nice bar in San Ramon check out Izzy's Steakhouse. Its where the old O'Kanes Pub used to be. They did an amazing job rebuilding the place and the bar is one of the nicest I have ever been to.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Chicken, will do.
We should throw a party, seein' as how Chris is buying

James
Old 01/09/2008, 07:07 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Lemme crack my piggy bank first