Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/14/2006, 05:20 PM
I done killed it

you guys are killing me with all these crazy fish. I now need to add to my collection. How would you guys rate these are far as difficulty. I have evansi now and they are doing great and eat a little from the water colum but been eating someting for the past 6 months for they are pretty fat. I also had a school of ventrallis and it took me months to get them to eat, too bad i lost them during a power outtage. Im pretty much looking for anthias that will eat anything i throw at them similar to lytail and barttlets. Im really disliking picky eaters. I wish i had the time to prepare them food but i leave my tank for days at a time and i know anthias need to eat regularly. Oh, for those who have these Bimaculatus, how many keep them with other anthias and basselts? Is there any agression towards each other?

Paul
Old 01/14/2006, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Thye are great fish, not as hard as all the info out there indicates IME, but they do require good water quality. Theywill however hide for an entire week before coming out to explore.
Old 01/14/2006, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Oh yeah, they are not aggressive towards other anthias and get along well with other fish they don't need to eat as regularly as a lot of books state, but they do need to be fed everyday IMO, they seem to require more meating foods too as they have bigger mouths
Old 01/14/2006, 07:11 PM
I done killed it

Meaty foods are easy! thanks Julio.
Old 01/14/2006, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

If you can keep Evansi and vetralis, you can easily keep Bimacs. Once they settle down, you'll be fine.

Julio...Have you jumped on that Deltec we were talking about the other day?
Old 01/14/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

I been talking to Doug, so i am gonna purchase it soon.
Old 01/15/2006, 03:34 AM
I done killed it

the only reason i was succesfull with botn evansi and ventralis is because i had plenty of time and riim to set up a seperate tank where i pretty much spoiled the water with food. I didnt have to worry about water quality cause i changed about 20% a week which kept my parameters in check. Nowadays i have zero time but to just add them to my tank and hope they pick up eating pellets. Given they rank along the lines of Lytail, Bimaculatus will be a hot item.
Old 01/15/2006, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update. I've had my trio for three months now, and that's not a long time, but they are doing great. Not a lot of aggression between them, just the normal squabbling.
I only feed once a day, and they seem to be fine with that regimen. They do love the meaty items - mysis, krill, homemade blend, etc. but they will also eat flakes.
I can't speak for other anthias, but I've had two "surprises" with mine...first is their size...they are pretty large. I definitely wouldn't recommend them for a smaller system. I was also surprised at how fast they acclimated to my tank, how well they eat the prepared foods, and how they are always out in the open.
Great fish!

James
Old 01/15/2006, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

Oh they definitly eat Flakes. I'm a lazy bum, Frozen meaty foods are a treat for my fish, maybe 3 or 4 times per week. Flakes everyday and the Anthias love them.
Old 03/15/2006, 03:05 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
I plan on it in the future, depending on what species he has in a while. I spoke to him a while back and he was working on C. joculator. Funds are fairly tight (no money for sure now for a $1200 pair of fish) as we have a 10 day old baby (our first!) and the new house for 9 months in the ridiculous real estate market here in the DC area. Right now my display with the bimacs is a 180, but the place its in was made for a ~ 600 gallon display tank that is not too far out. Behind the scenes I have another 300 gallons on this system, including a 6 foot frag tank that I also use to condition some of my fish. I also have a 2x54 double corner system that I'm finally getting going since the move, that will house two clownfish pairs (chrysogaster and my onyx percs), and some time in the future a pair of CB Centropyge TBD from Frank. Here are some more shots I took two nights ago under actinics only with flash... you could see the bimacs are now confortable tagging the turkey baster in the tussle with the other fish... Man do I love those interuptus though...

Off topic... anyone coming to MACNA here in DC in September?

Bimacs are back at liveaquaria here

Going on almost a year and I still have the original three I started with... these things are gorgeous! Like ventralis, but easier, larger, and more bold... again above my male is tagging the turkey baster... they're more like grouper!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 03/15/2006, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Yup,
they are one gorgeous fish.
Old 03/15/2006, 03:21 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks again for guinea-piggin' it Julio

You still have yours?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 03/15/2006, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

I lost mine during a pwer outage, but i got some others after that.
Old 03/17/2006, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

i just ordered two more females from liveaquaria. did anyone else get any?
Old 03/17/2006, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

I got some more females as well.
Old 03/18/2006, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

i got the fish this morning. I think one of them had a heart attack or something. it looked fine in the bag and in the bucket where i drip acclimated them, but as soon as she hit the water she went belly up and floated around the tank. i saw breathing so i just let her float for a while. the current took her back behind the rocks and i haven't seen her since. the other one looks fine.
Old 03/18/2006, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

What do you guys think of the Squarebacks?
Old 03/18/2006, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Hey Tom,
make sure you contact Live Aquaria about it.
Old 03/19/2006, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

I was also thinking of getting a male and a few females.
Old 03/23/2006, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Stunning fish guys,
I have 5 Bimacs in my 360g. The tank is lit by 4 x 400w MH, and it doesnt phase them a bit!

They happily feed on flake/pellets all day.

At the mo all females, but 1 is definetly starting to change, and i am pretty sure a second is also!
I have been concerned if this will this cause a problem? Or will the second stop changing when the first becomes a male?

Cheers
Mark
Old 03/23/2006, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Hey Tom,
soem of my fish came in dead as well. I don't know what is goign on over there in the way they are packing stuff, but the last 3 packages i got have been really badly packed and the bags have been leaking, this time 3 out of 4 bags exploded in the styro box and the fish were trapped in the bags and died. it really sucks.
Old 03/23/2006, 11:34 PM
moved here

Quote:
Originally posted by Julio
this time 3 out of 4 bags exploded in the styro box and the fish were trapped in the bags and died. it really sucks.
Typically happens when the bags are tied too tight. Some people like to tie them like ballons and when they pressurize at a couple thousand feet-- boom they explode.
If packed in multiple bags the outer ones should still hold the water.
Definetely sounds like they've got some inexperienced people packaging. Sorry to hear, that's horrible.
Old 03/24/2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

I just got one female from LFS at S california ,$20 with tax(also a small passer angel $33 with tax)~I think the price at wholesale is quite cheap,maybe these fish is poor shipper thats why charge more from mail ordered.
Old 03/24/2006, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

$20 nice steal.
Old 03/25/2006, 09:57 AM
B'rer Reefer

Just to let everyone know that due to this thread and its pictures, I have been busily assembling a small shoal of one male and 7 females and I plan for them to be my reeftanks' very last entrants...for awhile. Thanks for all the information shared. As Anthias tend to be touchy as a whole, at least I don't feel like I'm going into this completely blind. Periodic updates to come.

dingdong03: Yeah, I'd say 20 bucks was a steal. An LFS near me is selling them for 160.00 each! Not where I'm getting mine, btw.