Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2005, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

As far as hardiness goes...It's always a bit of a toss up. I've had fish supposedly hardly drop dead in a couple days and vice versa. In the anthias group (my experience) would go Hutchi, squamipinnis (lyretails) and bartletts being some of the hardiest. Moderate (but not difficult) being bicolors, bimaculatus and caraberri. Only ones that I have tried with poor luck are the Tuka (purple queens) and sunburst or fatheads. Tuka's IMO should be left in the wild. I've not heard of anyone keeping these for any length of time. Sunbursts probably can be kept but they must be in with other fish that are shy. I tried a few, but with the other anthias sp I have they retreated right away and I never saw them again. I think the key to any of these species is that you need to give them some space and to keep a number of them so they not only feel safe in numbers, but also feed them at least a couple times a day with varied foods. These fish are very active and have high metabolisms so they need multiple feedings. All this of course from my personal exerience.
Old 08/26/2005, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Without knowing a lot about Other Anthias, I'd say these guys are extremely hardy and on the Hardness scale, I'd say pretty low.
Now I dont know long term if I am meeting their Feeding Requirments. I'm feeding my tank probably twice as much as I used to before adding Two Bimacs. Two feeding per day of Flake Food, Bimacs Love It. One feeding per day of a Frozen Meaty Food, although I do miss a day on this every few days. They love the frozen Brine, I'm going to get something new for them today.
I'm looking to make my own frozen food. I know there is a good link to someone describing exactly how to do this. Anyone know it.
Thanks, Hef
Copps, I'm trying to get a good photo of both my Male & Female together. Maybe today.
Old 08/26/2005, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

IME, i have found this fish to require a better water quality than lyretails, i put some in the tank at my office which is an LPS tank and they didn't do too well as the nutrients are a lot higher, they seem to thrive in higher flowing tanks with great skimming.
Old 08/26/2005, 01:12 PM
angelfish nut!

I too would agree... if you are experienced and have excellent water quality these guys are up there with the lyretails... I've been so pleasently surprised with these fish...

Again my male feeds more like a grouper than an anthias... here is one of the pictures I shared pages back (flash under only actinics), but notice the male bimac attacking the turkey baster with some fierce clientele, including the one I call "Kobiyashi"... my tomini tang that eats like the Nathan's Famous Hot dog champ... They go from that skiddish to that bold... they're really a great fish and well worth the expense...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/26/2005, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

I totally agree Copps. My "once shy" anthias are becoming really bold. The other day, I was trying to feed my acans with a turkey baster. When the bimacs saw this, they immediately came out and started taking food from the baster. I couldn't scare them off! Damn fish were becoming a pest!
Old 08/26/2005, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Just placed my new bimac male in the tank!! Really won't know for a couple days (I'm guessing ) to see how he fits in, but I'm guessing he'll be an awesome addition! Once again I must say it "cool fish"
Old 08/26/2005, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

as copps said these guys have a big appetite.
Old 09/07/2005, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

I'm concerned about my Male Bimac. He looks healthy, but does not look happy. He eats good, flake and meaty foods. He doesnt seem like he's adjusting very well to Tank Life.
Looks like he has a sore on his lip, probably from trying to bang his way through the glass. He does that a lot, tries to push through the glass. He's also very jumpy and nervous looking.
The big Angel Fish has stopped chasing him, for the most part anyway. A quick chase every now and then, but I think he's still scared of him.
The Female is fine.

Just thought I'd share this, might just take a while for him to adjust I guess.

Any thoughts on that?

Hef
Old 09/07/2005, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

is a 65gallon too small to keep these anthias? 36"Lx18"Wx24"H
Old 09/07/2005, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Hef Mine came in the same way. Remeber these guys come from deeeper depths so it might take some time. I've noticed mine stays hidden all the time except to eat. My male square block really hates him so I'm sure that's some of the problem. Funny thing, my Square block's coloration has really changed since I put the male in. The male Bimac has yet to really color up. I've waited six months to get this fish and wouldn't it stink if he never comes out due to the SB. Anyway, I'd hang tight and give it some time. Keep feeding numerous times per day...should be alright.
Old 09/08/2005, 06:21 AM
Registered Member.

i really like the bimac's i was thinking about fatheads. but i think i will school squami's and bimac's in my 300 and since i will be using T5's and not MH's the light issue should be ok plus im using cinder blocks as my base for my rocks so there will be a ton of hiding spaces and im going to cover the cinder with LR. should look nice im also contemplating siliconing some sand to the cinder also to make it look different. almost like the starboard faux sand bed except its rock.
Old 09/08/2005, 10:13 AM
One Millionth Poster

What is the behavior with anthias? Are they colorful chromis?
Old 09/08/2005, 10:37 AM
Registered Member.

from what i have seen they have more personality than chromis and their movements and actions are alot more fun to watch. and yes they school like them but i think that is the only similarity.
Old 09/15/2005, 05:42 AM
Premium Member

Hi all,

I picked up a male and 4 females from Liveaquaria this weekend and wanted to share. They all came in very healthy looking and in great condition - packaging was well done.

