Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2005, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

I added mine directly to the display tank and crossed my fingers. It's been a few weeks now with no problems.
Old 10/03/2005, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

James
Old 10/03/2005, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

I think you "should" be ok. With the shipments I've had from Liveaquaria, they have all come with healthy specimans.
Old 10/04/2005, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

I really appreciate the input from all of you. I've got Mysis (both PE and Hikari), cyclop-eeze (frozen and freeze-dried) and a good selection of flakes and pellets.
Can you think of anything else I should get to try to feed the new anthias? Just want to be prepared.
Man, I hope these guys do OK. I haven't had the best luck with fish lately, and I'm sure losing these would really upset my wife. It's exciting, though; I've always wanted to get a group of anthias.
Thanks again,

James
Old 10/04/2005, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Just be prepared for them to hide for a few days to a week. Try to feed them right away, mine actually ate some live mysis while in the bag acclimating. Once in the tank, feed them immediately, and hopefully they will eat. They will go into hiding pretty quickly, and you will start to worry about them starving after a couple days.
These are healthy fish, should do well. Mine eat everything.
Old 10/04/2005, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

That's great news...hopefully mine will eat pretty quickly...I've had terrible luck recently with fish that won't eat and slowly waste away...If I lose these fish I probably won't get ANY new fish for quite some time...I really feel badly whenever I'm unable to get a new animal to survive.
Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I'll keep in touch when I get the new guys today (hopefully).

James
Old 10/04/2005, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Well....

It's Official!!!

I've got to say that I've never seen a more beautiful fish in person. Awesome coloration. They looked great (at least while acclimating - I haven't seen them since I put them in the tank a few minutes ago). I did have one DOA...don't know why, b/c everything else in the order looks really good so far. My rabbitfish is ALREADY doing his job...I've seen him munching on two different types of hair algae already. I also picked up a six-line wrasse and a canary fang blenny; both also seem to be doing fine.
BTW, I originally ordered one male and two female bimacs...one of the females was the DOA.
Do you think I should order one or more females to replace her? Or I was thinking of possibly ordering maybe some lyretail females instead. What do you guys think?
Anyway, I've got 14 days before I decide...hopefully the rest of my order will make it OK.
I'll be sure to update you all on the progress...

James
Old 10/04/2005, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

And I forgot to mention...I called liveaquaria after about an hour of acclimation when it was apparent that the female wasn't going to come around. The customer service rep was very helpful. She said that they would either give me credit or in some cases re-ship a replacement fish. She said that she would make a note on my account that I called and that I should wait the full warranty period (14 days) before I decide what I'd like them to do, just in case I have any more problems.
So far a great experience, all things considered. I'll keep an update on this as well, as many people reading this thread may be thinking of ordering bimacs from liveaquaria soon.

James
Old 10/05/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Update...

The bimacs are out and feeding. Have eaten mysis shrimp as well as cyclop-eeze. Sampled some flakes but spit most of it out.
Beautiful, and seem really active and healthy so far. I couldn't be happier.
Thanks for everyone's advice!

James
Old 10/05/2005, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

glad it came out ok
Old 10/05/2005, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Just so anyone interested knows, males are currently available from LiveAquaria
Old 10/07/2005, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

My 2 females are still doing great. They stay out in the open all day long and eat flakes, mysid, and just about everything I give them.
Old 10/07/2005, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

I only have one male and one female at the moment. My second female unfortunately was a DOA...I should have a replacement in about a week. I'm really glad I made the decision to get these fish...they are truly striking.
All I need now is a pair of those resplendent angels

James
Old 10/07/2005, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Hi all,

Received two females on Tuesday. Upon entry into the tank they immediatley swam/sunk to the bottom and wedge themselves under two rocks.....normally a very bad sign in my experiences with fish. Anyway, the next day they were both swimming around and now are out quite a bit and eating mysids. One female is almost twice the size of the other...the smaller one has adapted quicker to the light and conditions. I have two additional females and one male arriving tomorrow. They are gorgeous fish. Has anyone experienced any fading in the coloration of these fish over time due to the halide lights?
Old 10/07/2005, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

There has been no fading whatsoever with my fish. I have them under 2x250 14k hqi and they look extremely vibrant. My fish also acted the same way yours did upon introduction, and I was a bit scared myself.
Old 10/08/2005, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

OK guys,

I've got another quick question...I originally ordered two females and a male, and one of my females didn't make it...Do you think the single female will fare OK with my male? Or is it imperative to have multiple females? The male definitely shows the female who's boss...but doesn't seem to be harming the female at all so far. Do you think this aggression will increase with the single female being the only "target"?
I'm not trying to be cheap...I'd happily buy more females if needed, but they seem to be out of stock for now...should I use my credit for something else - other anthias females? - or definitely try to wait to get some bimac females?
Just curious to get your experiences/opinions.
Thanks again.

James
Old 10/09/2005, 01:31 AM
Registered Member

You need to have more femals, otherwise the male will bother her to much. For an Anthias only a male which eggs who wants to spawn is a "good" fish - the rest is just food competition. And keep in mind they we hardly can give them the constant food supply like the have in the sea - so competition becomes often quickly an issue.

Persoally I dont like how many people keep Anthias.; mixing many different species in one tank. I prefer to have a big group of one kind or of related species. Like bimaculatus and pleurotaenia. Unfortunately I consider them as to big for my 320g so I stick to much smaller species.

Peter
Old 10/09/2005, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Peter. Exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone else have any experiences of small groups showing dangerous aggression? What is a good number of females to shoot for? My pair really seems to be getting along OK for now, but I know that could change.

James
Old 10/11/2005, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Just took this Pic last night.
Old 10/11/2005, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Hef- how many do you have?

thanks

Nick
Old 10/11/2005, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

I've got one male & one female.
Old 01/14/2006, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Looking very nice Hef!!!!
Old 01/14/2006, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Nice Male Hef.
Old 01/14/2006, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Keith I think the main thing you would notice is that the Bimacs are probably bigger than all of your other Anthias. I cant comment on their aggressiveness towards other Anthias, as I dont have any, but they are very easy going in my tank, with an Angel, Yellow Tang, Blue Chromis, Clown, and Wrasse.
Old 01/14/2006, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I would definitely add a couple of more females though.