Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

can't keep cheato alive

For some reason mine will not survive, it just loses color and disolves.

Other macro is growing good.

SG 1.0255 ph 8.1-8.2 KH 9.8 CA 410 temp 80-81 nitrates less than 5

Was running lights 24/7 in fuge but heard that may be bad for it so it like on 18 off 6 now.
Old 07/28/2007, 12:16 PM
Team RC Member

More light. I have mine on an HO mini light, 20 hrs on, 4 off. I also hear if you run light 24/7 it will dissolve. Needs its beauty sleep.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/28/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
More light. I have mine on an HO mini light, 20 hrs on, 4 off. I also hear if you run light 24/7 it will dissolve. Needs its beauty sleep.
I have 3 20w 6500K CF over the fuge. Do I need more ?
Old 07/30/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

What is a cheato?
Old 07/30/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Question

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 07/30/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

cheato is short for cheatomorphia. it's a type of macro algea that is typically kept in a fuge (refugium) for nutrient export (typically PO4 and NO3).
~Brian
Old 07/30/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I can't seem to find a picture of cheatomorphia. Can someone post one up?
Old 07/30/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Chaetomorpha (note spelling) http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2401

http://micropipes.com/gallery/v/reef...orpha.jpg.html
Old 08/07/2007, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

I've been having problems w/ chaeto too...it dissolves...doesn't seem to really be growing. I DO LEAVE my lights n 24/7 because i have some calupera in there too and hear it could cause problems in my tank if I don't run the lights 24/7. Is that true? Is th calupera killing the chaeto?
Old 08/11/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

I start with a big lump and a few months later mine is gone also what gives ??
Old 08/12/2007, 08:16 AM
Here's lookin at you

Quote:
Originally posted by balmiesgirl
I've been having problems w/ chaeto too...it dissolves...doesn't seem to really be growing. I DO LEAVE my lights n 24/7 because i have some calupera in there too and hear it could cause problems in my tank if I don't run the lights 24/7. Is that true? Is th calupera killing the chaeto?
Remove the caulerpa and provide a dark cycle for the cheato, it will quickly take up any slack for the caulerpa. Caulerpa does release toxins which may be able to inhbit the growth of other plant life, but I dont think enough study has been done.

For some reason some people just cant kep chaeto, perhaps there is some nutrient deficiency or inadequate light. Regular fish feeding should be adequate to keep phosphates and nitrates available, and regular water changes may be able to keep the rest available. dosing iron in small quantities may also help. Chaeto has been shown to gain a richer color when iron is dosed. If you shold decide to go this route follow the manufactirers instructions and start with a half dose then if necessary work your way up to a full dose slowly over the course of days or weeks.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 08/12/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Hi Flow through the Cheato IMO is also very important, i had to get mine to tumble before i noticed any growth, i also have in another tank Cheato spinning which actually insnt growing and yet has PO4 NO3 and i dose iron
Old 08/13/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

i got a baseball size 6 months ago in my eclipse 12 tank with a 13 watt 10K light and it has stayed the same size plus seperated small bits. it is near the intake tube, but overall i think it likes a very high flow enviroment.
Old 08/13/2007, 06:37 PM
Here's lookin at you

I have 2 maxi jet 1200 pointed directly into my cheato ball.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 08/13/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

I've noticed chaeto grows well with the aid of GFOs as they have iron, and also with the aid of calcium reactors as they have carbon dioxide. Lighting and tumbling action are also important too, and also don't run the lights 24/7.
Old 08/15/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

The only reason people associate running lights 24/7 is to help keep the plants from sporing.

But in my experience cheto doesn't seem to be as likely to spore. Has anyone had there cheto spore?

When plants spore in saltwater, they form gammeades (sp?) and release them along with the inner cell liquid / toxins in to the water, leaving a translucent clear body.

A large spore session, and you have quite a hefty spike in allot of undesirable chemicals, including ammonia (after the organics start to decay).

So because plants need Dark time, just as much as light time, I would recommend 6 to 8 hours of light on the cheto.
and good current flow.

I personally don't tumble it. I have it in a 5" deep tray approx 8 inches wide, and 24" long, and flow water through it, Aquaclear 402 powerhead turned down to medium to high flow.

I stretch out the cheto like a loose matt, and completely fill the bottom 2 inches of my tray. The cheto thickens up quickly, and once it reaches the top of the water, I re thin it down, and start the groth over.

NOTE: Please forgive my spelling....lol, its the thought that counts right?
Old 08/16/2007, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScarabRa
.....I personally don't tumble it. I have it in a 5" deep tray approx 8 inches wide, and 24" long, and flow water through it, Aquaclear 402 powerhead turned down to medium to high flow.

I stretch out the cheto like a loose matt, and completely fill the bottom 2 inches of my tray. The cheto thickens up quickly, and once it reaches the top of the water, I re thin it down, and start the groth over.
someone asked for a pic of my tray in a pm, So i figured id post it here too.

I dont sell these, this is an adaption of a freshwater above tank bilogical filter, just used it cause it was the perfect size, and it was free...lol

NOTE: Please forgive my spelling....lol, its the thought that counts right?