Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 01:26 AM
Reef Cowboy

FYI: GBs

I know several BAR members are active in many places on RC, including the MARS (Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento) forum.

For what it's worth, we are involved in many upcoming and/or existing group buys: Neptune Systems (controller) products, Precision Marine products (media reactors specifically), GFO, DI resin, TMPCC, possibly a Fijiian Island... Knowing we have joint members/crossover, some members thought it could benefit us all if we joined together for purchasing power.

Invitation is extended to ANY reefers within a reasonable and mutually beneficial radius.

Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited by kevin95695; 12/06/2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:33 AM
Tailspot Blenny

fun! I need a Giesemann Spectra, Icecap Ballasts, and some other things... any of that on your GB list?
Old 12/06/2007, 10:19 AM
Reef Cowboy

At this moment I am aware of two open group buys that we are trying to execute:

Neptune Systems Products (Aquacontroller/DC8/DC4/Probes)

and

Precision Marine 'Phosban' style substrate reactors

There is also some leftover...

GFO (think Phosban)
Old 12/06/2007, 11:28 AM
PKSN

The current trend in BAR has been to move away from the 'buying club' mentality and focus on what the club can do that doesn't involve spending money or saving money. The drive to save money becomes a powerful lemming like focus that tends to drown out everything else.

FWIW, I often find group buys not to be worth it. Sure you save a little money, but you have to wait for it to happen, you have to spend time and gas getting to the pick up and you have to factor in all the group buys that you wanted to be part of that didn't work out.

Not that I think GB's are terrible, we just get worried at how quickly they become focal points of the club. GB's seem to work best when the pick up is scheduled for a meeting when people are going to be there anyway, or when the items are shipped to an LFS for pickup (it helps the sponsors!). LFS sponsor the tar out of us and group buys that run around them seem can be a poor long term strategy for the club.

Whew! That was a lot!
Old 12/06/2007, 03:15 PM
Member Registered

I agree. Group buys do more harm than good to the clubs. I worked in LFSs for many years and store owners don't want to donate or support the clubs when the clubs don't support them. Group buys should really be done through the sponsors. One of my favorite saying is "being cheap can be very expensive".
Old 12/06/2007, 03:44 PM
Ugly fishes need love too

Quote:
Originally posted by Thales
The current trend in BAR has been to move away from the 'buying club' mentality and focus on what the club can do that doesn't involve spending money or saving money. The drive to save money becomes a powerful lemming like focus that tends to drown out everything else.

[...]

Not that I think GB's are terrible, we just get worried at how quickly they become focal points of the club.
Our Board of Directors had even considered abandoning our RC BAR forum due to "buying club" and other distracting issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thales
LFS sponsor the tar out of us and group buys that run around them seem can be a poor long term strategy for the club.
Absolutely.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:50 PM
Reef Cowboy

In one case, the sponsor would only do it through a retailer. Plus, I think it is better for the LFS/club relationship to include them in the process than go over their heads. In any group buy I start, I make an effort to make it beneficial to all parties. Has to make sense. Last thing I want is to sour my reputation with my local retailers.

I hear what you're saying. If the majority of BAR feels this way, I'll keep it off BAR and leave it up to individuals to jump on MARS if they choose. Invitation stands to those who wish to participate.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:00 PM
Ugly fishes need love too

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin95695
If the majority of BAR feels this way, I'll keep it off BAR and leave it up to individuals to jump on MARS if they choose. Invitation stands to those who wish to participate.
Thanks for your understanding with regard to how our BOD would like to focus club priorities and activities!

Much appreciated, Kevin
Old 12/06/2007, 04:01 PM
PKSN

--

Last edited by Thales; 12/06/2007 at 04:49 PM.