Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Your local choices for live rock?

Who do you guys buy your live rock from? I guess I'd prefer to not have to spend several hundred $$$ for shipping. I contacted LiveAquaria/DFS and they must ship their rock from CA because they said you can't do in-store pickups on rock in Rhinelander - and they charge $1.39/# for shipping.

Although... I guess even if I buy it in a store I'm still gonna be paying for shipping indirectly... but at least this way I'd get to point and choose what I get.

Edit...ok, I did the math and even with shipping I'm just at about $3.89/#. So I guess that's not so bad...

Last edited by MrSquid; 12/16/2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

i get all my rock from aquatic world in oconomowoc. Mikes got pretty good stuff, a little pricy(unless your just buying a tank). but thats were i get mine and ive never been dissapointed.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Squid, remember what rock used to look like back when you were in this before? forget those expectations. the stuff is crap now. i've tried 2 kinds from LA and both were a total waste.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Siropa - what have you tried from LA? I was looking at a mix of their Fiji grades and some Tonga shelf.

Other recommendations? Online or local? Or even semi-local? I'd drive as far as Milwaukee or Madison to get it - and probably even Chicago if the quality and price was there...
Old 12/16/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Bryan and I just got some dried base rock rubble with many sooftball sized piueces and larger from MarcoRocks. Great stuff for base rock but its not live rock. Have you tried some of the aquacultured stuff from Tampa Bay Saltwater? I used to have good luck with them. the local stuff is more base rock than it is true live rock in my opinion (and very pricey).
Old 12/16/2007, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone tried it from Sealife Inc? That stuff looks good.

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index....cdc71f91169c65
Old 12/16/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

I just got some from reefermadness, its the Ultra Fiji, nice stuff
Old 12/17/2007, 12:33 AM
hookt on fonix

www.marinedepotlive.com , $159.99 per 44 pound box shipped 2nd day.
I have bought from them 3 times now and have been happy with it.

Heres what the last box I got from them looked like:

Last edited by Limpit; 12/17/2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

The people in my local forum were saying that the stuff from Tampa Bay Saltwater is nice with a lot of organisms on it, but it also has a lot of mantis shrimp, aptasia, and one more common pest that I can't remember.

I was going to say MarineDepot as well. I've had two small orders from them in the last year and it's been decent quality for the price.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Premium Aquatics has some nice stuff as does Marco Rocks. Marco sells awsome dead rock (they also sell live). The texture and shapes are unbeatable.

Lisa
Old 12/17/2007, 04:12 PM
hookt on fonix

When I went to pick up that 125 last Friday at Aquatic World I stopped and looked at the LR he had there.
$6.99 a pound plus tax and the shapes were just your basic sort of round rocks.

I guess what it al boils down to is if you want to see what you are getting you are going to pay almost twice as much for the rock.
I hate to say it but I go to all the stores down around Milwaukee and I have NEVER seen any rock with more life or coraline growth than what I have received by getting it online. Most times the rock in the stores looks worse than what I have bought online.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

ditto what limpit said about mil. I did a shop tour down there shortly before ordering my rock from LA. all of it was wet baserock in my opinion.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sunfish11
Premium Aquatics has some nice stuff as does Marco Rocks. Marco sells awsome dead rock (they also sell live). The texture and shapes are unbeatable.

Lisa
Wow - Premium Aquatics has some really good pricing for cured rock. Only 50 cents/pound extra over uncured. Have you personally ordered rock from them?

And yes - I know that "cured" rock still needs to be cured. But if I bring in uncured rock and it stinks up the house while it's curing, my wife will kill me. And then all this work will have been for nothing.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

If you go to Dr. F&S in Rhinelander, you CAN pick up the aquacultured rock. The aquacultured is shipped out of their Rhinelander location so that can save some serious shipping. here's the link to that rock:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2565

WHen it goes on sale, it is about $5/lb

I have also ordered caribbean LR from etropicals.com, requested show pieces and got really nice stuff! It was about $4/lb shipped.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

he said local thats why i suggested aquatic world couse they have the best stuff around the milwakee area. if i woulda known he wanted online too i would have said tampa bay or dfs
Old 12/17/2007, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid
Wow - Premium Aquatics has some really good pricing for cured rock. Only 50 cents/pound extra over uncured. Have you personally ordered rock from them?

And yes - I know that "cured" rock still needs to be cured. But if I bring in uncured rock and it stinks up the house while it's curing, my wife will kill me. And then all this work will have been for nothing.
Yes, I have ordered rock from them before. I ordered cured and I still had to cure it a little bit before I added it to my established tank. It was nice stuff though and even had some coral (encrusting montipora) on it that would have lived if not stung to death by other corals. Price is good and shipping is not bad at all. I would recommend ordering online vs. buying locally. Prices are just to high and the quality isn't there.

It didn't stink either...

Lisa
Old 12/18/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevelkaneval
he said local thats why i suggested aquatic world couse they have the best stuff around the milwakee area. if i woulda known he wanted online too i would have said tampa bay or dfs
Yeah I was thinking local when I started this thread. But you all convinced me. Right now I'm leaning towards Premium Aquatics.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I just got in about 100lbs of Marco Rock and its great looking rock, cheep to
Old 12/18/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hella
I just got in about 100lbs of Marco Rock and its great looking rock, cheep to
Live? Dry?

Pics?
Old 12/19/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Dry, ill get some taken afer I get home from work and post them for you to see.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

I also see that your interests are in home theater, me likey the home theaters
Old 12/20/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

I'd love to see some pics of the Marco rock too....I'm on the brink of buying some!