Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 12:45 AM
underfunded reefer

Why am I not getting coralline?

I have had my tank set up since mid april. Small 20h. I didn't start doing water changes or adding any supplements until about a month or so ago. So yeah, i know i didn't kick it off well.

I have been adding TLF c-balance for about 2 weeks?

No, i don' t have a calcium test kit. I know I need to get one, especially if i'm considering adding a little kalk to get it started. The rest of the info on my tank is below my sig line.

Other than calcium levels, are there any other possibilities for why i have NO coralline? ok, well, there are a few small green patches...but obviously i want purple...

Thanks!

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 11/24/2007, 01:12 AM
~~ P.P.P.P.P.P.P ~~

Re: Why am I not getting coralline?

Quote:
Originally posted by puckbs
No, i don' t have a calcium test kit. I know I need to get one
Calcium and Magnesium need to be tested and dosed accordingly, I've also observed that circulation plays a big part as well. Your lighting should be producing more coralline by now, it sounds like your chemistry is out of whack. I'd buy the tests, some lime and a box of Epsom salt, this will bring your water chemistry up to snuff - the next post you make will be about scraping the coralline of your glass . TinMan
Old 11/24/2007, 06:57 AM
RC Staff
American

High PO4 will slow/prevent coralline growth. May as well pick up a decent kit for that, too.
You can save a few bucks if you're a current LIRA member by bringing a water sample to a meeting, Joe will give you an accurate account of where you're at with Phosphate.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 11/24/2007, 09:32 AM
10 & Over Club

Also that 150 watt MH might be a bit too much for the coraline. It tends to grow well in somewhat low lighting. Are you getting any growing in shaded areas?

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/24/2007, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Oh heck, I've got lots of light, (so I'm not convinced about light intensity )but never had corraline until I started pulling out PO4 and now I'm scraping every week or so!
Old 11/24/2007, 10:14 AM
underfunded reefer

i honestly don't see it anywhere! i threw some phosban in a few weeks back, maybe its time for more.

alright, here's my approach for now:
1) keep adding Ca
2) PO4 removal
3)get test kits...lol..an oh yeah, an RO unit...lmao

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 11/24/2007, 10:19 AM
RC Staff
American

It won't magically appear, Brad. Your tank could be perfect for supporting coralline, but without spores, it'll never grow. Have you ever put a rock or anything with coralline on it in the tank?

Old 11/24/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

How did you "throw" the Phosban in? I had it in a bag in the sump, but it clumped up that way. I then bought a Phosban Reactor and put it in there and it has worked a lot better that way.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:20 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Just like everyone said.

Remove the PO4
Get your Calcium/alk/mag up
Seed the tank and the rest should happen by itself, slowly.
Usually around the intense part of the light. It usually will not grow fast under high light areas.

Be careful what you wish for, it wreaks havoc on impellers and other moving parts.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

yeah i have too much, it's everywhere. you can come take some of mine if you want.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Brad

I think you are trying too hard. I have a 15 gallon setup running with an eclispe filter, No skimmer, no additives, water change once in 5 months and I have to scrape the glass ever couple of weeks because it grows like crazy. Corals are thriving and I do my top-off from the tap. Go figure, I have 130w PC over the tank.
I don't know what advice is best but I definately think it is not crazy about the halide light IMO.

Andy
Old 11/24/2007, 11:26 PM
underfunded reefer

Thanks for all the help guys.
Its not really that i want coralline, its moreso that i want to know i have the conditions for it. Test kits would probably let me know just as well huh?

basically there are things i need to do....get an ro unit and some test kits...i'm so cheap

i have the phosban in a turbulent part of my sump in a bag...i have a reactor, just absolutely no room....i figured something was better than nothing.

Anybody know the deal with Kalk supposedly helping to precipate out phosphate?

Old 11/25/2007, 08:10 AM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by puckbs

Anybody know the deal with Kalk supposedly helping to precipate out phosphate?

I've heard that time and time again, but I couldn't tell you how, why or even if it works.