Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

good deal.
Old 10/19/2007, 04:34 AM
Registered Member

slovan, overbuilt?! he he that's what I love about this build...it's literally a "tank."

nothing like those 3/4" polished edges..
Old 10/21/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Wow looks great. Can you tell me where you can by starboard?
Old 10/21/2007, 01:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneClownFish
slovan, overbuilt?! he he that's what I love about this build...it's literally a "tank."

nothing like those 3/4" polished edges..
It is built like a tank but 1/4" acrylic would've done the job.
Old 10/21/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

I remember seeing this tank as it was being built by ASD. I believe scott had 3/4" acrylic left over and was abuilt to build this tank cheaper by using leftover material.

I have a 24" x 24" x 16" acrylic rimless cube built by ASD that is 3/4" material. He does some amazing work.

40g Cube by ASD, ASD Calc Reactor, Maristar Hood with 250w 14k Phoenix and (2) UVL Super Actinic T5's

SPS Dominated
Old 10/21/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

James, I remember seeing your tank build thread, really enjoyed it, haven't seen new pics in a while though
Old 10/21/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Yes James, not to hijack uhuru's wonderful thread, but I completely agree...more pics plz!

Scott is finishing up my tank as we speak...can't wait!

Any updates on your tank uhuru? How's the 70 coming along?
Old 10/21/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I've been thinking of running zeovit on both tanks, this tank first using a small fluidized media reactor to hold the rocks. Even an HOB Aquaclear would work if I could somehow slow the flow down to 20-30 gph. I also added some live rock to the sump. I think it caused a little cycle because some of the cyano came back. I just think there is a major bacterial imbalance going on with this tank. Maybe I should try dosing Prodibio? Vodka?
Old 10/21/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Do you think the problem is inherent to trying to keep a nutrient rich enough environment for the sps while at the same time avoiding filter media of any kind...including excesses of LR that might otherwise trap detritus and lead to potential nitrate spikes?
Old 10/21/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I just think even if you have minimal live rock and tons of flow it could work against you. You could actually have the detritus circulating in the water column so much that it still breaks down in there and clogs up all the LR before you have a chance to siphon or skim it out. At that point you are in for a cyano or algae outbreak because you don't have enough biological filtration to handle it. Well even in a traditional tank this would happen just that it would take longer because more rock + the sand bed acts as a great buffer. For me it seemed like the cyano took over as the biological filter for the tank. I have reduced the flow and I don't point anything directly at the bottom. I let the detritus settle there rather than on the rocks so I can siphon it out easily. I guess it just takes experience for me to realize these things Along with that though I'm still concerned about not having enough biological filtration. I want to get back to feeding heavy and bringing the colors back on my corals without causing another cyano bloom!
Old 10/21/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

dp
Old 10/21/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

What's your specific gravity?
Old 10/21/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

1.026 why is there a correlation?
Old 10/21/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I am a firm believer that certain types of nuissance algae become more prolific when you get further away from nsw, and more specifically, the lower you specific gravity is. At 1.026, this shouldn't be a factor at all.

I had actually suspected you were running lower.

How large is your sump? My second idea is to somehow increase your total water volume.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Sump is 10g only about 6g full. A bigger one is definitely something I've been considering. I've also thought about an RDSB to get some denitrification going on that way. We'll see
Old 10/21/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

I liked your setup from the get go, but the one thing I wasn't comfy with was the lil sump.

I'm doing a 16g with a 40g sump..

The dwell time and turnover should be perfect for the big Euroreef. I'm not concerned at all about siphoning detritus...I'm going to point a Koralia at the bottom and let any small amounts swirl. The massive sump and turnover should take care of any issues that might arise from 'stuff' in the water column while still providing 'stuff' for the sps. Regular water changes are a must.
Old 10/22/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

The problem for me was I was so thrilled that nothing settled on the bottom I didn't realize half of it was eventually finding it's way into the rocks. You are right with a 40g sump even if some of the detritus breaks down in your tank it will be so diluted in relation to the water volume it will not be a big deal. In all honesty if I would've just taken a turkey baster to the rocks every day it would not be a big deal either. That's what I do now. I think even in your case I would blow off the rocks daily. It feeds the corals anyways.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Consider that it might not be the problem of the detritus settling on or in the rocks. You could blow it off but that just puts the junk back in the water column. I think small amounts of that type of biological filtration, the LR, are very important and neccesary for what you are trying to achieve.

I would also consider the possibility that you may have gone a touch to high/fast with your bioload and your feedings. I understand your mindset with indirect and natural feeding of your sps, however I'm starting to think that this can be achieved with a much more subtle bioload.

Or, look at it this way, if you had the bioload with a larger sump it might not have been an issue.

All things being equal- and it sounding like you have a firm grasp on all your other parameters, I would say you have two options.
1. Lower the load
2. Increase the water volume
Old 12/22/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

just posting an updated shot of my tank -

don't remember if I mentioned this here but it turns out I had a dinoflagellate problem NOT cyano. It was a major PITA to truly eradicate this stuff, finally I started using the zeovit system and within 7 weeks it was gone and never came back. They have a product called Pohl's Coral Snow that is just amazing. Supposed to work for cyano as well. I also switched from Reef Crystals to Seachem Reef Salt.

My corals are all pretty pale but they are showing excellent growth (and PE) and I'm going to start feeding them more again soon to get the colors back.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:16 PM
g l a s s b o x

looking good. how are you liking zeo? i'll be trying out FM's version of coral snow in a couple weeks. i've only heard good things about the CS and hope the FM works as well.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 12/22/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

So far I'm very impressed. It was awesome to watch the progression. First I started having new algae appear from the rocks, from nutrients being flushed out. About a week after the first zeolite exchange is when the tank started becoming low nutrient. The algae (including dinos) started to disappear - yes even bubble algae started dying off! I was a little worried that my snails would now start to starve but they actually seem to eat the bacterial film that grows on the panels. I kept my fingers crossed and the tank only seems to be getting better. The thing is I don't feed a lot anymore, and with only the basic 4 you can get really washed out colors. That is my problem right now. I'm hoping as the zeo system becomes more established and I start introducing new supplements (just started dosing Elos AA's and have sponge power on order) the colors will return. The funny thing is the corals are encrusting like mad so I don't know if they are truly starving or what?

If the FM product is like CS you will love it. It should clean up the water and really kick up your skimmer production too.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Well lets hope 2008 is a better year for my corals! Heres what some of them look like now, hopefully by 2009 they will have outgrown my nano tank. (Some of the colors are off I was experimenting with different light settings on my point and shoot.)

Lets hope this guy turns purple for me again.

Lets hope this birdsnest grows back all the branches it lost from dinos
Old 01/01/2008, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

wwhat type of fish are those
Old 01/01/2008, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

thats a long nose hawkfish, they have great personalities and are probably my favorite type of fish. I also have 2 flame hawkfish in QT that will be going in a different tank