Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Nikon D40x with extention tubes, getting better

These are the latest pics with my Nikon D40x with macro extention tubes. All are with the 55-200 zoom. I don't have the money for the Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S Macro lens..$$$ .. lol..

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon
Old 12/19/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Here are a couple more shots.

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon
Old 12/19/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Very nice. I have been very happy with the Sigma 150 macro. It is less expensive than the Nikon 105.

Mike
Old 12/20/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

I have the same lens 55-200mm lens, what is the trick to use this lens for macro? Do you put a tripod few feet away
Old 12/21/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

The problem with the 55-200mm lens is that it doesn’t have macro capabilities. That means that you will not be able to focus on macros.

What I did was purchase a set of macro extension ring set. These are three tubes that are placed between the camera and the lens. You use them as a single tube or in combination depending on how close you want to get. The distance of the lens from the glass of the aquarium is more or less from 6inches to 1 foot. That way you are able to macro focus. They cost me $16.00 with shipping on ebay.

You will need a good tripod because the speed in some photos is of various seconds. The aperture with the extension tubes is fixed at f22, which is good for depth of field.

The problem with the tubes is that the image in the viewfinder is dark making it more difficult to focus manually and there is no metering. You will have to take various shots until you find the correct exposure.

I think is a good alternative to the expensive macro lenses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=011
Old 12/21/2007, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Beautiful Tank/Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/21/2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

luisgo thanks for the tip is that the same seller you bought the tube from ebay (from china?)

how is the fit since it's 3rd party ..
Old 12/21/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

The ebay link is to the tubes I purchased. He is from China and it took about two weeks to arrive. The tubes fit perfectly since they are for Nikon but again there is no auto focus or mettering.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

hey i got the same extension tubes as you....i cant seem to get it right.....i have the 70-300 lens and the stock lens. how many tubes do u use....and what shutter speed are u using?

Last edited by warr40; 01/03/2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

For these photos I used tube #3 and the shooter speed was around 1 second. Speed will depend on the amount of light of the subject. I used a tripod on all photos.

Recently I purchased a set of close up filters from Tiffen but I don't like the quality when compared to the extention tubes.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Nice... I have a D40x too. I will try out this extension tube since it's so cheap ..
Old 01/06/2008, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

May I ask you what kind of spiky algae is that in the second last picture. I have a couple strain of that but not sure what that is.
Is that the green algae shown in your FTS?
Old 01/06/2008, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Nice shots, I wouldn't worry about getting the 105mm AFS Macro lens, no need to buy the autofucus as you shoot in manual. I made the mistake of buying this lens, granted it's an incredible lens but a waste of money as the AF is not needed. If you don't have the remote, try using the timer button, it actually helps to reduce visual noise
Old 01/06/2008, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Helimeda is the main algae in my tank. It is a great filter helping maintain nitrates in zero.

Algae in the second last picture is Caulerpa serrulata. The common name is Razor/Saw-tooth Caulerpa. The good thing with this algae is that grows slow and its easy to control. Here is a photo of the algae in my tank.

By luisgon

Last edited by luisgo; 01/06/2008 at 12:45 PM.