Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp

Old 06/17/2004, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

That helped a lot.

One more question; What sized tank and filtration methods are you using to house the mighty Tim?
Over 200 lbs of Fiji Live Rock
PM Ca Reactor
Custom dual Sedra 5000 Recirc Skimmer
Old 06/23/2004, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

ive got to say thanks DM
ive been reading Tim's thread here since i signed up to RC. i cant just go to the end and get an update either. i have to read every post every time i visit. this is a GREAT thread and it helps me through my work day every time a new post comes up.

LT
Old 06/23/2004, 03:44 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Tim and I experienced our first 'hitch' with the new filter.

Sunday night as I was taking dictation for a message from him over chat to one of his fans, the filter said "ka-CHUNK!"

Flow stopped. The motor hummed. And all I could think of was that that damned Nemo had gotten into the filter again to cast a stone into the impeller. Tim thinks Nemo looks tasty...

Anyway.

Tim stopped dictating long enough to demand I fix it and got distracted and a little miffed when I said "Huh? Fix it how?"

I was initially frustrated by the design because from the top it appears to be an enclosed impeller without access. Tim started blabbing about checking the instructions before I started eyeing the tank-draining-hose. He went into hiding while I continued grumbling about throwing away the instructions.

It turns out the whole motor/impeller assembly comes off the bottom of the filter with a simple counter-clockwise twist (over a sink unless you enjoy wet floor). Cleaned the impeller the impeller well and then changed the carbon and added another sponge just for fun (and to reduce flow/noise as well).

All said and done it took me about 14 hours to fix it (I had to go to the store to buy a new filter before I learned the impeller/motor assembly was removable).

Tim has learned to appreciate greater flow again... after catching his breath...

(No, Nemo isn't really in the tank.)

((Thanks again from Tim and I for all the kind words and PM's - makes typing these in worth it for certain))

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 06/23/2004, 03:52 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Quote:
Originally posted by APynckel
One more question; What sized tank and filtration methods are you using to house the mighty Tim?
10g perfecto
Aquaclear Mini (now called the Aquaclear 20 or 200)
- sponge
- carbon
- sponge (for switching out to clean and rotate with the first)
Aquaclear Surface Skimmer attachment
Live Rubble
2" stocked sandbed
Macro-algae (caleurpa sp.)
Halimeda sp.

He gets a couple gallons changed about once a month and macros are trimmed as needed.

That's it.

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 06/23/2004, 04:01 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Tim-referrence link

Tim responds to naming honor: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=391698

He's still beaming with ego... er... pride.
Old 06/23/2004, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Should have come on here about that aquaclear. I love those things. They're so dang wasy to clean and fix (sice the impeller assemple is removealebl w/o having to TOUCH anything else). Glad all is back to normal. Is it just me, or has Tim seemed more cranky lately?

Eric T. Danielson
Old 06/23/2004, 10:01 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

More demanding for certain...

He's still not happy with the cleanliness of his tank.

Old 07/10/2004, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

bump...or should i say tick?

more tim!
more tim!
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
Old 07/11/2004, 12:13 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

"I desperately want to know what Strongbad eats... he's digging in the sand looking hungry... I think he might just be a touch stupid..." DensityMan thought aloud.

"I drop shrimp pellets at him and he walks past them... pods crawl on his shell... he's gotta be getting the energy to haul that rock around from somewhere... I just want to know where," stated to an interested friend.

So that's what I was doing, just wondering things out loud to a friend in chat when BAM!...

Tim scared the $#!+ out of me!!!

He's up WAY past his bedtime and while I was staring at Strongbad he popped out of a hole I've never seen him use before, directly above SB. He grabbed a cracked apart nassarius shell (an 1/8 of an inch away from a perfectly good shrimp pellet) and ducked back down the hole. Its just testament to how 'big' he's gotten lately (relatively speaking of course - in the past month he's eaten approximately 2 dozen small blue-legs and at least 2 cerith snails).

So I figure he's decorating a new lair and needed the half-shell for a wall.

It does tick me off a little that he'll come out like that when he knows I don't have the camera ready. So I get the camera and wait to take a truly stunning picture and as soon as I get the camera ready, he pulls a Brando...

NOW I understand why Tim is still up...

While I'm staring at this 'new' home I notice him back at the old digs. He'd made his old apartment large enough to house him again, but in doing so his old 'door' is too small... So he's rummaging around the tank looking for a new door, big enough to close the entrance, but small enough to take inside...

This is freaking hilarious... I only wish I could catch this on film... but all he's doing is rotating pieces of shells and rubble in his door

Meanwhile the emerald crab is laughing at Tim (a mere 3 inches away).

Since I can't capture a decent shot of Tim to save your reading experience I'll post links to a few shots I was able to take clearly. Here are some images of the coolest bug on the planet...

the Preying Mantis!

1.) on leaf - http://www.densityman.com/images/sho...04/on_leaf.jpg
2.) crawling up - http://www.densityman.com/images/sho...rawling_up.jpg
3.) a little perspective - http://www.densityman.com/images/sho...erspective.jpg
4.) so small - http://www.densityman.com/images/sho...4/so_small.jpg

Found it on the windshield as I was running errands today... it's no longer than a half-inch... pulled over and contained it. Then released it into the garden for pest control!

