Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/17/2007, 04:13 PM

Ouch. That smarts.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

WE WANT PICS!!!!!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Yes Please..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/21/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

mmmmm hmmmm
Old 12/24/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

happy holidays to you and your family Mike. Your tank is getting better and better everyday.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

man where are those update pics you promised?

Brent
Old 12/28/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

yeah,,,,update picture,,,,,,,,,
Old 12/29/2007, 12:40 AM
Team RC Member

Sorry everyone, I just got back in town today. I've been gone and off-line since the 21st. I was reluctant to post since I don't have pics yet, but I didn't want to be rude. Actually, now that I think of it, it's probably more rude to post without pics than not to post at all. I'll try to snap some shots this weekend and get them posted on Monday. Really, I will!

Things actually fared pretty well in my absence. The house sitter added topoff water to the reservoir, fed the fish, stirred the ZEOliths, and added a few ZEOvit additives for me while I was gone. The new corals are all where I originally mounted them, and all are alive except for a small tank-raised elegance coral that didn't make it. I can see signs of decent growth from some of the frags, and most have kept their color pretty well. A Miyagi tort is pretty bleached, but happily the cali tort is still a fairly dark blue. On the fish front, the powder blue tang has ich on the pectoral fins as well as some spots on the body, but it ate aggressively and doesn't look thin at all. I'm hopeful that this isn't the beginning of the end for this fish. I don't know what happened, but the emerald crabs look like they've doubled in size. I saw an empty green shell and some claws on the sand, and the crabs are very shiny, so I know they've molted, but dang I can't believe how big they are!

Tomorrow I'm doing a water change, changing out the carbon, siphoning the sand, and changing out the filter socks, along with whatever else I end up doing. Hopefully that will include taking some photos. I hope everyone had a nice holiday, and thanks for following along.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:26 AM
clownfish fan

tangs always get ich when you go on vacation keep pumping the nori into it, it will clear up.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:41 AM
Team RC Member

Thanks for the reassurance, GSMguy. Nori going into tank. I also want to try broccoli for its nutritional value. I can't remember where I read it but I seem to recall it should be blanched to soften the broccoli fibers before adding it to the tank. I'll search for the proper method.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:50 AM
Team RC Member

Ahh, here it is, from MaxxII (hope you don't mind me quoting you).

"Broccoli is probably the best non marine vegatable to feed herbivores in the reef tank. The main drawback to it is that the fibers of the plant are so tough, that the fish have a difficult time digesting them completely. So you basically cook the broccoli florets on the stove on high heat in a frying pan for a few minutes til their bright green. The heat breaks down the fibers pretty well. After that, I put them in the freezer. When I need to feed, I pop a floret in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, which defrosts it, and further breaks down the fibers. The freezing does the same thing. Also, you can steam the broccoli for 10 minutes and then freeze it/microwave it."
Old 12/29/2007, 10:16 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
Thanks for the reassurance, GSMguy. Nori going into tank. I also want to try broccoli for its nutritional value. I can't remember where I read it but I seem to recall it should be blanched to soften the broccoli fibers before adding it to the tank. I'll search for the proper method.
Dude

I am with GSMguy on that. When I see my rabbit's eyes getting even a little cloudy or YT getting a little thin, I soak some Seaweed Select in Zoe and feed it. They clear right up!

I generally feed the fortified seaweed once a week but really give it an extra soaking when I see potential health issues. I find too much of the vitamins add lots of nutrient.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:41 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks for the "second," Bax. I blanched the broccoli, added a couple drops of garlic extreme, then clipped this along with some nori and placed it in the tank. The yellow tang attacked the nori and I didn't see the powder blue take any, although it usually only ate a small amount even when it didn't have ich. The yellow has sampled the broccoli a little but I don't think the PBT has touched it. I'll leave it in for a while today to see if it gets eaten. I may even try some banana.

As for the broccoli, I have an easier technique than Max's, and I assume it's just as healthy for the fish. Just get some frozen organic broccoli, and when you want to feed some, pull out what you need from the bag, nuke it in the microwave, and you're ready to go. That's what I'll do in the future.
Old 12/29/2007, 03:25 PM
TRC Leader

I've never heard that about broccoli. What I'd heard was to blanch it in boiling water for 15 seconds, then place it in the tank. The quoted information is significantly different. Perhaps the 15 seconds was more about killing off any pests and remove any pesticides.

I've put banana in my tank before and my Purple Tang loved it. Spock just watched and wondered what the heck was going on.

One fish store was rubberbanding a wedge of orange (with the rind) to a piece of rock, and placing that in any tank that had tangs. I never heard how that worked out.
Old 12/29/2007, 03:44 PM

Our local PetSmart puts orange slices in all their tanks. I figure if they are doing it, I should definitely NOT do it!
Old 12/29/2007, 04:15 PM
Will work 4 corals

I tried the broccoli and my Tangs wouldn't touch it.

So shoot me!
Old 12/29/2007, 06:27 PM
Onyx Clownfish

Try thin zucchini or cucumber slices with the exterior trimmed off. My tangs mow it down almost as fast as the nori.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:31 PM

How about just feeding them nori? I would bet the alternative people foods probably wreak havoc on their digestive systems. I feed my fish vitamin enriched nori every day.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

i hate walking into a thread thats already 30 pages in... i think my eyes are going to fall out!
very impressive man! its rare to see such a clean set up, great work! i might have to recruit you when i decide to get my litte 75g going
Old 12/29/2007, 08:03 PM
Team RC Member

Well after looking at the broccoli for a few hours, both tangs have decided to mow it down. This pleases Dudester! Melev, as for the duration of boiling (blanching) the broccoli, it's all about rendering the vegetable soft enough to allow the tangs to eat it, while avoiding a soggy mess that falls apart in the tank. I blanched mine for about a minute and a half, then transferred it to ice cold water. The pieces were then cut into portions and laid out to dry before placing them into a freezer bag for future use. But again, I think using pre-frozen organic broccoli is how I'll proceed one I use up all of this.

robster - I'll give the cucumber and zucchini a try some time, thanks. BTW, I got some filter socks from the place you recommended and they are great, thanks for the link!

Jonathan, I will continue to feed nori, I just like being able to throw in some more variation, that's all.

chrismunn - Thanks for the very nice words, much appreciated. Let me know when you need some help.

Mike
Old 12/29/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

FWIW I am a big cook and when you cook the broccoli you lose the GOOD nutrients.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:39 PM

That's OK Tanya, most of them are going into the water column!
Old 12/30/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Pix please
Old 12/30/2007, 10:54 AM
clownfish fan

Rods food has broccoli and carrots in it, along with super enriched nori peices. i feed that and julian sprungs sea veggies green and purple sheets.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

so why again would you feed broccoli or oranges when you can buy nutritious "engineered" foods?