By that evening the male was venturing out and the females were all together in the same cave. As far as I can tell they ate frozen vitamin soak mysis from that day. Now they all are out in the open even when the halides are on and eat well. I see them hitting flake food, but they spit it out, so I feed mysis 3 times a day until they get use to the dry stuff.

These guys are truely beautiful fish that look great as a school.

Here are some crappy pics:

Male:

Pair of girls:

Art
Old 09/15/2005, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

Art nice pics!

so you got 4 females and 1 male? you must have been the lucky ones to get a male, because when i looked they didnt have any in....

are these in the new tank? or old tank?

thanks!

Nick
Old 09/15/2005, 06:35 AM
Premium Member

4 Woman, He's a lucky fish. Tell us how that works out. I want to get more.
Was at my LFS last weekend, he has 3 sets of Bimacs. Male and Female. They all looked very healthy.
Old 09/15/2005, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Nick,

These are in the old tank. My original plan was to put them in the new one, but my wife overruled me and wanted them in hers. They look great in there as well.

It was tough getting them. Over the passed month I put in orderes for male/females 3 times and the first two orders weren't filled because they were out of stock (even though the site listed them as available). The third time was the charm.

Hef, thanks. I'm extremely happy with how healthy and happy they seem to be. This morning I mixed Omega One flake in with their frozen mysis while it was thawing and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I think I saw some of the bimacs keeping the flake in when they took it. Hopefully that's a good sign as I really need to ween these guys from frozen foods for every single meal...

Art
Old 09/15/2005, 12:06 PM
Registered Member.

i love the look of these guys they are awesome.

seems they sell out very quickly but seems to be well worth it good luck and post more pics guys
Old 09/15/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Haha i know how that goes Art!

really nice choice though! i guess you will have to get another set for your tank....

very nice though! hey what size tank is your wifes?

anyway very nice find...

shoot me a PM on the other board on how your new tank is doing with the reef ceramics (diatoms and all...) dont want to de-rail this current thread...

very nice though...

now a question open to anyone...

i am looking at anthias for my new 275 gallon tank (60" long x 44" wide x 24" tall) and these anthias are very nice looking, but how hard are they too keep?

this would be my first anthias speicies i was going to get a school of say 7-9 bartletts, but these guys caught my eye, maybe 3 females and 1 male?

what do you think?

thanks!

Nick
Old 09/15/2005, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Nick - the Bimacs are in a 215 gal mixed reef.

One thing I noticed today is that one of the females looks like it may be in the early stages of "the transformation". I wonder if she'll revert back to pure female now that there's a male hanging around. I haven't seen much squabbling between them... Anyone have any experience with this?

Art
Old 10/01/2005, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

any updates guys?

thanks

Nick
Old 10/02/2005, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Just got a quick question for those of you who puchased your Bimacs through Liveaquaria..

Did you quarantine them? Or just acclimate them and add them to your established tanks?

I always make a habit of quarantining, but I get the impression that getting them settled in an established environment might be better...and I've heard that Liveaquaria.com has great quality fish.

Any experiences you can share? I've got a trio of these guys coming in a couple days.

James
Old 10/02/2005, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Well, I don't like to admit to this but I've never been one for quarantining, but I feel it is a good idea. I do however use the drip method for about 3 hours before releasing the fish into the tank. I've gotten numerous shipments from Liveaquaria and everything has always come in good condition.
Old 10/02/2005, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the response Tom. I'm considering doing the same, I'm just not sure which is best. In a quarantine situation, I would definitely have more control over feeding, etc., but it may be better to get them in the full reef environment asap. Oh well, I've got a day or so to decide...
Thanks again,

James
Old 10/02/2005, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

i just added mine directly to the display tank, these require extreme water quality and this is better and easier done in your display tank although it is a risk, looking at the fish is one worth taking.