We had a 7inch mantis make it into the house last summer... cats were having canniption-fits trying to 'hunt' it while I was trying to save it.

Anyway... Tim's ticked off (because he still can't find a door or because I'm talking about something besides him), gotta go...

Old 07/11/2004, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

lol!

Speaking of emerald crabs, I'm thinking of putting one in the tank with my baby Wennerae. How do they get along, so to speak ; )
Old 07/11/2004, 09:30 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Tim has only twice attacked (non-hermit) crabs and both times they were significantly smaller (and only once did he not look like a complete pansy). The emerald looks to out-mass Tim by a factor of at least 1.5... I think he's safe... for now...

*Non-Legal non-Disclaimer - all referrences made within this post are of course made in referrence only in regards to the reef-keepers experience with a G. smithii stomatopod named Tim...

Old 07/11/2004, 03:08 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

I may be too hard on Tim... What if he's not a sissy? What if the cosmos is plotting against him and everything in his tank is just way tougher than it's supposed to be.

Take the aiptasia for instance (please... *rimshot*).

Last night I did my monthly (futile) excersize of eliminating the little pest anemones from the main reef and Tim's tank. In the main tank the annoying glass anemones have the common decency to play dead for a couple weeks. Quite the contrary in Tim's tank. Sure some of the anemones look a little rough around the edges. Some of them are missing tentacles. Some of them are shriveled. ALL of them are still alive and giving me the bird.

Even I'm a little intimidated...

I wonder what Tim thinks...

Old 07/11/2004, 03:12 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

After presenting me with several opportunities to photograph him today, Tim has finally approved a 'headshot' for his, as he puts it, "adoring meatbags" (I think he means 'fans' though... I can't be certain).

Old 07/11/2004, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

That is such a cute picture with the starfish!!! I really love this thread. BTW, amazing tank.
Old 07/11/2004, 11:51 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

The many moods of Tim:

Intrigued

Annoyed

The two moods of Tim...

Apparently for my amusement only, Tim has forgotten the trials and tribulations of closing the door to his newly renovated home... again...

So I enjoyed another day of "Why the hell doesn't this door FIT?!?" He has two different shells he kept trying them individually... He just didn't try using both of them (like he figured out yesterday)...

Honest-to-all-I-hold-holy, he played the game for 10+ minutes before giving up entirely and sleeping (presumably... probably fitfully) with the door wide-open.

I hope he forgets again tomorro night too...

Old 07/12/2004, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

so it's normal for the stomatopod to just go into a rock and seal themselves in?
PM Ca Reactor
Old 07/12/2004, 12:31 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Tim does that (er... did that, when he was able to figure it out) every evening before bed. He also seals himself up in the apartment for molting... I've never seen a molt of his... I just recognized his absence from the tank and mentally mark time until he comes back out.

Old 07/12/2004, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

well Tom has been in hiding since i got him and i have to open his door for him to check up and make sure he's still alive.
PM Ca Reactor
Old 07/12/2004, 10:32 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Tim makes it pretty clear to me that he would prefer not to be disturbed when the door is shut. But I've already said that in your other thread. It can be dangerous to your mantis unless you know exactly where the door stops and the mantis starts. It can also add stress to an already stressful time.

Posted this elsewhere and thought I'd bring it over here for anyone wondering about the "Do's and Don'ts" of feeding Tim:

Do's
- Nassarius sp. snails (gobbles these up)
- Cerith sp. snails
- saltwater 'Ghost"/feeder shrimps (never seen him take one down, but they aren't found at all after a couple days)
- shrimp pellets
- frozen mysis (through a straw)
- enriched brine (through a straw)

Don'ts
- Whelks (thought this would be a cheap source of food, but he tried one and let the others survive - then I was feeding Tim AND the whelks...)
- blue-legs (at least not for food... for clean-up and the occasional rumble)
- Scarlet hermits (see blue-legs above)
- ninja crustaceans...

Tim wanted me to thank again those of you who continue to enjoy his chronicles and root him on against the forces of (tiny, non-violent) evil...

*grin*

Old 07/12/2004, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

These stories are the best on the entire site. So Tim is down to one eye for good then? No regeneration.
Maybe his one eye is keeping him from attacking the emerald crab, because what if he lost his other eye? Strongbad must be mocking the one eyed hero, Come on Tim. We are all cheering for you.
Old 07/12/2004, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

LOL.

It's hilarious to think of Tim as being annoyed. LOLOL.
Old 07/12/2004, 11:46 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

According to Dr. Roy, the eyes do not regenerate. He also said that it is likely he would grow another attenae to replace the lost eye. Both of the expression pics above show his 'new' antennae fairly well.

He seems more cautious since losing half his viable eyes, but otherwise appears to be well-adjusted and 'happy.'

Old 07/12/2004, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

My wennerae ate'd the hitchhiking emerald crab ... but she waited until it tried to molt then took her opportunity. I saw him molting, I saw her run up and whack him, then she ate half his face off and left his carcass there.
Old 07/12/2004, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

TIM'S STARDOM IS OFFICIAL!!!

the most popular stomatapod this side of low tide has been honored by hollywood...

The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
Old 07/12/2004, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

thats funny

LT