Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/18/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

i like to chime in here. bart just kidding about quiting. if the house went up in flames, he will just start over again. quiting is not an option u fall, u get up and try again.right bart??
Old 12/18/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

oh that was a good one..Except he probally had to delete his mail box was full of pm,s...Give us a break and give us some pics...Please...at leat for christmas...

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/18/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Hmmmmm...I doubt he is kidding.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

no updates ?are u really quitting??
Old 01/01/2008, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

I JUST STARTED READING THIS THREAD FROM THE BEGINNING. I have been rivited for the past few hours. Missed the ball dropping and everything. Then I get here...quitting?? No way. I am speechless. I can't believe it. OMG You guys who have been in this thread from the beginning can't you help Bart? I feel so let down now. This is a joke right?
Old 01/01/2008, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

It looks like he is out for good.

I did the same (on a far smaller setuo)a few years back. My tank was lokking ok bought a bunch of fish than got ich and lost almost everything. I almost quit. It really hurt. Then I tried it again and a year or 2 later found RC.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 01/01/2008, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

Why is it so hard to believe??? Why are you so let down?? This was basically like dating a super model as your first girlfriend...Stuff happens. Give him time...Time heals all wounds.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:25 PM
Boomer gave me this

I can understand him wanting to quit but wish he'd re-consider.
I had a 180 reef for around 12+ years before I dove into a 600 of the same size as Barts.
I had a ton of problems with stuff when I started up the 600, even with all my past experience! I was really bummed and it was either throw in the towel or figure it out.
I too added all my corals and fish way way too fast.
I had the "it's a huge tank I can add more than a smaller tank" mentality and had many problems, Ich being one of them.

I had to throw about $7,000 more into it to upgrade the already brand new equipment to better stuff.

That and a ton of patience, several months later it all came around and looks pretty dang nice now.

It was an Ich infested slime/snot algae infested brown coral, yellowy water mess!

He has skills to say the least when it comes to building, I think Barts tank and equipment is much nicer than mine, that's not the problem though its the livestock which is so delicate it seems.

Anyway, I hope you have support of reefers in your area that can talk you into sticking it out, it's not the end of the world though it can be turned around if you really want it.

Chris
Old 01/03/2008, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

I suspect he's a bit like me.. The real challenge is setting up. I like the design, the selection of products, the assembly, and troubleshooting. Once it's all running... It's just a nice moving picture in the living room.

I suspect that is his case and when the s l o w husbandry comes to the fore and then you get dumped on your butt... A whole lotta of the fun jets out the window and it shifts to 'work'. Work that you pay a lot to do..

That's my theory anyway.

I wish him the best and hope that he can take the fun of the mechanical creation with him and not remember this as some abject failure, as the set up, most certainly wasn't.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
Sorry, but I will no longer have updates and as for the main display with all the equipments have been completely removed and will be sold in pieces. If anyone is interested please PM me for details. Reef keeping is just too hard and I decided to quit.
That's what happens when people try to rush this hobby. They seem to think it just a piece of furniture and start throwing money at it. Its an eco-system for God's sake.

The only thing that happens fast in this hobby is trouble! Then they sell it all!

Hope this is a wake up call for all you impatience people out there. It can and will happen again if you don't slow down.

Last edited by Otty; 01/03/2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Did he say there was an issue with his system, he could be breaking it down for personal reasons.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:40 PM
Be the valve.

Bart worked hard on his system. He decided to quit. I say leave him alone. 8 post Otty, impatience or not, let's not judge the guy.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:49 PM

believe me, I understand. So many reasons why a person would take a system down. It happens every day. My tank is like a full-time job.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

a shame the hardware work was impressive.

some people are more into the problem solving of the hardware than the animal husbandry part of the deal.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:10 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

test

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."