Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

just an update. 2 nights ago i had a spawn that was ready to hatch. i only had about 20 fry hatch in the fry tank ( i messed up and pulled the pot a day early.. long story). but anyways, i have only put rotifers in the fry tank with no Roti-Rich and 2 days later all but 1 fry is still alive. this is good news.

how often are you guys doing water changes in the fry tank. and also are you making up fresh SW or are you useing broodstock water for the water change.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:12 PM
Seahorse Wrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeger1
I was confused, I didn't know it was called IA, just thought it was Phyto feast or shell fish diet. I was 100% sure what he was using just didn't know the product had so many names
Erik
There are many IA's, they are all used for different applications. I maintain my roti cultures with nannochloropsis, and enrich the roti's with Isochrysis. I started the roti culture because I have several pairs of northern erectus, and bbs are too large for the fry. I am raising my first batch of SI perculas ( six days old today ), and the roti's were just right for them. IA is fine for culturing roti's but not for green water applications, because it breaks down and adds to the ammonia problem in the rearing tank. Whereas, live phyto will be absorbed and not contribute to ammonia toxification.
Old 10/26/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Would DT's be a good phyto for the green water, or would I be going through so much of it that it would not be cost effective? I tried using IA in my rearing tank before seeing this thread and that was a complete failure, 100% fatality rate.
Old 10/27/2007, 11:05 AM
Seahorse Wrangler

DT's or any live phyto culture will work, just do a search on culturing it do determine how much you'll need.