Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Talking New 8G BioCube

I got an amazing deal on this bad boy. $99.99 for an 8 gallon BioCube w/ $25 mail-in rebate! I stopped "reefing" because I had to move to college and thought the expense of taking care of a reef tank would be too much while Im in college but I just couldn't pass up on this crazy deal

Anyways, I plan on modding this tank with all the useful mods before I start running it. So far my plans are:

1. Widen the baffle between intake chamber (chamber 1) and filter chamber (chamber 2)
2. Turn the 2nd chamber into a fuge
- Replace the bioball w/ LR rubbles
- Put some chaeto on top of the LR
- Scrape the back paint of the 2nd chamber and put a small light fixture back there for the chaeto
3. Replace the stock pump w/ a better pump. Is a maxijet900 ok for an 8G BioCube?
4. 50W Titanium heater, filter media (carbon, phosban, chemipure) to be placed in 1st chamber

That's all I have right now.

How am i looking? Any more suggestion?

I really want to get all the mods done before I get it wet because I've heard its a pain to mod after water is in.

Thanks!
Old 01/06/2008, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

congrats that is a great deal. I would definitely do the mods before hand, i wish i did but i jumped headfirst into this hobby and started cycling my tank before i saw everything i wanted to do to it. It looks like you are off to a great start
Old 01/06/2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Check out the deal in my thread I think its nano sale season or something http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1287440

anyway I think thats a great idea I might turn either A) Turn a chamber into a refuge or B) Put a piece of eggcrate in a corner and have cheato in there. Not sure though
Old 01/07/2008, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

I have a question. How did you guys widen the baffle gap between chamber 1 and 2? I tried a razor and it didn't work out so well XD
Old 01/07/2008, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

looks like you're off to a good start. i would use a dremel to widen the baffle. one thing i would do different is the scraping of the back. i prefer the submersible light over having an outside light shining in. i picked up these two 5w LED lights for a pretty decent price. they work awesome under water and they don't heat up your tank.

here's the link: http://www.mainlandmart.com/aquapump.html

do a search for FL02 and you'll see them about half way down the page.

good luck and post some pics of your set up =]
Old 01/07/2008, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Nice! Thanks for the info on those submergible light. I'm going to look more into that.

I have been taking a few pictures too. I'll upload them tonight after a few mods

I'm also doing the ATO from Melev's page because I leave town for the weekends pretty often. Any tips or precautions?