Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 08/15/2004, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

Pics of my Tank:

Heres my 72 Gallon Bow Front Tank.

Fishes in Aquarium:
- Lawnmower Blenny

Inverts:
- 1 Serpent Star
-35 Blue legged crabs
-35 Astrea Snails

Corals:
-Button Poylp
-Green Zoanthids
-Green Flower Pot Coral
-Kenya Tree Frag
-Xenia Frag
-Candy Cane
-Blue Mushrooms
-Green Star Poylps frag

Pictures:

Old 08/15/2004, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

What fishes should I get that are reef safe, and have lots of color?
Old 08/15/2004, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Looking really good. How long has your tank been runing?
Premium Member

looks good! how long's it been up?
what kind of lights are those?

LT
Premium Member

I mean't running!
Old 08/15/2004, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

By the way what's the plastic cup for?
Old 08/15/2004, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

The tank has been running for about 4 years, but never had a chance to buy anything for it, because i was too busy..the lights are the Current Orbit lighitng system, 65x4 16,500 k. The plastic cup is for feeding. I put frozen brine shrimp with water, and when it melts i feed it.
Old 08/15/2004, 04:59 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Looking good! I really like your rock work, it looks VERY natural and has tons of caves and spots to place corals.

As for fish, I recomend getting the "Marine Fishes" by Scott Michael. it has over 500 easy to understand profiles with pictures that will help you when stocking your tank. I love Clowns and Wrasses as they make great community fish.

Rock Anemone
Old 08/15/2004, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

nice tank i agree with some clowns and maybe a type of goby
Old 08/15/2004, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

How can i lower my phosphate levels? I already bought phosphate removing bags that you put in your filter..but can anything bring phosphate down faster?
Old 08/15/2004, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 08/15/2004, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

First off, are you using RO/DI water? Tap water can be full of phosphates. Secondly, instead ofbringing the phosphates down quickly, why not do it slowly and permanently by installing a refugium?
Tank looks great!
Good luck,
Fred
Old 08/15/2004, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Im using tap water. Im thinking about installing a refugium soon...but is there anyway i can bring it down with out a refugium for now?
Old 08/16/2004, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

I suggest RO/DI water. Nice looking tank.
Old 08/16/2004, 12:36 AM
8BALL_99
Unregistered

Looking good. I love bowfronts Here is a old pic of mine. Looks alot better now.

Old 08/16/2004, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

if you keep using tap water youll never get PO4 down. your tap apparently has a concentration of it. i had the same problem. i tried phos-ban, PhosGuard, and a poly filter. my levels didnt start dropping until i got an alternate source of water. one thing you can do to help (if better water is not an option) is let the water sit out for a few days to let some of the heavy metals evaporate out. most treatments dont remove PO4 and the only way to remove totally is evaporation. also i would reccomend the poly filter before and after you change water sources. itll help with all metals. HTH

LT
Old 08/16/2004, 09:43 AM
Salt is my bestest friend

umm...when things evaporate....it leaves the heavy metals behind in the bucket and only evapourates fresh distilled water so by doing that you are just getting more heavy metals in a concentrated solution.

55G Long All-Glass Tank (48x18x12 inches)
Aqua C Remora Skimmer
Aquaclear 300 Power Filter
2 MJ 1200's
1 Powerhead 301
Visi-Therm 150 watt Heater
216watts T5 Lighting (4x54w Tek-Light)
Old 08/16/2004, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

I was looking at the same lighting fixture you have, have you been happy with it? I'm trying to decide on either the 4x65 or the 4x96, double the price for the 96. Your tank looks great with the lights, so I would love to hear any feedback you have about them. Thanks in advance...........
Old 08/16/2004, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

The lights are great, i have 65x4, but i would perfer metal halides. You can goto www.aquariumlight.com and buy the system for like 309..and the bulbs cost like 30 each...but if you dont want metal halides, then these lights work really well too..
Old 08/16/2004, 01:17 PM
8BALL_99
Unregistered

4x65 watt pc

2x250watt MH

I vote for MH, Made my tank look,, well you can tell a lil even in just a pic
Old 08/16/2004, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
umm...when things evaporate....it leaves the heavy metals behind in the bucket and only evapourates fresh distilled water so by doing that you are just getting more heavy metals in a concentrated solution.
im not so sure this is true. when i started in FW way back when i was told to let the water stand for 48 hours prior to using it so that the chlorine/chloramine and hard metals would evap out. ive been using this method to rid my tap water of chlorine/chloramine (the only thing im worried about in tap for FW use) for years now. i just went home and tested some tap water thats been sitting in a bucket since yesterday afternoon. the TDS of the water is now 65. my TDS of tap is usually about 90-100 out of the sink. so im not sure of the exact science of it or whats coming out, but something is evaporating out of the bucket at a faster rate than the water. therefore i think its beneficial to let it sit out. JME, im not the smartest person on this forum by anymeans but others have made the same reccomendation. i even remember some one making that reccomendation to me specifically about PO4 back when i was having hair algae problems because of my tap water. just take it FWIW.

LT
Old 08/16/2004, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
one thing you can do to help (if better water is not an option) is let the water sit out for a few days to let some of the heavy metals evaporate out. most treatments dont remove PO4 and the only way to remove totally is evaporation
Um...sorry but that is incorrect information. Heavy metals will not evaporate. Chlorine/chloramine will evaporate out as it is NOT a "hard metal" . Chlorine will actually return to a gaseous state faster than water, so it is the first thing to go.

If "heavy metals" or not so heavy metals (such as salt) were to evaporate then there would be no such thing as naturally occuring freshwater on our planet. Phosphates will not evaporate but only concentrate by leaving your water out.
Old 08/16/2004, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Has anybody heard how those Phosban reactors are working? I think they are from Two Little Fishes.
Old 08/16/2004, 04:10 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

One of my favorite fish with lots of color and 100% reef compatible is the Royal Gramma. There are also several Wrasse that are very pretty and reef safe. Clownfish are very pretty, but can be aggressive (depending on which one you get). I also like dwarf angels, but you have about a 50/50 chance that it will nip at your corals.
Old 08/16/2004, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Um...sorry but that is incorrect information. Heavy metals will not evaporate. Chlorine/chloramine will evaporate out as it is NOT a "hard metal" . Chlorine will actually return to a gaseous state faster than water, so it is the first thing to go.
thanks for clarifying, just sharing some wrong info that i was given. i guess FW fish and plants dont care about the ,etals casue i usually leave my water out for a few days before water changes. ill have to start using RO water for those guys too. thanks for the info and im sure my FW fishys will appreciate it too.

LT