Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Mrs waggs

How do you use mrs waggs to buffer alk and ph? Is there a recipe? Is it a liquid or powder? How much per gallon?
Old 12/28/2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

2 teaspoons per gallons (max) mix with RO water..let it settle...done.
drip it slowly or use with auto top off..

walmart has it for $2 \ can.
Old 12/28/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Is it a liquid?
Old 12/28/2007, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

powder
Old 12/28/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

So at 2 teaspoons per gallon it the tank has a water volume of 100 gal then I would use 200 teaspoons? That sounds like a lot. I am trying to increase my alk. It was at 5 and now I am at 7. I had used oceans reef but now that that is all gone I wanted a cheaper easier solution.
Old 12/28/2007, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ninjamini
So at 2 teaspoons per gallon it the tank has a water volume of 100 gal then I would use 200 teaspoons? That sounds like a lot. I am trying to increase my alk. It was at 5 and now I am at 7. I had used oceans reef but now that that is all gone I wanted a cheaper easier solution.
Steve, do some research on dosing kalkwasser on the chemetry forum.
Mrs wages is food grade kalkwasser used for pickling. I have not seen it in the walmart but my publix stock it by the tons.
Old 12/28/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

i have just under 5 cans of it. lmk if you want some.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogger Castells
Steve, do some research on dosing kalkwasser on the chemetry forum.
Mrs wages is food grade kalkwasser used for pickling. I have not seen it in the walmart but my publix stock it by the tons.
what section is it in???

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 12/28/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...s=&forumid=112

or
this is a good article
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php
Old 12/28/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

sorry i meant what section in publix did you find mrs. wages in . Been using TLF, kinda expensive....

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 12/29/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ninjamini
Steve,

1-2 teaspoons per top off water... NOT VOLUME OF WATER IN THE TANK....
good luck...

Carlos
Old 12/29/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WLDSHARK
Steve,

1-2 teaspoons per top off water... NOT VOLUME OF WATER IN THE TANK....
good luck...

Carlos
Thank you. That would seem to be more of a maintenance for the tank. I am trying to raise alk from 7.

Although tonight I went and bought Kent Marine Pro-Buffer dKH to do it. Not knowing what or how to use mrs waggs makes me think its better to wait for a diy additive. I just hope the kent stuff is good.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Steve,
in the long run dosing limewater(Mrs Wages)will be good for your tank.Limewater will boost calcium/alk,help to buffer the tank & can help precipitate phosphates out of the water-all good stuff.If you don't have a high calcium demand in your tank,then limewater may be all you need.I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to hit the perfect number for alk or calcium.Instead try & go for stability.Read up on making/dosing kalk & maybe consider using it to replace your evaporated water.It is the only thing I dose in my tank(approx 3 gallons daily) & it has always kept water parameters stable.HTH .
Old 12/29/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 45commando
Steve,
in the long run dosing limewater(Mrs Wages)will be good for your tank.Limewater will boost calcium/alk,help to buffer the tank & can help precipitate phosphates out of the water-all good stuff.If you don't have a high calcium demand in your tank,then limewater may be all you need.I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to hit the perfect number for alk or calcium.Instead try & go for stability.Read up on making/dosing kalk & maybe consider using it to replace your evaporated water.It is the only thing I dose in my tank(approx 3 gallons daily) & it has always kept water parameters stable.HTH .
Yea I knew that. However after a long time of testing I though my alk was 7 and ph was 7.8 and my calcium was 520. Those numbers were very stable with nearly weekly testing.

Unfortunately my tests were wrong. In fact if it was not for the bleached coral and the leather doing poor I still would not know. Thanx again to Eco reef for testing my water. They found the issue. I bought another test and my old test still gives the wrong answer.

I never dosed limewater because I thought my calcium was too high. Now I think I will.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 45commando
can help precipitate phosphates out of the water-.
Really? How?
Old 12/31/2007, 02:28 PM
Addicted to the Reef

two ways. water can only hold so much stuff.. boost CA and ALK ( kalk boost BOTH ca and alk) and other stuff cant stay disolved
second the phosphate has trouble staying in solution at a high ph ( the point taht the kalk hits the water will be REALLY high like 10 for a fraction of a second)

as well as the water you mix it with will precipitate the po4 ( so no added po4 from top off

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 12/31/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

So where does the phosphates go? I mean if the water can not hold it?

Quote:
Originally posted by A.T.T.R
two ways. water can only hold so much stuff.. boost CA and ALK ( kalk boost BOTH ca and alk) and other stuff cant stay disolved
second the phosphate has trouble staying in solution at a high ph ( the point taht the kalk hits the water will be REALLY high like 10 for a fraction of a second)

as well as the water you mix it with will precipitate the po4 ( so no added po4 from top off
Old 12/31/2007, 03:44 PM
Addicted to the Reef

to the bottom of the tank
in the tank it will settle and possiably caught in filter ( same way lanthium will do it)(aka liquid po4 remover)

or in the case of removing it from the top off. it will precipitate it in the container before dosing
it will redisolve eventualy .. not the best way to help with po4 just a small slight tiny bonus

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 12/31/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

So its kinda still there just not in the water column. Wouldn't it eventually cause an issue. It would build up over time.