Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Is this a problem or not please help identify

I have had this Pink Thick Branched Birdsnest in my tank for over a year now. It has been towards the back of the tank about midways up. I recently noticed that some algae or "?" has appeared on one of the limbs. Can someone help identify the cause or it this is just normal die off caused by lack of light.

As a precaution I took it out and dipped it in an iodine coral dip and then replaced it in the middle of my tank. I was worried that it might be AEFW but its green and slimy like algae buildup. It originally got this from LiveAquaria as a certified captive grown coral.

Also is there treatment? My thoughts were to cut that portion off or just leave it alone.

There are no other signs of this on any of my other SPS corals.

Old 12/25/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

there dont appear to be any signs of pests, (i.e. AEFW eggs or RB from the picture) in my opinion this is probably just normal tissue loss due to a lack of light. this is completly normal, and is inevitable after any acro reaches a certain size.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:26 PM
Catch and release

Well that's a Seriatopora so AEFW and red bugs will not infest it.
That looks like typical recession for a birdsnest especially in a lower flow, lower light area.
More flow will likely help but it's probably not anything to worry about either way.
hth, Chris
Old 12/25/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

my pink pocci colony does the same kinda recedes in the inner areas from lack of light/flow no worries just keep an eye on it it should be fine but it wont have any pest like mentioned before RB's & AEFW's dont like those corals

MASVC member
Old 12/26/2007, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanks all, thats a big relief.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Definitely just no light an flow. The tissue has pretty much died off and you are looking at the pure calicium carbonate without living tissue to ward of the film algae. There is absolutely no issue here at all and I suggest just leaving it alone before you do cause an issue!

I suspect you have had that part down in or on the live rock! I dont suspect actually I know!

No worries bro
Old 12/26/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Nothing to worry about. Reefs are built through corals growing and lower parts get shaded and the flow blocked creating STN and die-off making a "rock" foundation.