Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 12/18/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Monster Leather

I have a huge leather that is about 18 to 20 inches in diameter. I want to propagate it, but am not sure how much I can cut off. Is cutting around the disc a valid way of making the leather smaller? I have seen videos where they cut the leather right down the middle, through the head and stem, and it still lived. Just not sure I could do that.

It definately has outgrown my 120. Suggestions on how best to go about making it smaller?
Old 12/18/2007, 06:58 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

You can pretty much cut a leather any way you want and it will be fine. I've chopped up several. The first few I took my time and made precise and exact cuts.... Now I just chop them up into cubes, doesn't seem to matter. For the mother you can actually cut the entire head off with no adverse effects. In less than a couple of weeks you will begin seeing polyps coming out of the end of the stalk.

Good Luck!! With an 18"-20" diameter leather you're gonna get a million babies
Old 12/18/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

i know you mean, i have 1 that about 14 inches. it needs to be chopped but the only problem is that it is attached to 4 different rocks, which makes taking it out of the tank almost impossible. my plan is to cut several pieces off at a time and allow time for healing, thus , i don't have to much of a slime issue
Old 01/12/2008, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

This helped me out alot!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1227167